PDA

View Full Version : Home network - best prices and what did you do?

chickendumpling
April 12, 2008, 11:10
Hello,

I want to network my home and replace the daisy chain telephone drops with better wire and add lan drops. Been awhile and I did work for networking business that used cat5 and panduit products. Its been over 7 years since I've done any network wiring. I'm curious about the lowest price online purchasing sites that are still holding up the quality end. Also, I'd like to see examples of how others did the job and what they planned for - now and future proofing. Not interested in wireless.

I would be shooting for cat6e or cat6a plenum rated wire (1000ft). My experience is first panduit and then leviton. Panduit was a better product at the time in the later 90's. I am considering taking 3 cable runs to each existing telephone outlet - 2 data and rest for phone. Would anyone recomend putting a drop above the kitchen area and in the garage?

Suggestions for products, router equipment, etc. Please PM me or post here with info pics etc...

Thank You!

ar15junkie
April 12, 2008, 13:55
Personally I wouldn't bother with cat6 but thats just me. Couldn't hurt to run a drop to the garage.

What are you trying to accomplish? Equipment will depend on your needs.

Sailor553
April 12, 2008, 18:01
Multi-story home? Attic access?

You might best be served by placing a single access point in the attic and adding a higher gain antenna to it. Cable Cat5e to your router and your all set to go. Depending, you might only need to add a high gain antenna to a wireless router.

I do this for a living.

Falunga
April 12, 2008, 18:55
Cat5e is good enough. After that it is just not worth it for what you are paying. It's what I would put into my home. Maybe running two runs to each location to cover your butt but what exactly are you going to hope for? Unless you are doing SERIOUS file-sharing between home boxes it is just silly. You are never going to get upload/download transfer speeds from your ISP in any time in the next 20 years to make Cat5e outdated. I've got 2 network printers that every machine uses and I'm just using old Cat5 and it's quite sufficient.

Jim :fal: FALunga

chickendumpling
April 12, 2008, 18:56
As far as cable - I'm after what will provide the biggest pipe for moving data etc- within reason (not doing fiber optics). The house is a small ranch style with a mostly finished basement - basement does not have a false ceilling yet. The access point will be up above in the celling and a power outlet is available in the trusts. I have access to all of the current wiring from the basement space in the trusts.

As far as use? Just a number of PC sharing the same DSL line to begin with...but I see many other sources can be ran through cat wiring. So I'm just trying to future proof for more 0's and1's down the road. However, I have not found a good source for purchasing cable, panduit, etc....recommended router, hub or ?

I'm curious what others have done for small houses, material purchase sources, - just to point me in the right direction and have something that looks organized when finished and be able to push more data in the future (movies audio security ... whatever). Might as well attempt to do it well
:p

Jaxxas
April 12, 2008, 19:49
Well IT is my business! And you can get gigabit, or so very close to gigabit speed out of cat5e, that I wouldn't pay for anything more! That said, depending on the run, you may need shielded/plenum cable.

But unless you are sharing massive files (movies) between computers I wouldn't use anything more than wireless 802.11 G or N! If your content is strictly from the internet, wireless is more than adequate! Some printing of graphics and such might tax the wireless pretty heavily, but you could always hardwire the printer if you do a lot of photo printing!

For my own setup I have a small gigabit switch into which the 2 main computers plug along with the wifi-router, the cable modem and printer! Anything in the main computer room/office is easily wired for gigabit, and the rest of the house works painlessly off wireless.

younggun
April 12, 2008, 23:28
PM sent.

L Haney
April 13, 2008, 08:46
I use Black Box for most of my data hardware purchases. Broad product line up and no junk to be found. If you want to kick it up a notch, and go overkill, I've got a Cisco 2600 router not doing anything.

Lowell