PDA

View Full Version : Mesquite Fun show


gunnut1
August 01, 2009, 20:18
AWP101 and I traveled to the east side of Dallas to the Big Town gun show. It was a pretty typical show as far as the dealers were concerned. It was a golden S**T show as usual.

But, I was very encouraged! There was plenty of powder, primers and ammo to be had. Most of the powder was in the $30.00 a pound range which is about $10.00 too high, all types of primers were from about $35.00 a thousand to $45.00 a thousand. Again A little high. Ammo was still at it's ludachrist prices. The show was not crowded at all. So looks like the panic buying may be over and we will start to see plenty of reloading supplies on the shelves soon. :bow:

the gman
August 01, 2009, 21:13
Gary, I'm honestly not trying to piss on your parade but as a dealer, I can't buy powder as cheap as you want it to be. HAZMAT fees rack up the price as does shipping.

The days of cheap as chips stuff is over. Figure that Varget is imported from Australia (of all places, :tongue: to Andy :biggrin: ) & has to be shipped to the port & then to Hogdons & then to distributors & then to the dealer, that's an awful lot of shipping charges.

Alliant has a lot of powders made in Europe & Scandinavia, ditto on the shipping.

I will readily agree with you that ammo is way overpriced, especially the domestically produced pistol ammo. I have seen no massive increases in prices for that at the distributors. Ammo sellers are cutting their own throats IMHO. Nothing wrong with asking what you want but when you are stupid high, folks will give you the finger & remember you when prices come back down, good luck on a long business career.....:devil:

Surplus is a different story, always has been. The war on terror is using up a bunch of what would have been surplus & will for quite some time. I doubt we will ever see a return to the good old days of 10 to 15 cents a round .308.

Goodwill to all here.

gunnut1
August 02, 2009, 00:31
Originally posted by the gman
Gary, I'm honestly not trying to piss on your parade but as a dealer, I can't buy powder as cheap as you want it to be. HAZMAT fees rack up the price as does shipping.

The days of cheap as chips stuff is over. Figure that Varget is imported from Australia (of all places, :tongue: to Andy :biggrin: ) & has to be shipped to the port & then to Hogdons & then to distributors & then to the dealer, that's an awful lot of shipping charges.

Alliant has a lot of powders made in Europe & Scandinavia, ditto on the shipping.

I will readily agree with you that ammo is way overpriced, especially the domestically produced pistol ammo. I have seen no massive increases in prices for that at the distributors. Ammo sellers are cutting their own throats IMHO. Nothing wrong with asking what you want but when you are stupid high, folks will give you the finger & remember you when prices come back down, good luck on a long business career.....:devil:

Surplus is a different story, always has been. The war on terror is using up a bunch of what would have been surplus & will for quite some time. I doubt we will ever see a return to the good old days of 10 to 15 cents a round .308.

Goodwill to all here.

Yea I know but. Cabela's here in Fort Worth has Hodgon H4895 for $23.00 a pound. Another gun show has the same powder for $30.00 a can. This is powder that I can drive a few miles and pick up. Most gunshow prices are verging on gouge prices anyway.

The sad parts about ammo is the unknowing will pay the silly money prices for it. I saw Yugo 7.62X39 for $400.00 a case. CTD has Port battle packs for a mere $200.00 each. :eek:

FGD135
August 02, 2009, 15:22
At our local show yesterday, Varget was $160 cash for 8lbs and Unique was $100. I got some of both plus found a decent CETME for $373 cash from a private seller (odd number because after buying powder, a shotgun and a Pepsi it was all the cash I had on me.)

Encouraging.

Enjoy it now.

owlcreekok
August 02, 2009, 17:34
I have kept up with the numbers on powder and primers in the last year fairly well. The local gunshow prices run $4 - $10 the pound higher than what I can get it from Graf's.

One must keep in mind that when I make a Graf's order, I DO NOT pay hazmat. At least not 'directly'. With them, ya spend above a certain amount or order a certain amount of powder and they eat the hazmat. (a dealer account helps on some items, but not a big difference with this stuff)

I almost bought a couple 8# of that Radway surplus 4895 from Wideners, but shipping nad hazmat made the very point that George makes.

The time has come to either order large for yourself or pool with friends.

gunnut1
August 02, 2009, 18:48
Originally posted by williamsmith707
At our local show yesterday, Varget was $160 cash for 8lbs and Unique was $100. I got some of both plus found a decent CETME for $373 cash from a private seller (odd number because after buying powder, a shotgun and a Pepsi it was all the cash I had on me.)

Encouraging.

Enjoy it now.

