PDA

View Full Version : Advice on Cell phones - Smartphone/PDAs

ALBPM
April 20, 2006, 23:06
It's time to use my Intel Employee discount and upgrade my old cell phone.
I'm very tempted by the new Smart/PDA type phones.

For a non PDA type the "LG The V" looks interesting

For the PDA Types I can get a real good discount on the Blackberry 7130e and 7250.

I can also get a decent discount on the Palm Treo 650 or 700w.

Anyone have any of these???

9thmoon
April 21, 2006, 00:43
Originally posted by ALBPM
It's time to use my Intel Employee discount and upgrade my old cell phone.
I'm very tempted by the new Smart/PDA type phones.

For a non PDA type the "LG The V" looks interesting

For the PDA Types I can get a real good discount on the Blackberry 7130e and 7250.

I can also get a decent discount on the Palm Treo 650 or 700w.

Anyone have any of these???

Of these I'd highly recommend the Treo 700.

Blackberries are crap. Trust me, I know.

The Treos are more reliable hardware, more customizable software (ie: you can load up applications you'll actually use instead of just being stuck with whatever comes with) and have much, much better sound quality in voice conversations. (Blackberries, despite their claims, aren't even full duplex.)

I think I've been through four Blackberries in the time my sister's had her Treo... coming up on a year now. Not a great record.

ALBPM
April 21, 2006, 05:37
Good info on the Blackberries.....

We make the Processors for the new 8700 Series which Verizon doesn't offer yet. And of course the Treos have our Processors in them :biggrin: :biggrin:

ztmd
April 21, 2006, 14:27
I've got the crack berry 7100g, using cingular wireless as my provider.

I've had it about a year now. I really enjoy it. It is nice to be "in touch" all the time, but then again I don't let it run my life. It is excellent for this pupose. The best program I've loaded on my crackberry is google local. You get maps, ariel (SP?) photographs and directions on it real quick. It has been very handy at times, like when stuck in traffic on the way home and searching for the phone number of a restuarant based on location (zip code) and calling ahead of time for take out. I don't think google local is available for the treo.

I've had to replace it once because the "microphone" broke. I must admit that people I speak to complain about the signal when I call. It amplifies low frequency noise to the other person, especially when driving. I think blackberry could improve on the software used for signals / voice. All the problems I've had with this phone relate to voice signals, not data. The manual that comes with the phone has very little information in it. Mine was written in a way that trouble shooted all problems by giving the phone to "your company's IT rep". In other words if you didn't get the phone from your company you have to figure it all out on your own, which is what forums are for.

I'd recomend a PDA phone. They are very handy. I enjoy having a full address book available, email, multiple phone numbers, work and home address.

There are discussion boards on these phones, here's an example of two:

www.blackberryforums.com

forums.cingular.com

I'll probably get another crack berry. However I only sign up for one year contract, I think very few phones last two years.

1811GNR
April 21, 2006, 17:57
What are you gonna use it for? I use the T-Mobile sidekick II, phone, web, address book, calendar, camera and it's own e-mail address. Posting from it right now. Google local too.
Not really meant for business use but great for what I do with it. Probably does even more things that I don't use.

ALBPM
April 21, 2006, 23:03
Well, got a reset today. Went to the big Verizon Store here and they couldn't do shit....LOL!!!!:cry:

We wanted to change the account to my name instead of the wife's to get my full discount and they can't do that at the store.....:redface:

So, I call the customer support # and do that from home. Also, upgraded the minutes and can now use the phones Nation wide.

But.... Can't upgrade our phones till July....

So, we sat down and discussed what we would want the PDAs for and it just didn't make sense to get the PDA phones and have to pay a lot more for the extra minutes we would need and the Data package for the email and such.

I would be tempted to use mine for work and that would be sooo WRONG!!!
If they want me to use one, my Employer can pick up the Tab...:biggrin:

So, I just ordered two Dell Axims (624MHz, an extra 1 GB mem card for both)

Between the two we'll have an extra battery, The BlueTooth GPS System and the mobile cables to use in the car on trips. :biggrin: :biggrin:

Gunny71
April 22, 2006, 00:03
I have a Treo 650. It works pretty good. We run software on it called goodlink to sync them with our exchange server and set security policies. The first few we got in were junk. I think we sent eight of them back(we currently have around 20 of them). They have improved, mine has been flawless, and has survived several falls. I think that the new ones that are coming out that run on the windows platform will be the cats meow.

We had one lady complain that her battery wouldnt stay charged. I asked her if she was using a car charger while on the road. She said, "no, But I keep that big solar thingy on it in the sun"....She was talking about the display...I shit you not.
Gunny

:beer: