PDA

View Full Version : Need A New Shredder

gman
March 26, 2009, 23:55
Need a new shredder. I want a cross-cut for under $75.00. I'm not shredding files, but a few sheets at a time, into little pieces. My work-place has a heavy-duty model and makes little squares out of paper, but it can take a whole file at a time, and prolly runs a couple hundred bucks at least. I don't need to reduce a shred to squares, but something less-than 1 1/2" long. My statements fit a CC number into that space. Don't want it to go out to the trash like that.

Does anyone have a shredder they can recommend that fits my needs, and I can get off gaybay or Amazon?

Thanks!

Enquiring Minds
March 27, 2009, 01:00
Got a Royal CX7000 from Cost-Ho in Vegas for $30 about 9 years ago... only 7 sheets at a time... inch-long confetti output.

The heat build-up during an extended shredding session makes a thinkin' man worry about the ChiCom quality... but it hasn't caught fire yet, and is still shreddin' away, with not a lick of maintenance... :tongue:

jerrymrc
March 27, 2009, 06:44
I have a Fellowes P50CM and like it allot. Cross cut, small pieces. I have given it a workout on a number of occasions when getting rid of old files.

I have had it 5 years at least and paid about $40 back then.

JohnnyMac
March 27, 2009, 08:33
Watch the Sunday sales fliers for ads from Office Depot, Staples, and even Best Buy. They'll have shredders on sale from time to time. Also check local listings for companies that sell used office furniture and equipment. You can sometimes pick up heavy-duty office unit for a little more than what you'd pay for a homeowner grade shredder at a big-box store.

JMc

gman
March 27, 2009, 11:48
Thanks for the recommendations and the heads-up on the sale stuff.

Thanks again!

cpd109
March 27, 2009, 20:54
I had a Royal cross cut that worked OK until (it sounded like) the gears gave out, while in warranty. I sent it back and got a replacement that never did run at all. Plugged it in, but nothing ever happened. Bought a Fellows that is a strip shredder. It isn't small peices, but when I change the bag, it goes in the kitchen and the firs thing to go in it is coffee grounds. Wet, hot, coloring. Messes up the possibility of reassmebling the strips.
Be careful though- in 1979 when the Iranians took our embassy, they reassembled strips of classified material.
Anyway, I think thugs are too lazy to reassemble strips to a conmplete document.

kerplode
March 27, 2009, 22:53
I have an Aurora AS1018CD (http://www.target.com/Aurora-Crosscut-Paper-Shredder-AS1018CD/dp/B000G7OB16) that I picked up at Target a year or so ago. It'll do 10 sheets at a time and will also handle CDs and Credit Cards. I've used the hell out of it, and it has held up pretty well.

renaissance_warrior
March 28, 2009, 16:12
You could check out craigslist if you are in a big city. Just search for shredder, and you would be amazed at what you would find with companies closing etc. Some screamin deals there.