I can't speak for Varget but that is a decent price for Unique. I think the last time I bought an 8lb keg is was about $98.00. But I did have to pay for the hazmat and shipping.

ER
August 02, 2009, 19:02
I bought Win748 here locally for $19.95 last Friday. Local WallyWorld has Unique at $22.93/lb

Radio
August 02, 2009, 22:23
Originally posted by owlcreekok

The time has come to either order large for yourself or pool with friends. In my opinion that time has always been. Pooled with others on about a $900 AIM Surplus order in 2001, chopped WAY down on shipping that way.

Got two more cases of Hirt on that order, sure wish I'd bought more back then. :cry:

--Radio

AndyC
August 03, 2009, 08:25
When I bought 4,000 LP primers recently, hazmat and shipping came to just over $30. That added about $7.50 onto each box of 1,000, making them $37.50 each.

Didn't really matter, though - my perspective was that I'd rather pay the extra $7.50 and have them in-hand than not.

gunnut1
August 03, 2009, 15:09
Originally posted by AndyC
When I bought 4,000 LP primers recently, hazmat and shipping came to just over $30. That added about $7.50 onto each box of 1,000, making them $37.50 each.

Didn't really matter, though - my perspective was that I'd rather pay the extra $7.50 and have them in-hand than not.

+1 mate.

I just did a "group buy" with my bud AWP101 and two of my BIL's on some .22 ammo form J&G. It is the good Wolf Match Target and they had it for $46.50 a brick of 500. We split the shipping and the total was just over $50.00 each. Not a bad price for some really great.22 ammo.

However, I saw plenty of it at the gun show for $50.00 for 500. But when we bought this I had no idea that it was becoming readily available.

I sure hope that this is a good sign that reloading components, bullets and ammo are finally getting caught up, and the shortage is looking like it might be over.

owlcreekok
August 04, 2009, 08:47
What has the world come to ? :cry:

I have several bricks of .22 LR whose price tags range from $8.99 through about $15.

:sad:

gunnut1
August 04, 2009, 11:10
Originally posted by owlcreekok
[B]What has the world come to ? :cry:

I have several bricks of .22 LR whose price tags range from $8.99 through about $15.




Over priced ammo that's what. I can remeber selling .22, 50 round boxes, in Dad's grocery store for about .35 a box. THOSE were the days!

gunnut1
August 04, 2009, 17:00
Oh yea. I did get a great buy on used P6 mags. $20.00 each. These are Sig mags and not after market! Even if the springs are shot, I still got a good bargain!

Beryl
August 05, 2009, 00:41
Big Town is usually a decent show, but I advise anyone to never set up a table there. In 2004, I had a practically new Colt 1911A1 Enhanced .38 Super stolen off my table the night after I set up. No public was allowed in before the next day, and we covered our table before we left Friday evening. Some asshole dealer or security guard lifted up the cover and took it, left the box and mags. The show promoters assume no liability for stolen firearms, even if it happens after hours.

It was most likely a dealer, because a couple of the more shady types were prowling the tables during set up and were particularly interested in my Colt. The same dealers came trolling by the next morning and paid particular attention to the Colt box, but didn't express any particular alarm when I told them it had been stolen. I am not a dealer either. I was selling my collection because I had lost my job.

Well, it's on NCIC as a stolen gun now.

Para Driver
August 05, 2009, 08:22
I was at Mesquite on Sunday. That show has an interesting history..

2-3 years back, there was a rash of dealer ND's during the show. Seems that all the hotdogs were carrying loaded guns (CHL or otherwise) and they managed to pop off a couple rounds. Thankfully nobody was hurt, but for a couple shows they had the dealers go through a metal detector. Now the safety patrol has been significantly increased, and dealers caught without ties on their personal weapons get sent home.

Also, heard a similar theft story happen. Dealer had a gun on his table Saturday, I don't remember but it wasn't anything vanilla. It got stollen off his table during the show, he admits he was distracted and not paying proper attention, plus his guns were NOT tied together. On Sunday some MS13 type comes through the show selling the same exact weapon. Obviously word of the theft spread quickly on Saturday, and everyone was on the watch for this gun. Lil' ganbanger was arrested on the spot. He couldn't have been stupid enough (could he) to steal the gun and come back to the same venue to sell it?

Rifles are one thing, but I'm surprised not all the vendors will tie their handguns?

Blaster
August 05, 2009, 09:14
Originally posted by Beryl
Some asshole dealer or security guard lifted up the cover and took it,
Well, it's on NCIC as a stolen gun now.

That is one of the things that really bugs any table holder - when some asshat will lift the cover and check things out AFTER everything has been well covered for the evening. :mad: :mad:
Anyone doing that should get a good ass kicking.:devil: