PDA

View Full Version : late bloomer, how do i poach an egg

RT
August 25, 2007, 21:59
i tried 2 last week at a restaurant and fell in love with the poached egg. that is some good stuff with grits and hash. so how do i poach a egg at home? i don't have any special egg tool. can it be WECSOG'ed. help me so in the am on Sunday i can have 2 great egg's with grits and toast. please help ~Richard

DYNOMIKE
August 25, 2007, 22:04
Sauce Pan Half Full of Water..
Add a Tablespoon of White Vinegar..
Bring to a Rolling Boil (NOT Rapid) Add Eggs (DON'T Break the YOKE)
Cook for 2-3 Minutes..
Cooking time will vary based on your personal Preference and may take some Experimenting..

Remove with a SLOTTED spoon Drain and Put on Toast..
Get Fancy W/Hollandaise Sauce and Canadian Bacon..
YUM YUM..

ggiilliiee
August 25, 2007, 22:17
rt ...i like the egg poaching pans ...like a muffin type thing with a resivoir of water underneath ....and a lid to keep the egg tops moist with steam ...double boiler kinda thing ...a little butter to grease the egg cup and off ya go ...and ya absolutely have to put busted up saltines in the yolk for true cullinary pleasure ...grits ...whats that .....he he

most important of all farm fresh eggs .(brown)....as the yolks are yolkier ......he he ..much more flavor .....try a duck egg sometime ..ohhhh yeahhhh...

make sure the top pan has steam holes in it.. it helps cook the egg evenly top to bottom .....

RT
August 25, 2007, 22:23
would like a poached ostridge egg. ( real big egg from a real tall chicken:biggrin: ) 1 should do the trick with a loaf of toast, and a pot of Grits. wake up the ol ladie and say i made you 1 scrambled egg :rofl: . great way to start the day big O egg with TEXAS toast(bigger in Texas get it?) good night ya'll~Richard:tongue:

AndyC
August 25, 2007, 23:01
Never knew a man who could finish a whole ostrich egg - yech :uhoh:

jay.sharkbait
August 25, 2007, 23:16
poached eggs and smoked salmon it shall be

bait

jamesq
August 25, 2007, 23:35
Originally posted by DYNOMIKE

Get Fancy W/Hollandaise Sauce and Canadian Bacon..
YUM YUM..

ahem, butter and vegemite.

English Mike
August 26, 2007, 06:39
ggiilliiee's right - get an egg poaching pan.

Poached eggs on buttered toast is the way to go.

Mike in Seattle
August 26, 2007, 07:02
To poach an egg,

when the huntin' season is closed,

, sneak out at night to an area where they're known to be,

, shine a bright flashlight into the egg's eyes, so he can't tell who ya are.

, and them SHOOT 'im wit yer rifle !

Ya gotta hurry up, and get the egg field dressed, loaded inta yer truck

, and be LONG GONE before the Game warden gets there.

, and DAT's how ya poach an egg

:biggrin:

doktor_ecchs
August 26, 2007, 07:14
Originally posted by ENGLISH MIKE
ggiilliiee's right...

Betcha never thought you'd say that...:wink:

as ever,
Dr. X :fal:

raeldridge
August 26, 2007, 07:33
hmmmm...nine posts in reply to original topic, with only one being a correct reply (dynomike) and one being barely close.

pretty much the usual noise to signal ratio here, eh?

seriously, dynomike is dead on, but that's a fussy, preparation intensive way to poaching eggs. pan's easier.

RT
August 26, 2007, 08:08
thanks i went to Mcdonalds:( will get a poaching pan.-------------Mike in Seattle i like the way you think, sir i was just out for a egg, when this sumabitch just came out of nowhere and scared me so i shot it with my 22lr between the eye, or ear. your choice. Dynomike what is Hollandaise Sauce ? and bait i will take you up on that. back to sleep. my girlfriend has been gone to her mom's for a few day's and i cant sleep. to quiet no snoring , and i am not getting kicked in the middle of the night. so it is back to sleep, then you guy's and gal's , food, sleep, repeat.~Richard the tired one-----------and raeldridge you know we are adults with ADD AHAD. we need riddlen or xanax. have you ever seen a topic we could stay on no.

DYNOMIKE
August 26, 2007, 08:28
Dude, MickyDee's is BARELY an Edible Breakfast.. Fuggin YUK..:eek:
And then you go there andf EAT, come Home and SLEEP??
You need HELP..

