PDA

View Full Version : Job dilema

newfalguy101
April 15, 2008, 23:35
No not MY job, I love my job

Its my kid, my 14 year old kid to be exact

here is the scoop

I am a single parent working fulltime, we have only the one vehicle, and live in a small town.

I work from ( as of now anyway ) 7-3:30, and it could conceivably be 6-4:30 this summer, M-F ( Saturdays could be added this summer )

There are only a very few businesses in town

1 resturaunt
2 bars
2 hair places
1 daycare
1 assisted living home

Like I said a small town, the closest town is 8 miles, the closest town of any size is 20 miles

She is hoping to babysit this summer, but I would lke her to have more options in case that doesnt pan out.

Any and all ideas for possible jobs would be appreciated

Thanks

Oh she gets out of school in about 4 weeks, so nows the time for her to be pounding the pavement a fillin out aps!!

Tuscan Raider
April 16, 2008, 00:57
Does she help out around the house? You might want to consider
paying her for her time on that. Its not always easy.

Any lawns around town to mow?

Being 14, its going to be kind of hard for her to find a place to
work on the books, I would think.
The hair place might be able to hire her for a couple of hours a week.
They usually work for cash,and could pay her out of their pockets.

Good luck to her, glad she wants to work instead of laying around.

dscottch
April 16, 2008, 07:52
Hey buddy, I grew up in a small town and can appreciate the limited possibilities. Something I thought of, get her (or you) an ebay account, and sell the "junk" people have laying around their houses. Old jars, axes, comics, etc. I've heard of people making fair money doing that. I know if I had a teenage girl (I have all boys) I would prefer she work somewhere I could trust is safe. Oh, and I know the challenges of a single parent home (both as kid and parent), I salute you!

renaissance_warrior
April 16, 2008, 16:05
Might want to think about talking to any farmers in the area, lots to do there and I'm sure they could use the help. It doesn't have to be physical labor either. Just a thought.

newfalguy101
April 16, 2008, 16:31
thanks for the idea guys

keep em coming

I figure the more possibilities there are, the more likely she will find something she likes.............course its ONLY three months, its not like picking a career so the "likes" part is really just icing, if it happens ;)

John Culver
April 16, 2008, 17:00
1 assisted living home

She could get her CNA (certified nursing assistant) papers (about a month of classes, not too hard) and be very employable at the assisted living home. AND would help her later on alot.

TFA303
April 17, 2008, 12:22
She might also try for a "mother's helper" job. Keep an eye on the kids while they're out of school. That way, she's committed to X hours per day, Y days per week instead of the last-minute stuff you get with babysitting and she can plan her budget (an important life skill). Plus, it's daytime work.

WJ-Polish Guy
April 17, 2008, 12:39
Originally posted by John Culver
1 assisted living home

She could get her CNA (certified nursing assistant) papers (about a month of classes, not too hard) and be very employable at the assisted living home. AND would help her later on alot.

If she find, she can do that job, it can turn into future career in healthcare. Those are "good" jobs with money, as opposed to whatever else you have on that list.
Just do not force her. One must have strong character to deal with this kind of job.

newfalguy101
April 17, 2008, 16:38
Originally posted by TFA303
She might also try for a "mother's helper" job. Keep an eye on the kids while they're out of school. That way, she's committed to X hours per day, Y days per week instead of the last-minute stuff you get with babysitting and she can plan her budget (an important life skill). Plus, it's daytime work.

This is actually what she is hoping for moreso than the onesy twosie kind of sitting jobs.

My thinking is a family that works and has kids in elemetary school will need daycare for the summer, and my daughter could charge 50%-75% of what the daycare does and still make pretty good money ( for a kid anyway ;) )