PDA

View Full Version : WTK about night vision stuff

deerollman
April 27, 2008, 19:49
i see natchez has the new NV monoculars with the led looking things on the front. is that an advancement in NV or are they just a gimmick? i dont need one but ive been wondering what the are.

English Mike
April 27, 2008, 20:52
With no link to the product, I'll take a guess:

They're near IR laser illuminators, which extend the usable range of some NV equipment.

I'll wait for Gen II or IV to become more affordable, as even the most up to date Gen I & II stuff still has its faults.

gman552
April 27, 2008, 20:55
Is this the item?

Weaver NIGHTVIEW MONOCULAR 2X DIGITAL ZOOM - Natchez Shooters Supply (http://www.natchezss.com/product.cfm?contentID=productDetail&prodID=SN849397&src=tpCtg)

I have no experience with it, but apparently it's not even a Generation 1 device, with which at least amplifies moonlight, and only needs an IR illuminator for pitch darkness.

The Weaver "digital scope" device has to have the illuminator on at all times, or you don't see anything you couldn't see with dark-adapted eyes.

Someone correct me if I'm off base.

Some reviews:

http://www.epinions.com/Weaver_Nightview_Digital_Night_Vision/display_~reviews

According to one reviewer, the IR illuminators also emit a visible (to the naked eye) faint red glow - so much for stealth :p

snowhawk jockey
April 27, 2008, 23:16
I have one of those built into my camcorder. Not what I would call "nightvision" but you can "see" in the dark. Without the infared illumination, the devise is useless. I wonder what kind of range the illumination has. 2x, at about the 20-25ft range mine has, is really helpful.:rolleyes:
If this unit is something else, I wanna know so I can buy one!

ggiilliiee
April 28, 2008, 00:15
buddy had the "OWL" brand.... 150 bones ...20 k amplification ...worked real well at 100 yards ...moonlight was a verrrrry bight image ..but never tried it pitch black...seemed like a good "cheap" one ...

aussiedave
April 28, 2008, 00:55
a couple of years ago i did security work at ITT in roanoke, i was the security guard in the R&D building, you think the gen 3 stuff is good you should see the gen 5 stuff they were working on, WOW. hate to be the enemy thinking he had the cover of darkness/fog or smoke, he would be screwed in any of the above...