O.K. I used to use the Poach Pan, used the Dab of Butter and everything.. Works Good, Tastes good.. BUT Too much trouble and Too hard to Clean up for me..
The PAN is great and you can do several eggs at Once..

Dynomike what is Hollandaise Sauce ?
Dude, yer Killing me.. It's an Awesome Sauce that can be used for a LOT of stuff, but it's GREAT on Poached eggs.

OK I aint gonna get you making it from Scratch (Like MickeyDee's Does:rofl: )
so try this... KNORR SWISS HOLLANDAISE is EASY to Find at PUBLIX..
Get a Package and FOLLOW the Directions "EXACTLY" for preperation..
Canadian Bacon is Best but you can Substitute other Meat if you Prefer. Bacon, Ham, or in Your Case BOLOGNA could be used..
English Muffins or WONDER BREAD is also needed..

Toast Bread
Fry Can Bacon (Don't KILL it) or Fry up your BOLOGNA
Eggs are Made in a TIMELY manner
Sauce is PREMADE, (IE: Made BEFORE everything else)

Meat, on Bread, Egg on Meat, Sauce over Top of the Whole Shebang..
I like to Sprinkle the Top W/Paprika..
Although NOT as Good as MickeyDee's, IT'S DAMN FINE EATIN..:wink:

K. Funk
August 26, 2007, 08:42
Those little cupcake pans over the water work OK, but they are a pain to clean up. But since that is the wife's job, I've never minded the clean-up. I have never tried the pan of water thing.

krf

English Mike
August 26, 2007, 10:37
Another alternative is to put metal cookie cutters in the pan & enough water to come halfway up them. When the water is boiling, crack the eggs into the cookie cutters & cook for 2-3 minutes. You then have the cookie cutters to clean though.

raeldridge
August 26, 2007, 11:15
but they are a pain to clean up

jeeeze, were you guys raised in a barn? ///grin///

take the little poacher tubs, make sure they're clean. (well, a stretch for some folks!)

put a little pat of butter in the bottom, like the man above said.

put on the stove, make sure the water is boiling and the butter is melted. crack and drop the egg in the center of the butter, make sure that's what it hits first.

the egg will push the butter along, out and up the side. it won't stick and clean up will consist of just a good dip in soapy hot water.

StarPD
August 26, 2007, 12:44
Put a buttered, toasted English muffin on the plate.
Put a really GOOD fried pork sausage patty on top.
Put a poached egg on top of that.
Heat up cream of mushroom soup (not diluted).
Pour hot mushroom soup over the top.
Splash Tabasco sauce on top of the whole thing.

Enjoy with hash browns or country fried potatoes.
(The leftover mushroom soup goes on the potatoes.)

Make at least 3 or 4 like that, they're delicious.

Wash down with a really good cup of coffee.

Burp.

Go take a nice nap.

Hint: Poached eggs are nothing more than eggs out of the shell in boiling water. You can just break the egg into a pan of boiling water, and use a slotted spoon to remove it. Just as easy as making fried or scrambled eggs, only the egg goes into boiling water instead of a frying pan or griddle.

9thmoon
August 26, 2007, 17:04
Another alternative is to put metal cookie cutters in the pan & enough water to come halfway up them. When the water is boiling, crack the eggs into the cookie cutters & cook for 2-3 minutes. You then have the cookie cutters to clean though.

Aw, but then you could do shapes! Hearts for Valentine's Day, shamrocks for Saint Patrick's... :p

Cava3r4
August 26, 2007, 22:40
if you soft boil that will be close.
fill the pan with enough water to submerge the egg.
bring the water to a boil, put the egg in for about 3- 5 minutes... your mileage may vary.
it will come out with a nice soft yolk.
yummy.
Bob

Radio
August 26, 2007, 23:01
Originally posted by ggiilliiee
i like the egg poaching pansSo do I, just dropping them directly into water makes what I call "plop eggs"...

most important of all farm fresh eggs (brown)Dad's chickens also do green. Fun to feed the grandkids.

But what's all the hype about "farm fresh eggs"... how come nobody ever sells "city fresh eggs"??? How about "assembly-line fresh" or "factory production fresh"??? Or, what's the thing about "fresh eggs", when you go to the store do you expect to find somebody selling you "stale eggs"????

