PDA

View Full Version : What to do in Ashville,N.C.?

MyTFAL
April 15, 2008, 20:25
So I have a scheduled trip to the Ashville area,what is there to do while the wife and kids putter around? Is there a Kick ass gun shop? A cool range I could bring a few toys if there is a place to shoot em, Any suggestions ? Thanks

Otis Treekiller
April 15, 2008, 20:35
If you're in the downtown area, you'll spend most of your time fending off the panhandlers..stinkin' bunch o' hippies. Welcome to Berkley East.

ThePitbullofLove
April 15, 2008, 21:10
+10

Patchouli does not equal a shower you dirty tree-huggers!

Tsm002
April 15, 2008, 21:13
Andrew's Geyser was pretty when I was younger. Some good hiking around that area as well, IIRC.

ER
April 15, 2008, 21:36
Asheville has been over-run by floridiots, ie retired new yorkers who moved to Florida, found out is was too dang hot there in the summertime, and bought yet another friggin house in the NC mountains for the summer.....

Bad news is it`s become a Brooklyn suburb........ Good news is we can sell land around here that`s so steep a goat can`t walk on it and the idiots will give $150,000/acre for it and think it`s cheap :rofl:

Asheville/Buncomb county has pretty much become uber-liberal in their local politics, and very anti-gun as well. Ditto the Berkley-East comment :rolleyes:

Linville Gorge(I-40 near Morganton....`bout 50mi east of A`ville) is a nice place and you can kinda get away from civilization if you want to.Gorge pics here (http://s139.photobucket.com/albums/q298/ER99/?sc=1&addtype=local)

Lots of touristy stuff in A`ville too, shopping, etc.

doktor_ecchs
April 15, 2008, 21:50
Assville is a drag unless yer a homo or a euro-hippie. :|

Oh...the "Orange Peel", a former black club that was revamped into a rock venue, was just voted one of the top 5 places in the US to catch a good music show by Rolling Stone...NOW they've done it. :rolleyes:

out come the wolves,
Dr. X :fal:

Otis Treekiller
April 15, 2008, 21:55
The Orange Peel...Robert Earl Keen plays there when he swings through NC. As much as I hate to miss an REK show, I just can't bring myself to go to Hippy Central!!!:(

younggun
April 15, 2008, 21:56
If you want dinner and a show stop by the cheapest country buffet you can find in yadkinville, the resturant provides the dinner, the other diners provide the show.

doktor_ecchs
April 15, 2008, 22:07
Originally posted by younggun
If you want dinner and a show stop by the cheapest country buffet you can find in yadkinville, the resturant provides the dinner, the other diners provide the show...

Yer gettin' better at this...:p

live n learn,
Dr. X :fal:

bykerhd
April 15, 2008, 23:25
Rent a motorcycle and take a ride.
Tail of the Dragon (http://www.tailofthedragon.com/)
Lots of interesting roads not far from Asheville.
Careful you don't add some ornamentation to the "Tree of Shame" though.:eek:

XHardrock
April 16, 2008, 05:26
As Byker mentioned great riding and west from A'ville towards Bryson City is very nice, also I haven't rafted on the French Broad but 1.5 hrs. drive south they have some great trips on the Chattooga river.
If you go be careful, that is where Deliverance was filmed but on the plus side when hippies hit the rivers they are called river rats and tend to smell better.

MordeanGrey
April 16, 2008, 08:46
The Biltmore Mansion is an impressive tour.

http://www.biltmore.com/

bykerhd
April 16, 2008, 11:30
The Biltmore Mansion tours are something the WIFE would really appreciate as well as you. Check out the website at Biltmoremansion.com.

It's an awesome place, but will eat up a day with no trouble.
Young kids may not do so well.
Lots of stairs & crowds. Running around or touching, etc. would not be encouraged.

chet
April 16, 2008, 11:40
Second the Linville area. I stayed at the Bear Den cabins not long ago. No secluded but not downtown either. Very,very nice cabins. My kids had a blast panning for gems in Linville and my wife found a couple nice ones. We also hit the gorge, the falls and the caverns. All good clean wholesome fun.
I would love to run the French Broad someday with my boys. Lots of hiking camping and what not to be had. Good time of year to go before the big tourist season starts.
Chet

Gilgamesh
April 16, 2008, 19:36
I went to college not too far from Asheville, there is some amazing hiking to be found in the vicinity, Blowing Rock is pretty cool or check out pretty much any thing on the Blue Ridge Parkway. There are some neat caverns that you can make a day out of out there Linville Caverns if I am not mistaken.
In fact check this out
http://www.asheville.com/attractions/

Enjoy your trip and kick some hippies for me.

Gilgamesh

hawk962
April 17, 2008, 18:45
Chet said:
"I would love to run the French Broad someday with my boys. Lots of hiking camping and what not to be had. Good time of year to go before the big tourist season starts"
+1 on the tourists, not to mention the rattlesnakes. The gorge is full of them.

If you are into trout fishing, there are some good places to go out near Cherokee, plus Smokey Mtn Park is nearby.

Hot Diggity
April 17, 2008, 22:08
I always stayed in Asheville when I attended the now extinct Chimney Rock Hillclimb. Even without cars tearing up the mountain it's a great place to visit.
Lots of walking, but beautiful sights. "Last of the Mohicans" was filmed in the park. On a clear day the views are spectacular.

If the Bat Cave VFD is having a barbeque, stop in there for supper. They KNOW Carolina barbeque. Desserts were so plentiful I had almost two full size plates just sampling them all!

If your trip takes you northeast of Asheville you could stop at Grandfather Mountain, Blowing Rock, or my all time favorite, travel Hwy 184 from Banner Elk to Linville!

When we were racing at Beech Mountain that was always a side trip. Didn't even have to have the car running to drive about as fast as was comfortable. It's like driving right down the side of the mountain. Lots of off-camber turns and roller-coaster like whooptie-doos along stretches where the road barely clings to the mountainside. I sincerely hope they haven't "fixed" it. I always thought they oughto charge admission!

Outside of that one stretch of road plan on driving slowly, lest you get everybody, including the driver, car sick.

Have fun.

HD