PDA

View Full Version : im home and the snake was waiting!

Bprewit
August 15, 2009, 12:47
I stepped out of the wifes truck right around 9:30 last night and instantly I heard the rattle. In the corner of the fence 2' from where i got bitten there sat a fat little diamondback rattlesnake. The dogs in the fence were going nuts trying to decide whether to worry about the snake or to greet me after not seeing me for two weeks. I grabbed the shorty 12g shotgun and managed to load it with one hand and proceded to the yard to confront the snake. I doubt it was the same snake but a nice fat 5' rattler regardless. The dogs were running in circles and the wife was screaming and by the time I calmed everyone down the damn snake made it under the porch out of my sight. It escaped to live another day.
I like snakes and always just leave them alone to eat the pack rats but I also believe in an eye for an eye. I will get revenge eventually but for now im just damn happy to be home!!!!!!!

Para Driver
August 15, 2009, 12:50
'revenge is a dish best served cold'... Ricardo Montelban

I'd kill 100 of them, and import some non-venomous species..

gobbler
August 15, 2009, 12:54
Originally posted by Para Driver
'revenge is a dish best served cold'... Ricardo Montelban

I'd kill 100 of them, and import some non-venomous species..

I agree, I would be collecting & have friends collect all the rat & king snakes I could find and populate the area. Plus go to the pound & get a truck load of cats!

gobbler

bob_e95482
August 15, 2009, 12:58
Welcome home.

saltshaker
August 15, 2009, 13:31
Glad you home w/ your family friend......do your therapy.......best of luck.....and stay away from to much vicodin....it's just as venomous....Larry

xtremerange
August 15, 2009, 17:50
5 footer. That sounds like good eating!

C-ya
August 16, 2009, 01:32
Glad to hear that you are home.

Originally posted by xtremerange
5 footer. That sounds like good eating!
Exactly what I was thinking!

SWOHFAL
August 16, 2009, 01:57
And I thought I had issues with a 5' black (racer) snake in my yard today. At least rattlers are hard to find around here.

Windustsearch
August 16, 2009, 08:37
I am glad to hear your recovery went well and you are back home.

akajun
August 16, 2009, 09:31
Man what is attracting all these snakes to your home?

Bawana jim
August 16, 2009, 09:44
They say pigs will eat snakes and clear your land of the problem.

jim

FAL freek
August 16, 2009, 11:34
Originally posted by xtremerange
5 footer. That sounds like good eating! Me three.

easttex
August 16, 2009, 11:42
Originally posted by akajun

Three things I would suppose: water and shelter. What else would attract a snake to your house during a hellacious drought?

Bprewit
August 16, 2009, 16:29
Thanks for the good wishes on being home!

Originally posted by akajun

My home is in a old fishing camp with lots of old abandoned houses around, kinda like a ghost town pretty much. The old houses and junk laying around are perfect living quarters for pack rats. BIG pack rats at that! So in come the reptiles and birds of prey. We are actually out of the drout with lots of rainfall recently which makes it even worse. The more green stuff makes for more rodents so of course more reptiles. The main factor right now is the start of the late summer breeding season. Diamondback rattlesnakes have a spring and a late summer/fall breeding season and during these times they are much more active meaning I run across them more often than usual. The first fall I lived here I caught and relocated 28 rattlesnakes from within 100' radius of the house. That fall I even ran across a Mojave rattlesnake which is a bit uncommon as this area is a bit out of their range. Mojave have really bad venom as it's a combination of sorts of hemotoxin and neurotoxin. They are definately a kill on sight for me and I keep my distance from them. They resemble a diamondback and are a bit more difficult to distinguish species from Diamondback, Prarie, Massassagua, and Blacktail rattlers that you come across out here.

Bprewit
August 16, 2009, 17:07
I doubt it but in case anyone cares about distinguishing between a diamondback (Crotalus atrox) and a mojave (Crotalus scutulatus) there are few subtle differences and the main way to tell is the number of scutes between their eyes, on the top of their head. Since the Mojave has a neurotoxin the symptoms are different sometimes causing people to misjudge a bite. Hemotoxin causes rapid swelling and pain at the injection site very soon after the bite. Neurotoxin from Mojave usually has a much delayed reaction with little to no swelling and pain at the injection site. Sometimes people bitten by a Mojave misjudge this thinking a diamondback gave them a dry bite and take their time in getting medical help.
Mojave has two scutes between the occular cavity like so-
http://www.californiaherps.com/snakes/images/cscutulatusheadcubriggs.jpg

western diamondback have 4 or more like so-
http://www.californiaherps.com/snakes/images/catroxheadbriggs.jpg

FAL freek
August 16, 2009, 23:08
Originally posted by Bprewit
I doubt it but in case anyone cares about distinguishing between a diamondback (Crotalus atrox) and a mojave (Crotalus scutulatus) there are few subtle differences and the main way to tell is the number of scutes between their eyes, on the top of their head. Since the Mojave has a neurotoxin the symptoms are different sometimes causing people to misjudge a bite. Hemotoxin causes rapid swelling and pain at the injection site very soon after the bite. Neurotoxin from Mojave usually has a much delayed reaction with little to no swelling and pain at the injection site. Sometimes people bitten by a Mojave misjudge this thinking a diamondback gave them a dry bite and take their time in getting medical help.
Mojave has two scutes between the occular cavity like so-
http://www.californiaherps.com/snakes/images/cscutulatusheadcubriggs.jpg

western diamondback have 4 or more like so-
http://www.californiaherps.com/snakes/images/catroxheadbriggs.jpg Don't know about you but only way I plan on being that close to look is after I eliminated the threat and am skinning the thing for some legless chicken dinner.

L1A1rocker
August 16, 2009, 23:40
Originally posted by Bprewit
I stepped out of the wifes truck right around 9:30 last night and instantly I heard the rattle. In the corner of the fence 2' from where i got bitten there sat a fat little diamondback rattlesnake. The dogs in the fence were going nuts trying to decide whether to worry about the snake or to greet me after not seeing me for two weeks. I grabbed the shorty 12g shotgun and managed to load it with one hand and proceded to the yard to confront the snake. I doubt it was the same snake but a nice fat 5' rattler regardless. The dogs were running in circles and the wife was screaming and by the time I calmed everyone down the damn snake made it under the porch out of my sight. It escaped to live another day.
I like snakes and always just leave them alone to eat the pack rats but I also believe in an eye for an eye. I will get revenge eventually but for now im just damn happy to be home!!!!!!!

Should make a nice belt.