PDA

View Full Version : Moles destroying my yard, how to exterminate?

instr8
May 14, 2007, 22:30
Don't feel like getting the ghille suit out, so what are some other methods of running the little buggers off or killing them.

Rik
May 14, 2007, 22:34
ANFO!

indy_Muaddib
May 14, 2007, 22:35
http://www.saferbrand.com/store/product.asp?dept_id=9&pf_id=0645

gunseller
May 14, 2007, 22:38
Spray your yard for bugs and grubs. Moles eat bugs and grubs. Take away their food and they will leave.
Steve

Radio
May 14, 2007, 22:41
We just used mole traps, worked great, but the damn things keep breeding.

fastprofessor
May 14, 2007, 22:43
I've had good luck with the spike mole traps. But you gotta make sure you have an active tunnel. Moles can dig over 100 feet a day. Just smash a few inches of a few of their tunnels and check em the next day. The ones that are raised back up again are the active tunnels. Then place the spike traps on those runs and smash the tunnel a little where the trap is. As the mole re-digs the caved in area, he will actuate the trap.

I also use some poison just in case the traps get em.

broncobisley1
May 14, 2007, 22:59
good luck. I believe I've got voles, not moles. I've tried the poison bait, the trap mentioned above, and have only managed to kill one, and that was thanks to my dog. The neighbors cats are worthless.

I've been thinking of running a hose from the exhaust on my truck into a new tunnel and see if that works.

Radio
May 14, 2007, 23:22
I'll bet Gary has seen Caddyshack more times than I've seen the original Star Wars. Or Groundhog Day.

olsarg
May 15, 2007, 00:46
Don't know if this really works or not but if you are in a rural area I've heard you can fuse a bird boom bury it in the run way and the concusion gets rid of them. seems to me like might just make a big hole?

Volksjaeger
May 15, 2007, 00:58
There's some stuff called 'poison peanuts' that works pretty good...Just stick some down their mounds and 'bam', no more moles. I think Home Depot stocks it....HTH!

NoNotAgain
May 15, 2007, 05:00
From Scotts Lawn care products.

What´s a good method of getting rid of moles?
The first sign of a mole is usually a winding ridge of loose soil. The mole digs through loose soil at the surface, looking for insects and earthworms. He also has a permanent series of deeper runs, but most hunting is near the soil surface.

Moles are natives of woodlands, where they tunnel through the forest duff. They like loose soil, and have adapted very well to gardens. They are active day and night. If it's any consolation, moles like moist, organic soil full of worms and other delicacies. So their presence is a compliment to your abilities as a gardener.

Moles don't eat plants, but sometimes tunnel around the roots so thoroughly that the plant dries out and wilts. Other than that occasional damage, they are only a problem because of their runs. Runs are especially disfiguring to lawns.

Although moles are attracted to grubs in lawns, they also feed on other insects and earthworms. Getting rid of the grubs is a beginning to ridding your garden of a mole, but will probably not be enough to make him leave.

The most effective way to get rid of moles is to trap them. Several different kinds of traps are available in garden centers, and they all work. The harpoon traps are probably the easiest to use.

Step on some runs, then check back a couple of hours later or the next day to see which are pushed back up. These are the runs the mole is using. Stomp that one down again and set the trap over it. When the mole comes through, he triggers the trap. Then you have to empty it. Hire a neighbor kid for that part.

If you don't catch the mole in a couple of days, move the trap. Just keep trying, and you'll get him eventually. Moles are solitary, so when you get one, you've solved your problem. Unfortunately, moles often move into old mole runs, so it may not stay solved very long.

Poisons work sometimes, but you don't know for sure if you've killed the mole. When you trap a mole, you know you have him. There are a million other remedies for moles, and you're free to try as many as you wish. Somebody swears by each of them, so probably they each work sometimes or somewhere. But trapping always works.

kwilal
May 15, 2007, 23:03
Everything you need to know is here:
http://www.themoleman.com/
You can't wipe out their food source, it's mostly earthworms, not grubs. You can't gas them out. Poisons don't work for shit. Only one way, trapping.
Ken

glocktenman
May 16, 2007, 19:57
Man, You guys are some serious mole killers. I love the caddyshack pic. We could start calling them molslums. That would make it much more fun to kill them! I could just hear my wife now...."I want you to go out there and kill all the molslums". Yes dear.:D

G20

Nodak
May 17, 2007, 17:57
I've heard that anhydrous ammonia (fertilizer) works. Granted only the farmers out there will be able to get ahold of it. The vapor is heavier than air, so it will settle into the tunnels. Nasty stuff.
Of course I've only heard stories about it, no verification that it's actually been tried...

tiblow
May 17, 2007, 18:49
Originally posted by instr8
Don't feel like getting the ghille suit out, so what are some other methods of running the little buggers off or killing them.

..... Arc Light :cool:

762 shooter
May 17, 2007, 19:51
FWIW, propane is heavier than air...

gunnut1
May 17, 2007, 22:48
I was going to say call Bill Murry but Jeter beat me to it!

Czechsix
May 18, 2007, 01:02
Originally posted by instr8

For craps sake you guys are all pathetic.

Use your FAL

Dang, now why did I have to be the first one to say that, and on the FalFiles to boot?

:biggrin:

chromestarhustler
May 18, 2007, 01:54
whiner thats an all saturday fun project get some cold drinks and some sandwiches, a 17hmr to the head problem solved.

Rifle_Guy
May 18, 2007, 20:09
..... Arc Light

"I love the smell of napalm in the morning"

Deltaten
May 18, 2007, 21:41
I prefer the "aeration" technique!
It's good for the lawn and gets rid of the criters, too.
Apply copious amounts of 7.62 to the effected areas. When enuff is enuff; you'll know by the tufts of fur flying amidst the gobs of grass, blood and soil.

Fertilizer in *so* many ways! ;)

Blam!
Paul

Terick
May 18, 2007, 22:00
We found that dogs, traps and a 12ga. are the best answers. Avoided poision as we didn't want the dogs to get ahold it (or a dead/dying one). Never had any luck with killing 'em with water or fumes. Dogs always get an attaboy for digging one up, trapping takes some patience, but it's the most reliable. If you ever actually see one pushing dirt a pitchfork/shovel/12ga. will solve that real quick. :eek: :D

falmouth308
May 18, 2007, 22:55
If you live in GA I will loan you my male Vizsla. He stopped the two who took the chance in my yard. I just pointed them out once and then the dead things were found on the ground next to the dig. It made for an easy burial anyway.:shades: I think he can somehow hear them digging.

My wife hates the dog killing the critters but what is a man to do.

starbuck
May 19, 2007, 09:23
I second the 12 gauge. My grandfather used a rocking chair and a shotgun to kill moles. That takes patients.

Bigger_Is_Better
May 19, 2007, 10:19
Here's one I got with a mole trap in my yard about two weeks ago. I'd never seen one this big before. I could've almost bbq'd the thing.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v85/aaronn/DSC02017.jpg