PDA

View Full Version : Free anti-virus that doesn't require online registration?

lew
August 04, 2009, 18:53
Background: Found an older Dell laptop (I know.:rolleyes: ) in the dumpster (:D). Some electrical tape around the plug end and all is well. Fire it up and everything works, except I can see why the hapless college student discarded it in the first place and convinced mommy and daddy to get another: The only anti-virus programs installed are limited-time free offers and the machine has 67 infections. Some spyware, malware, and a handful of Trojan horses. The anti-virus programs wouldn't reveal the locations of the offending programs so I could delete them manually.

My apartment complex provides free wireless, so I don't have a modem where I can just plug this in and download a program. Even if I could, that probably wouldn't be such a wise idea (or would it?). If I can, I'll just take it to me mum's house and get it done. The laptop is not equipped with a wireless card.

Request: I need a free anti-virus program that does not require internet registration to work. One that I can download on this computer, put on a disk, and install on the dumpster baby.

Since I got this for free and only plan on putting music on it and running my speakers in the living room, I don't really care to spend much, if any, money on the project.

Vielen Dank in advance.

ar15junkie
August 04, 2009, 20:26
Originally posted by lew
Background: Found an older Dell laptop (I know.:rolleyes: ) in the dumpster (:D). Some electrical tape around the plug end and all is well. Fire it up and everything works, except I can see why the hapless college student discarded it in the first place and convinced mommy and daddy to get another: The only anti-virus programs installed are limited-time free offers and the machine has 67 infections. Some spyware, malware, and a handful of Trojan horses. The anti-virus programs wouldn't reveal the locations of the offending programs so I could delete them manually.

My apartment complex provides free wireless, so I don't have a modem where I can just plug this in and download a program. Even if I could, that probably wouldn't be such a wise idea (or would it?). If I can, I'll just take it to me mum's house and get it done. The laptop is not equipped with a wireless card.

Request: I need a free anti-virus program that does not require internet registration to work. One that I can download on this computer, put on a disk, and install on the dumpster baby.

Since I got this for free and only plan on putting music on it and running my speakers in the living room, I don't really care to spend much, if any, money on the project.

Vielen Dank in advance.

Lew,

Its been awhile since I've done this but I used to load AVG on a thumb drive to cleanup the basket cases the people at work would bring me to fix. I think they ask you for a registration code, but you can register from another computer.

http://free.avg.com/download-avg-anti-virus-free-edition?cmpid=fr_bn_free_670

Definition updates here

http://free.avg.com/download-update

lew
August 04, 2009, 20:42
Yeah, I tried that with AVG, but, with it not being connected to the internet, there's no way to register the program.

Rambozo
August 05, 2009, 09:28
You can try Clamwin, it's open source.

But to be honest, I find most antivirus software to be a bit flaky.

I would just start over with a clean format.

TXscout
August 05, 2009, 22:03
Avira is a good one, but has a popup that opens when it updates daily. It isn't a resource hog and is one of the AV programs with the best sensitivity and specificity for detection (both known and wild)

AliYahu
August 08, 2009, 23:37
avg or avira, both work well. I haven't tried clamwin.
malwarebytes is fantastic at removing crapware as well.

Eli

Barbcue
August 09, 2009, 03:13
Ad-Aware..by lavasoft

and.. Super Anti Spyware

all i ever use and free..

stay away from AVG . the old versions where ok, but the new ones (8.5 )soak up processor power and always seem to run in the backround ,no matter what i do to try to turn it off.

i dumped AVG and i totally noticed the response in speed of my laptop..

AVG sucks

lew
August 09, 2009, 19:05
Thanks for the tip about Ad Aware. I used that in the past to good effect, but have since forgotten about it.

I've been using AVG for almost two years now. I like it and I haven't noticed it being a resource hog.

Thanks to the whole lot o' ya.:bow: