View Full Version : Where to get obsolete transistors?

August 17, 2007, 08:16
My old power amp has lost a channel. It was made by Audire who I guess is no longer in business - I did find a website for them but do not get a reply to my emails - they are returned as undeliverable. In any case, a friend has it on his bench now and believes it needs some transistors but can't get them from any of his usual distributors. The pn's are; mpsu57(motorola)subs to ecg/nte189 or sk3200 & mpsu07, subecg/nte188 or sk3199. Anybody know where I might find them? I am guessing that there are dealers of this kind of obsolete stuff out there. Thanks for any help.

August 17, 2007, 08:52
you're not necessarily screwed.

did you check the usual major sources? these folks have a metric tonne of either the correct part, or suitable subs.




I don't know exactly what you're replacing, it could be anything from an NPN transistor to a MOSFET. but if you have the original part number, you can get the spec sheets

I did a quick google search and found what appeared to be a couple places where they may be available.

note: if these are output transistors, I would recommend you replace them all at the same time. introducing a different one into a group of two of four could cause problems down the line, or distortion in the audio.

August 17, 2007, 11:36
NTE189 (http://www.mouser.com/search/ProductDetail.aspx?R=NTE189virtualkey52600000virtu alkey526-NTE189) from Mouser (http://www.mouser.com). They show NTE188 as obsolete and suggest SK3199 (which you know), but they don't show SK3199 on their website. You could call them, tho.

Another place to check may be RF Parts (http://www.rfparts.com/index.html). They have a minimum order of $25, tho. They list an MPSU57 for $2.25, but have nothing on the other.

August 17, 2007, 11:52
Fry's Electronics has a lot of transistors.


You might also try Allied Electronics.


Or Nebraska Surplus Sales.


Or probably your best bet is a place called Nortex. They are located in Fort Worth.


If Nortex ain't got it, then it probably can't be had. I have bought a lot of stuff from Lewis. I would call rather then email or try to find it on their web site. They also have an awesome collection of Vacuum tubes and precision resistors. And a lot of other jun uhhhhh...... stuff! Fun place to spend an afternoon. I think they ever have Sam's photofacts!

August 17, 2007, 11:54
Mountain States Electronics (http://www.mselectronic.com/page/page/1197965.htm) may be able to get the NTE parts, or an equivalent.

August 17, 2007, 14:24
Try www.tubesandmore.com (Antique Electronics); they specialize in tubes and older stuff.

August 17, 2007, 15:51
Post this up on DIYAudio.com Lots of good people there that can help you out.