PDA

View Full Version : Help! Computer's messed up and I need help!

idsubgun
April 04, 2007, 05:35
My computer went haywire and I had to do a partial Recovery to even access it. It wasn't a total "erase the harddrive and start over" recovery.

So, my question to you computers Gods......

Is there any way to ecover the files that I know are still on my harddrive, either by doing something with my computer the way it is, or is there any software I can buy to recover these things?

I lost thousands of files, photos, gunsmithing stuff, etc. Make me sick!

Thanks......
Bill

Aifwikir
April 04, 2007, 05:55
What's your computer doing? Simptoms?
Hold your hand behind the power supply in the case.
Is there air flow coming from it? If so, is the air HOT?

A Little help here. I'm shooting in the dark.
If you turn it off for a while (hour or so) then turn it on does it run okay for a while and then start "loosing files" ?
Has it just crashed and won't start again?

:D
Aif

idsubgun
April 04, 2007, 06:08
No, fans and stuff are working. It wouldn't turn on the other day, past the SetUp page where you can push F1 but it wouldn't even let me do that. After about 3 hours of trying to get it to come on, I used my recovery discs and did a partial recovery. And that's where I lost my files. No, I have a 144 gig hardrive and it's showing 32 gigs are being used so I know those files are still there....somewhere!

I have to go to work now so I won't be back here until later today.

Thanks.

Aifwikir
April 04, 2007, 06:31
If you have another computer, try to hook the hard drive to it as a slave drive and see if you can get into it. If you can, copy everything you can to the other drive or a CD. A good program for this is Norton's "Ghost" program.
Other than that (without having hands on it) I'm not sure what's wrong with it. Everything you've say points to the Power supply or Hard drive itself.

Sorry I can't be of more help. If you have a computer store/ repair shop, near you they will have diagnostic tools (cards) to find out what's wrong with it.

:D
Aif

TheJokker
April 04, 2007, 06:53
Originally posted by idsubgun
No, fans and stuff are working. It wouldn't turn on the other day, past the SetUp page where you can push F1 but it wouldn't even let me do that. After about 3 hours of trying to get it to come on, I used my recovery discs and did a partial recovery. And that's where I lost my files. No, I have a 144 gig hardrive and it's showing 32 gigs are being used so I know those files are still there....somewhere!

I have to go to work now so I won't be back here until later today.

Thanks.

look for a documents and settings folder. you will find your old "my documents" and "favorites" there.

AndyC
April 04, 2007, 09:05
Bill, I do data-recovery and such for a living. PM me and I'll see what I can do to help.

In the meantime, do not touch the drive any more - the more you mess with it, the higher the probability that files are going to be overwritten.

Radio
April 04, 2007, 21:44
The Recovery God has spoken. :bow: You're in good hands, id.

I just wish he could help me recover my MBR which I ERASED.... :biggrin:

--Radio

biggun
April 04, 2007, 22:05
Listen to Andy C he's right on the money. I do computer repair and some light data recovery. If you continue to use the drive you may be destroying your data. Turn you computer off now until you talk to someone that can get your data back.

AndyC
April 04, 2007, 22:11
Originally posted by Radio
The Recovery God has spoken. :bow: You're in good hands, id.

I just wish he could help me recover my MBR which I ERASED.... :biggrin:

--Radio
Replace, yes - use fdisk /mbr (it does have some risks, though).

If you want the original back, it's time to pull out the old disk-editor - and if you mean ERASED as in "I overwrote it a few gazillion times", call the NSA 'cos I ain't going there :tongue:

idsubgun
April 05, 2007, 08:23
Teah, Andy's the man. Helped me tremendously! Now, I've got to sift through well over 100,000 files to see what I need/want.

Thanks Andy! You're a good man! And nice talking to you as well!

Bill

AndyC
April 05, 2007, 08:50
Any time, Bill - you have my number if you need more help, mate :wink:

I'll leave you with this thought :D

http://img98.imageshack.us/img98/8079/uf010205eg8.gif