PDA

View Full Version : WTK value of WWII Aircraft photos

NHBandit
April 23, 2006, 18:01
Went to a flea market today and bought a small collection of 18 WWII aircraft photos. Is there a market for these ? There are a few bomber pictures showing the nose art including "Swamp Rat", "Bottoms Up", and "Sweet Chariot" Also some crash pics, and a couple pics taken in flight from another aircraft. Most are marked on the back with the date and location where they were taken. Any idea what they might be worth or where to sell them ? Thanks

FN74
April 23, 2006, 18:50
Not really a lot, unless the bird is still flying, then the owner may have interest. Still a great piece of history regardless.

NHBandit
April 23, 2006, 20:05
I probably paid too much but being an Air Force vet I couldn't pass them up.

J. Armstrong
April 23, 2006, 20:36
You might try www.warbirdinformationexchange.org.
As mentioned, the pix probably don't have significant $$ value, unfortunately. But as so much memorabilia has perished along with the veterans of that war, I think it is imperative that some of us preserve what we can, as you are doing. Some of the stuff my Dad kept and passed on to me, I have donated to museums in the interest of preserving it. If nothing else, there's the tax break and satisfaction. If they are pix from the ETO, a good candidate would be the Eigth AirForce Museum in Georgia, which has mounted a serious effort to preserve both oral and pictorial history in that theater. In addition, it is a truly superb presentation of history and The Mighty Eigths part in it. A beautiful facility, great presentation- you will not get through it dry-eyed, I assure you !!!
That lower right pic looks like a typical B24 emergency landing - those critters were awfully prone to breaking in two !

NHBandit
April 24, 2006, 06:44
The crash pic is of the Sweet Chariot. I have several of that one. Most of the pics are marked in pencil on the back with the date and sometimes the names of the crew members. It crashed on 7/20/1944 Doing a Google search I found that out of the 10 man crew 1 was killed. They all recieved the Silver Star.. http://www.450thbg.com/real/stories/sweetchariot.shtml Very cool stuff.

FN74
April 24, 2006, 16:55
I know one of the curators at the Mighty Eighth museum if you need his contact info, let me know.

'TUDE
April 24, 2006, 17:08
BOTTOMS UP
B-25J
486BS/340BG 43-4082 (lost after takeoff on 3/18/45 in the mountains of northern Corsica; wreckage wasn’t found for several weeks – none of the crewmembers were ever found.)

'TUDE
April 24, 2006, 17:17
Swamp Rat
B-24 H-TD
S/N unknown.
Seems this pic is a little later dated than yours.
http://www.navylib.com/ContributedPics/MatrixImages/SwampRat.jpg

J. Armstrong
April 24, 2006, 18:16
Originally posted by FN74
I know one of the curators at the Mighty Eighth museum if you need his contact info, let me know.

Please pass along my compliments - my annual vacation pilgrimage south always includes Kermit Weeks' Fantasy of Flight and the Mighty Eigth. I recommend them both to anyone with an interest in aviation, esp WW2. Also, both are excellent for the kids or spouse/significant other. You cannot go wrong !!

Faltitude, thanks for the additional pics !! Great stuff - what a crime that so much of the recorded history of this era ( and many others as well ) has disappeared already. Good score, Bandit !!