PDA

View Full Version : Pump Shock

V guy
April 13, 2008, 12:57
A friend of mine bought a '94 Dodge diesel dually pickup last fall to save money...diesel is now at $4.50 gallon and no relief in sight...he has virtually parked the truck as did another acquantence who bought an '07 6.5 Ford diesel pickup......the value of used small cars has about doubled...since oil prices are not going to drop and gas and diesel prices are going to keep rising, due to the chinese demand....energy prices drive the costs of everything up....these guys need to make a change......when out of pocket expenses for fuel go up it breaks the household budget...car payments are a constant and people don't like the budget getting destroyed by fuel prices... "keep the payment the same is the cry" and get good mileage...

MY older cars now get worse mileage on the new mix of 10-15%alchohol in the gasoline..dropped from 30 to 25 and from 20 to 15 and 14-11 on three vehicles.
I don't travel much anymore so it ain't no big problem for me....I'll be riding a bike soon again..

Whats in the wind for you guys?

Smaller cars and trucks? I remember the Rabbit pickup and the dodge copy that got over 30 mpg and the rabbit diesels that got over 40mpg...where are they? Few can afford to drive a SUV or diesel or gas pickup that gets 8-12 mpg anymore....how are people coping..drive less..get a small vehicle? Eat/drink less? How do you dispose of big vehicles without a loss?

That period of cheap gas that came in the early 90's to 2003 just killed the small car off..now we are paying.. during the gas crisis of the 70's and 80's we all got used to the small cars and it was ok...
The rule was NEVER drive a vehicle bigger than you needed and then use the small car as a truck..hatchbacks were necessary to do that and they worked great.... an '85 4 cyl mazda pickup that my old man drove sitting next to an '08 Ford F150 tells the tale.....can put the Mazda in the Ford.... almost....

fastback65
April 13, 2008, 13:08
Diesel is right at 4.00 here, and unleaded is about 3.20. The bad part is, gasoline sucks nowadays. Back in my day, Premium was red and would get you high as a kite. Now it is the color of weak piss and just gives me bad breath.

jerrymrc
April 13, 2008, 13:23
I have a 98 dodge 2500 and get about 18 in town. I only drive 4 miles to work and I DO have to have something to pull the camper.

I have my 86 2+2 Grand Prix but even with the 305 is only good for about 16 in town.

I have rearranged my priorities (drive less) and may look for another Sunbird turbo like I used to have.

V guy
April 13, 2008, 13:39
Gasoline thefts are up....local farmer had his tractors hit the other night...not the diesel....the scum will hit you are wal-mart unless you are able to park so that it would be obvious...dark parking lots at night are now an invitation to the gan bangers to get better mileage....I park my cars close to walls and fences outside to make it inconvenient...this will get worse as the summer approaches...

Brett
April 13, 2008, 13:47
About a year and a half ago I bought an old 88 Toyota supercharged MR2. I paid $1500 for it. It had 85K miles, a little rust, and was supposed to be for my son. His mother decided he would end up dying in it but I kept it anyway. Now I am glad. I just went 150 miles on 4 gallons at 75m.p.h. Problem is you can't get any large gun cases in it. Not a hunting vehicle unless you use pistols.

Odd Gibbs Shooter
April 13, 2008, 14:43
I am just rearranging my priorities! I knew this was going to happen sooner or later.

Do I need to have a cell phone? $35 per month
Do I have to have all that fancy cable TV? $100 + per month
Do I have to go out to eat 3 or 4 times a week? $100 ++ depending on how fancy.

My group of hunting buddies were all talking about shit canning our trips this year because of the price of diesel. It is currently at $4.41 per gallon. It just cost me $140 to almost fill my 35 gallon tank in my Dodge dually.

I am figuring out what I don't need and doing what I love to do anyway!
I figure by hunting season it will be well over $5 per gallon for diesel!

RT
April 13, 2008, 15:07
why is diesel so much when it takes less to make, and the first diesel were supposed to run on peanut oil.. as i am not the sharpest tack in the box. please help me understand.
also if this war is or was for OIL like the DEM'S said then why am I paying $2.36 per gal of 89% grade gas for my Truck. when i got it new in 98 gas was around 89 cents to 90 cents per gal, and I could fill it up for under 25 bucks and I have a 28 Gal tank. I drive a Chevy work truck model. so please help me understand why it is now over 3 bucks for gas and over 4 bucks for diesel~R:? :? :confused:

StarPD
April 13, 2008, 17:42
Just yesterday got rid of wife's (crappy) 2000 Ford Focus wagon. Traded it in on a new '08 Civic EX-L coupe with leather interior. My son is the General Sales Manager at a Chrysler-Jeep dealership and he sent me to a sister store that sells new Hondas. I got it for $20k OTD, less full value for our trade-in. Beautiful car, with almost as many bells and whistles as my '05 Q45. Drives much better than I expected, rides beautifully, and is QUIET, plus it has plenty of pep, almost 3 times as much as that crappy Focus. Old rating last year for this same car was 35/40, new rating under lower standards is I think 30/36. Put around 60 miles on it, and the gas gauge hasn't yet dropped off the full mark.

