PDA

View Full Version : Misfired artillery crashes into girl's bed

fastback65
April 14, 2008, 10:01
Misfired artillery crashes into girl's bed

JEFFERSON TOWNSHIP, New Jersey (AP) -- A piece of artillery that was apparently misfired by the military crashed through the roof of a New Jersey home miles away Friday and injured a young girl's cat, which had to be euthanized, officials said.

No people were injured when the two-pound piece hit the Jefferson Township home about two-and-a- half miles from the Picatinny Arsenal and landed in the girl's bed, said Peter Rowland, arsenal spokesman. She wasn't home, but her cat was sleeping on the bed.

The homeowner told authorities she heard a loud noise around 2:40 p.m. and found the 6-by-4-inch object.

Picatinny officials told The Star-Ledger of Newark they were investigating. The base had been conducting tests Friday, and it wasn't immediately clear what type of artillery hit the home.

Picatinny is the site of the Armament Research, Development and Engineering Center, whose mission is to conduct research, development and engineering for weapons systems

jamesq
April 14, 2008, 10:03
damn!

bykerhd
April 14, 2008, 10:10
Good thing no people got hurt.
I bet that paying for that girl's college education will no longer be a concern for her folks.
I think the "Sorry about that" from Uncle Sugar will also include a fat check.

K.O.A.M.
April 14, 2008, 10:19
Why do you keep bases in densely populated areas? Move it out west.

mike minihan
April 14, 2008, 16:45
Perhaps more to the point,"Why build housing tracts near Picatinny or Aberdeen?"

Volksjaeger
April 15, 2008, 08:30
And it killed the poor kids' cat no less :( ...but at least she's OK. :smile:

John Culver
April 15, 2008, 11:51
Originally posted by Volksjaeger
And it killed the poor kids' cat no less :( ...but at least she's OK. :smile:

she will have a life long story to tell though.

"well MY cat was killed in an artillery strike"

kroberts
April 15, 2008, 16:25
IIRC back in the 80's a civilian was killed on Camp Lejeune while driving his car. Evidently, the MPs failed to fully clear a section of road that ran through the base before the boys started shootin'. The locals used it as a shortcut since Lejeune takes up a lot of real estate.

I think he was a science teacher or something and had been in the woods collecting moss or some such. The artillery guys incorrectly aimed a round and it went WAY off course and struck his car. What are the odds? Kinda like that dog killed by a meteorite down in Australia.

They've been having lots of problems up there in Jersey. Last year a USAFR F-16 popped some flares too low and started a substantial fire on the range.

W.E.G.
April 15, 2008, 16:38
Originally posted by John Culver

she will have a life long story to tell though.

"well MY cat was killed in an artillery strike"

:rofl:

Ssarge
April 15, 2008, 20:20
We had six guys killed at Camp Aachen, on the Grafenwoehr training area in Germany. We had just vacated the barracks during annual tank gunnery going for tank table VII, VIII and IX during which we would be on the range the whole time. A single tube of 155mm (M109 SP) fired killing the six and hurting a bunch more. It was the TacFire system they had at the time. It would point five tubes of a battery on the target and one, or maybe two guns would be way the hell over out of the impact area. We got the crap shelled out of us by TacFire. Damn, but the gunbunnies weren't very popular!

April 15, 2008, 23:36
the biggest indirect weapon i ever fired was the 81 and 60 mm mortar, it was always a relief to see the impact at least close to the target after checking the firing data at least 5 times, but when ya drop it down the tube its too late for second thoughts. can't imagine letting a 155 or 105 go, the range and lethality of those weapons systems is impressive.

on a side note, my infanry company almost got wacked at a combined arms exercise at 29 palms, the 81's let go with a 36 round fpf barrage that landed about 100- 200 m infront of our position, seems they didn't properly plot their location and were a wee bit off. the troops loved it, thought the close impacts were part of the training. i couldn't belive no one was hit and saida few thankyoulords.

FAL freek
April 16, 2008, 17:34
Originally posted by mike minihan
Perhaps more to the point,"Why build housing tracts near Picatinny or Aberdeen?" My thoughts exactly. The local military base has 2 airfields. Have had agreements with surrounding communities not to build housing developments in the buffer zones for decades. Seems pretty common sense to me, flying aircraft develop unforseen malfunctions. Don't want them to make a hard landing in a populated zone. Of course some contractors bought land in the buffer zones and built housing developments because the region is booming. The people in the zones complain to about the noise from helicopters flying over. :rolleyes: Here's your sign.

gearlogo
April 16, 2008, 23:34
They do not fire stuff out of yubes there. They detonate test stuff in the "gorge". I'm sure this was a piece that flew high and far. I blew up lots of stuff there. My USMCR company was based there. Coll place. I handled a then m16a3 with a flip BUIS built into the rail. this was a tool room sample at the time. Also shot an AK74 there in 85. At the time this stuff was right out of Afganistan. Cold war being full on and all. Base has been around forever and the local folks do not want it to close.

BUFF
April 17, 2008, 01:38
The ski patrol and U.S. Forest Service use arty and recoiless rifles with explosive projectiles to bring down avalanches in the ski canyons that ring Salt Lake valley, places like Snowbird, Alta, Solitude and the like. It seems like every 5 years or so somebody lets one go improperly and hits a house or something on the far side of a ridge.

This week, we had an F-16 from Hill AFB strafe an SUV with a couple of airmen in it out on the Deseret Test and Training Range one night. Airmen only got minor injuries, probably from un-assing the SUV as it got holes in it! The SUV was a rental.

Adventurer_96 mighta knowed the pilot!

Base spokesperson said he hoped the airmen bought the extra insurance/damage waiver...

That stuff is all dangerous and training with it is, too. Of course, weapons wouldn't have any use if they weren't dangerous.

Story
April 17, 2008, 08:27
Anyone remember a few years back, when 10th Mountain mortared their own guys at Drum?

They hit a mess tent right when the guys were lined up for breakfast, IIRC.

StoneyCreekMrMauser
April 17, 2008, 13:01
Originally posted by BUFF
This week, we had an F-16 from Hill AFB strafe an SUV with a couple of airmen in it out on the Deseret Test and Training Range one night. Airmen only got minor injuries, probably from un-assing the SUV as it got holes in it! The SUV was a rental.

"Hello, Enterprise? Yeah, about that insurance..."

Story
April 17, 2008, 18:47
Originally posted by BUFF

Ooh! Ooh! Mista Kot-tah! I gots anothu one for ya!

The Air National Guard warplane, flying a night training mission out of Andrews Air Force Base near Washington, fired a burst of 27 rounds from its 20-millimeter cannon shortly before 10:15 p.m. as it streaked over Little Egg Harbor Township, 20 miles north of Atlantic City, New Jersey military officials said last night.

http://www.nytimes.com/2004/11/05/nyregion/05strafe.html