Now lastly, I do NOT like runny eggs. Make sure you poach them until they're solid all the way through. Runny eggs, yechhhhhh!! Grandpa liked runny eggs, would soak up the yoke with his toast, and now he's DEAD!!!! Obviously, the runny eggs killed him!! Not for me, I learn by example!! Make mine "over hard", please, thank you!! Otherwise you're just eating partially raw eggs!! And raw eggs are full of kooties!!!! That's why Rocky lost the fight!!! And they stain your plate!!! Think of all that perfectly good, though yucky raw and uncooked, protein going to waste in your dishwasher!!! RUNNY EGGS!!! AN ISLAMIC PLOT TO COMPROMISE ALL OUR PRECIOUS BODILY FLUIDS!!!!!!!!!!!!!

--Radio :uhoh:

cpgor
August 27, 2007, 00:30
I picked up a plastic pan for the micowave designed for eggs, works good, quick to cook and east to clean up

RT
August 27, 2007, 00:57
Radio a non runny egg is a hard boiled egg. yuck~R runny with the whites done the yellows runny, over grits and hash. mmmm good. bait is going to do poached eggs with fish. when i go up to see him ooh so good. don't tell my REDNECK FRIENDS i eat poached eggs with fish and onion. i had a Jewish girlfriend she turned me into a baptist/Jew. locks and bagels oey vey. if i were a rich man diddle de. got to love babs, like butter.~R

Stranger
August 27, 2007, 07:11
Originally posted by rtgunsmoke
don't tell my REDNECK FRIENDS i eat poached eggs with fish and onion.

That depends on whether or not you hold out your pinky when you sip your Earl Grey.

RT
August 27, 2007, 08:03
leve Earl Grey.
out of this. English Mike will be pissed. if we talk bad about Earl Grey.

Stranger
August 27, 2007, 10:57
leve Earl Grey.

I was talking about his pinky, not his Earl Grey.

Muggzy
August 27, 2007, 11:25
and yet another way.

take a piece of toast and mash the center of the toast down with a spoon
then crack an egg into the cavity and then micowave it for a minute or so.

poached egg on toast

Radio
August 27, 2007, 12:31
Leave Earl Grey out of this. English Mike will be pissed if we talk bad about Earl Grey. Not to mention Captain Picard...

I had a Jewish girlfriend; she turned me into a Baptist/Jew. Lox and bagels, Oy vey!
She was a Jewish girl,
I fell in love with her;
She wrote her number on the back of my hand.

I called her up,
I was all out of breath
I said, "Come hear me play in my rock and roll band."

I took a shower and I put on my best blue jeans.
I picked her up in my new V-double-U van.
She wore a peasant blouse with nothing underneath.
I said "Hi", she said, "Yeah, I guess I am"...

"Tears on my pillow" and "Ave Maria",
--Dean Friedman

English Mike
August 27, 2007, 13:29
leve Earl Grey.

Earl Grey is for wussies.

I'll stick to my Assam - more caffeine than in most coffee. :shades:

English Mike
August 27, 2007, 13:35
This is what you need for a good feed of poached eggs:

doktor_ecchs
August 27, 2007, 14:43
This is what you need for a good feed of poached eggs:

Mmmkay, smartyboots, riddle me this: whut's the "ghetto method" fer poachin' an aig...? :devil:

as ever,

English Mike
August 27, 2007, 16:22
Originally posted by doktor_ecchs

Mmmkay, smartyboots, riddle me this: whut's the "ghetto method" fer poachin' an aig...? :devil:

as ever,

Turn the pan on its side whilst cooking:? :biggrin:

doktor_ecchs
August 27, 2007, 18:17
Turn the pan on its side whilst cooking...?

Close but no cigar...

First ya gots to steal an aig. But ya gotta use a little finesse here, not the thug-patented "catch granny from behind chokehold" and grab her loafbread. Coz iff'n ya screws up and drops de aig, yer toast. Oncet ya gots de aforesaid aig, yo commences ta tryin' to poach dat suckah. But onna cold and grey chicago morn in da ghetto, nobody ain't got no poach. Maybe a stoop or front steps, but no poach. So ya steals a can o sterno from some painthuffer and an ol tuna can from de landladys cat, and you bums a light from yer crackhead neighbor upstairs an now you be cookin wit gas...er, sterno. Crack aig and dump in tuna can. Place tuna can on lit sterno. Cook til rats start stickin' dere noses outta de dumpster downa skreet or alleycats ratpack yo azz, which ebber be fo happnin' fust, an dat's how ya dooz it...inna ghetto. :biggrin:

an his momma cries,