PDA

View Full Version : Lost our twelve year-old dog today...

skfullgun
March 27, 2009, 21:14
We lost our twelve year old dog today. There was little warning. She was a small, terrier mix and came to us when she was three years old and abused. She was as ugly as hell, but the most loyal, protective dog I have ever had. She was a friend.

Early this morning she starting spewing bloody excrement. We had her at the vet as soon as they opened at 9:00 am. They gave her an IV and a massive dose of antibiotics. She perked up for a few minutes and then started to vomit blood. The vet told us her chances were slim but asked use to give her a few more hours hoping the antibiotics would work. They didn't. She died a few hours later.

The vet thinks she either had a stroke, some type of aneurism, or massive kidney failure.

We brought her home and buried her this evening. I spoke a few words:

"Molly, you were hard as hell to look at, but you were more loyal than most people I have met in life. I'll miss you."

The wife is a basket-case. She called Molly her "hemmorhoid" because she was always snuggled up next to my wife's butt when we were watching T.V. Our other dogs have spent this evening looking for Molly. They sense her absence and are upset. I know some will say they are picking up on our emotion, but I'm not so sure.

Captain Steinbrenner
March 27, 2009, 21:21
Sorry for your loss bro.RIP:bigangel:

Andy the Aussie
March 27, 2009, 21:25
Sorry for your loss mate, they are truly members of the family and we feel their passing in much the same way. Gotta go hug my two now....

Andy

'TUDE
March 27, 2009, 21:29
Very sorry to hear of your loss bud. You've done her proud by remembering her with so much compassion. Those with four legs and personalities are family just the same. Painful to lose.

lutefisk
March 27, 2009, 22:16
Sorry...

splattermatic
March 27, 2009, 22:21
i feel for ya bro. i lost my cubby on 10-10-08. mom ran him over......
a good dog is a hard thing to lose.

brownknees
March 27, 2009, 22:43
You done good taking in an abused dog.
Giving her a few happy times will count for both of you.
I have no idea what I'll do when my critters times come.:bigangel:

bob_e95482
March 27, 2009, 22:50
I feel for you...

Bama Steve
March 27, 2009, 22:58
Mine is 12 and going down slowly - she is a stray we took too, or she took to us.
I can't imagine loosing such a loving and protective member of the family.

Best wishes to you guys - get another even though you don't want too - you can make more friends and love them too - we can't have enough close things in this life, try to give another a chance to fill that void.

Best!

(Sniffle!) . . .

ER
March 27, 2009, 23:31
I hate these threads, but always reply to them. I feel fer ya man:cry: :cry: :cry:

I lost my Molly at 12 as well. It`s been almost 3 years and I think of her every day.

The stray we took in 2 yrs prior to Molly`s passing is laying at my feet. When I brought Molly home to bury her, Sadie stayed by the tailgate of my jeep until I took Molly out to lay her in the grave. Dogs grieve as well, but are the best thing for us to get over our lost friends.

Get another and give it as much love as they give you. It worked for me.

To your Molly and mine :whiskey: :whiskey:
May they continue to run and play, free from illness, awaiting us.......

Stranger
March 28, 2009, 16:56
Originally posted by skfullgun

We brought her home and buried her this evening.

Sorry for you loss.

I suppose I had it easy. I can vividly remember the chilly October morning when my dad and I buried Lady, our 13 year old Bloodhound. I went out that morning at six to feed her and found her laying on her side, dead.

We had her since I was five. I can still remember trying to sleep in the back of the Datsun station wagon when we brought her home. Finding a place that wasn't wet with dog pee made sleep difficult.

On a lighter note, if you ever want to work out your sorrows, dig a five foot deep grave for a 120 lb dog. I was so tired after doing that I couldn't cry.

squid8286
March 28, 2009, 17:23
I'm very sorry for your loss. All my dogs are "throwaways". They all came from abusive situations. They are my children, and I know how bad it hurts to lose one.

GW870
March 28, 2009, 17:27
Ah, shit, y'all!
Way too many memories come bubbling back, e'specilly
after I've had a couple.

I've had the pain, bud.

GW

Goderator
March 28, 2009, 17:27
:sad:

RT
March 28, 2009, 17:53
sorry. I wish i had words to help and your MS to feel better , but i don't~RT

URBAN ASSAULT
March 28, 2009, 18:16
We feel for you both, and the pain you're feeling right now.

Take care.

-urban

Nepag
March 28, 2009, 18:43
Sorry, Pal. I've had dogs all my life, and I still remember losing each and every one of them. I just wish all my human friends were as consistently loyal and brave as each of my pups. I've got two "rescue" dogs now and they're each as good as any purebred I've ever owned. The only saving grace when their time comes, is that in the future there will be a new face to earn your love. Hopefully you'll never forget the "old" guys, but will find space in your heart for the new guy as well.

phillip
March 28, 2009, 18:59
Sorry about your loss sk.:sad:

Scott S
March 30, 2009, 13:23
Sorry to hear the news. Losing a family member as close as it sounds like Molly was is a traumatic event for all. Take care, and remember her well.

Muggzy
March 30, 2009, 13:45
sorry to hear you lost your friend, skfullgun.

Randy

jaykden
March 30, 2009, 14:58
:sad:

sorry to hear

Right Side Up
March 30, 2009, 19:10
Sorry to hear it. I can hum a few bars of what you went through. My GF and I had to put down our 13 YO Cocker mix today. She was diagnosed with cancer 2.5 weeks ago. She declined very fast. We stayed up with her all last night. She had to sit up because if she laid down she couldn't breath. I took off work today and we all sat in the yard and enjoyed the weather. We took her to the vet at 4 o'clock.

She got a nice burial and will be missed.

I sure hope there is a place for good pets in Heaven.

Trixie
March 30, 2009, 19:34
Sorry to hear about your Molly-girl, Skfullgun. My condolences.

broncobisley1
March 30, 2009, 21:46
Sorry to hear about your loss. There's a reason they are called man's best friend and are hard to lose.

Not looking forward to the day I have to face that with my Chessie. He's almost 10.

skfullgun
March 31, 2009, 21:59
Planted some flowers and created a little area around her grave today. It is amazing how you miss them in the course of everyday life.