PDA

View Full Version : Telephone Repair. Anyone have an informative website?

instr8
April 27, 2006, 10:38
I have a somewhat expensive (for a home telephone) setup that is not getting a dialtone. I have checked and it is inside phone. Before i trashed it and the cordless that works off of it, I thought I might try my hand a making a repair. I know it is probably futile because I wouldn't be able to get repair parts if I needed any but I just hate not to even try. I have some experience with board level electronics, so I can solder in any parts, but i just don't know anything about what parts to test out. So, if you know of anything, please share.

rochte
April 27, 2006, 10:53
I would look for the obvious first - loose wires, bad connectors and broken solder joints.

Also a chance that you have a tiny surface-mount fuse on the board somewhere that has blown (don't know if modern phones have these or not, but I wouldn't be surprised).

Beyond such things, it's probably not easily repairable.

Stranger
April 27, 2006, 11:12
Have you tried changing the batteries?

instr8
April 27, 2006, 11:54
It has an adapter (wall power). The phone works, except that it can't here the dialtone. I'm sure lightning got it. It's the same old symptoms of a lightning strike, no dialtone. I just wish I knew what part to replace and where to find that part.

rochte
April 27, 2006, 12:53
If it operates but gives no dial tone and you're pretty certain it's from a lightning strike, then I would look for a fuse (possibly a *very small* fuse, like a tiny rectangular box) on the board. You might find it by tracing the path of the incoming wires from the phone line - it would be in-line with these.

You might also check Sam's RepairFAQ - not sure if they have anything relevant or not:

www.repairfaq.org