I originally wanted to get her an Accord 4 cylinder coupe, but for around $4k more and 5 MPG less, decided on the Civic. Fuel mileage played a big part in our decision, especially after we test drove it and liked the way it drives and rides. Used to refuse to use her Focus (did I mention it was crappy?) to go anywhere, and always took my Q. Now, I think the Q will see considerably less use, especially since I actually enjoy driving that Civic so much. Q gives 21 MPG average mixed city/freeway on $3.50+ premium, Civic should get around 35 MPG on $3.25 regular. The newer cars get considerably better fuel mileage, and getting a smaller "economy" type car no longer means you have to get a stripped tin box. I predict Honda will sell a LOT of new Civics, and Toyota, Nissan, and Mazda will do quite well too with their equivalents. Higher gas prices change our priorities, but fortunately, we don't have to settle for cheap cracker boxes to get good fuel economy and low maintenance cost.

FWIW, Civic now has a chain cam drive, 100k tuneup intervals, and 5k OCI. Between that and 3 year flush schedule for trans and cooling system, it should be inexpensive to maintain as well as relatively economical on gas. Plus, it looks sharp, Silver w/ gray leather interior.

gman
April 13, 2008, 20:15
The war is for many reasons. The reason gas is so high is pretty simple: remember when the Frogs and Krauts were screaming every day on CNN about Bush going to war for oil and the fact that Americans paid only a buck a gallon? Then they threatened to not allow overflights and build-ups of material and use the bases in-country as staging areas? Remember that? Then Bush went over to Europe for one day and "had talks" with the Frog and Kraut leadership. The next day there was screaming silence on all news channels. The crying about cheap gas for Americans just was gone. And one week after Bush's visit, gas prices began climbing and have never gone down. Nor will they.

Tak
April 13, 2008, 21:19
My '95 Mustang gets about 18mpg mixed driving.

At 40 miles a day, that's a little over $7 bucks at current prices per day.

So at around $140 per month in gas, it's still cheaper than buying a new car that gets 40 MPG and paying $250 a month payment and then $70 a month for gas.

Everyone went to SUV's because of government interference that killed the big family sedan.

Try fitting 2 adults 2 kids all their gear and the dog into the Toyota Camry.

evan price
April 13, 2008, 21:55
I frankly can't believe how easy it is for my wife and I and our two kids and dog and camping gear for a weekend to overflow a Buick Park Avenue. It's a 1995, and it's not "small" in terms of modern cars (Compared to my old Caprice Classic, however...).

Figure on gas hitting $4 a gallon by July 4th I am told. Diesel will be up towards $4.75/gallon by then, too, and it is not going to ever come back down.

The Euro-weenies feeling smug about their SMART 4Twos and Fiat Pandas and stuff haven't lived in the US where commuting an hour to work is not an unusual event.

Until people wise up about their bad habits and stop trying to blame someone else for why they spend so much on fuel, things will never change.

Steggo
April 14, 2008, 09:44
Originally posted by V guy

Whats in the wind for you guys?

If everyone is paying more $$ for stuff, I'm going to spend my time figuring out how to get my share of all that money people are coughing up.

It's better to put your effort into how to earn an extra dollar than save a dime.

My car uses 93 octane gas and gets less than 25MPG. The solution is to have enough to afford what you want. I don't give a F*** what gas costs. I wouldn't be caught dead in a Prius.

English Mike
April 14, 2008, 10:00
Originally posted by Steggo

I wouldn't be caught dead in a Prius.

Interesting thing about the Prius:

Over here its "green" credentials mean owners pay $80 road tax & are exempt from congestion charges.
A recent article in the Times newspaper saw the Prius & a BMW 520 diesel drive from London to Geneva & the BMW gave better mileage than the Prius.

The BMW pays $400 road tax.......

Tuscan Raider
April 14, 2008, 12:05
We were going to get another car, but decided to get one of these:

http://www.schwinnscooters.com/scooters/archive/graduate150.php

The wife uses it to commute to work, and she loves it.
The payment, insurance, and gas costs us $50-$60 dollars
a month to operate.