PDA

View Full Version : Help with bees

jay.sharkbait
September 04, 2007, 01:36
Hey gang I got a problem

I have a yellow jacket nest. It's in the rocks about 12" above the river in front of the house.

Problem is the dog (Lab) is now getting stung almost daily. My normal MO is to pour deisel on the nest and let it perk. I really don't want to do that as the river is very healthy.

Lets get one thing strait. I aint no tree hugging flatlander, but I do not want to do anything to screw the river.

It's also very dry right now

Any ideas?

bait

Voided37
September 04, 2007, 01:51
Tree hugging flatlander?
Why you wanna talk about me like that? I LOVE TREES!!! And I believe I have hugged one or two examples. :)

You can do like I did and park your deer hunting travel trailer over it and discover your folly the next morn at daybreak!:mad:
Three stings on the neck in two seconds wakes one up REAL QUICK!
You could smoke the hole late in the evening to calm whats left down then stick some of that expanding hole filler in it...

You could make a IED and stick it in it....

You could google the problem and see what pops up....

Shit...wish I could help. They're truly irritating and worse. And they can fly faster than I can run...

Yep..IED their assssss.

Good luck.

Voided37
September 04, 2007, 01:53
One more thing;
Can't your Lab learn his lesson?:|

jay.sharkbait
September 04, 2007, 02:19
Originally posted by Voided37
One more thing;
Can't your Lab learn his lesson?:|

Um, Lab=water.... you do the math

She's a nut, and I have been working her here since she was a pup. She is definately a creature of habit.

bait

Voided37
September 04, 2007, 05:04
Yep...LOL 2&2=4 alright!
I definitely hate it for your dog then. Good luck.

Steve

Survey Punk
September 04, 2007, 06:27
Diesel will stick around for awhile, gasoline will evaporate rather quickly. Best to douse them in the dead of night.
Maybe even better call your local land surveyor and see if he has a can of "Bee- Bopper" he can let yo buy. All it is is hornet killer with a longer, more concentrated stream that is kind of gooey and sticks like napalm.
http://www.forestry-suppliers.com/product_pages/View_Catalog_Page.asp?mi=6013
Don't IED 'em when you can use tactical weapons! :rofl:

JB

perryturner
September 04, 2007, 06:58
http://www.killsbugsdead.com/fop_w_h_k.asp

September 04, 2007, 08:44
10% Sevin dust dusted on the nest for a couple of days should do the job ANd Sevin is relatively benine. It can be used as a flea powder on cats and dogs.

alphadog58
September 04, 2007, 09:01
Had a nest of yellow lookin' hornets in one of wifey's flower gardens. She got tagged a couple of times before she found their hole in the ground. Got some hornet spray, squirted most of the can right down the hole at around 10 PM. Done.

Larry

HikerLT
September 04, 2007, 13:51
We had yellow-jacket nests also.
Tried the Sevin with a hole in the ground nest -no luck, I think they liked the stuff....or at least it took a week or 2 for them to move the next..

they moved to a stone wall.
I then used one of those 20' spray hornetspray cans - says it has "residual" effect in addition to the "drop-em-dead" when flying effect.

I sprayed the rock wall entrance to the nest early in the morning when it was still cool and they were not flying. EMptied the can. Did it again the next day with a 2nd can.....nest is gone.

RG Coburn
September 04, 2007, 19:55
I've killed zillions of yellowjackets around the yard. Never attack the nest during light.There are always workers out and about during light,and they will try to rebuild.They rely on the ability to see to sting,so darkness robs them of that asset. Only observe during the day,make note of where they go in at.If its a spot I can use fire on,I use a weed burner/LP tank thingy.Just the heat blast from it will kill most of them,without flame actually hitting them.You can use headliner adhesive to spray over the entrance hole,if fire is not an option.Its a super sticky ,fan pattern spray that adheres to anything.Turn flying hornets into infantry.Cover the entrance,then put a garbage bag over the nest. Open air nests will fall to ether,or Gumout.

ONG
September 04, 2007, 20:10
Originally posted by 0007
10% Sevin dust dusted on the nest for a couple of days should do the job ANd Sevin is relatively benine. It can be used as a flea powder on cats and dogs.

Yup and Yup. The answer. 2days at the most.

lutefisk
September 04, 2007, 22:42
Ground dwelling yellow jackets suck. I'm sure they stung a peregrine I was rehab'g to death. Then about 7 hit me at the same time while I was removing the dead bird and the meat from the flight cage. I think they are sensitive to vibration.

I tried Sevin and could not get it back into the landscape wall. I tried a variety of other stuff and it'd only wack a few. Then, the long winded answer, foaming hornet killer. I located the primary entrance hole through observation and then sprayed the foaming stream into all the surrounding cracks.

A couple hours later I started to get a little pyramid of dead yellowjackets under the rock wall. It gradually increased in size as they tumbled out of the nest...which was actually behind the rock wall in the dirt backfill. Impressive pile by the next day.

I use Sevin on birds quite often-ectoparasite control.

jay.sharkbait
September 04, 2007, 22:48
Thanks guys for the tips.

Sevin is next I guess

bait

Brett
September 04, 2007, 23:09
I second gasoline. It kills them immediately, even in flight to attack they drop like a rock. I use a wide mouth plastic cup about half full and throw the gas from it. Just don't smoke.

jay.sharkbait
September 04, 2007, 23:19
i'd rather not get gasoline in the river

bait

Kyrottimus
September 05, 2007, 01:18
Just punch the bee or bees in the face. Their faces are little and your fists are big.

It's like a mack truck hitting a sparrow @ 70mph. That's all she wrote!

:rofl:

ONG
September 05, 2007, 06:59
If you get them in a wall, at night build a landing strip under their hole. Let them get used to landing on it and then walking into the nest. After a couple of days of this, go out at night and put a small layer of sevin on the landing strip.

The returning workers will land on the strip and carry it into the nest.

September 05, 2007, 10:07
If you go with the Sevin, you need to use a duster type applicator, so you push the dust cloud into the nest. If you can't find one, get a squeezeable catsup dispenser and cut the tip hole a little larger.

lutefisk
September 05, 2007, 10:12
Hey, 0007 has a great idea. I'm going to try that myself (duster not dustee).
The hornet foam was used 3 yrs ago and they have not returned to that rock wall.