PDA

View Full Version : Spare parts to have for my FAL?

goon
April 14, 2006, 00:28
Are there any parts that are known to break or get lost on the FAL. I would like to have some parts around to keep my gun running in case of a breakage. Thanks.

ftierson
April 14, 2006, 03:12
Originally posted by goon
Are there any parts that are known to break or get lost on the FAL. I would like to have some parts around to keep my gun running in case of a breakage. Thanks.

Actually, there aren't any parts that are especially prone to breakage in the FAL. And, during "normal" handling and cleaning, there really aren't many parts that should get lost either. Obviously, small springs and pins are easy to lose if you take stuff apart, but taking stuff apart is not usually necessary.

TAPCO supplies a complete spring set for either metric or inch FALs that's nice to have. GPG has them available for about $16...

A two piece firing pin is nice.

Build a couple of other FALs and you'll always have "replacement" parts :).

Personally, I tend to accumulate lots of extra parts for firearms that I own, but that's mostly because I suffer from Obsessive/Compulsive Disorder :).

Forrest

Andy the Aussie
April 14, 2006, 04:44
Extractor and associated components, firing pin, front sight retaining screws and a collection of springs are all a fair bet. I use to have "several" :biggrin: of about every part but I also suffer that OCD thing when it comes to such matters.

In fairness I have only ever replaced a single broken extractor on either of the two SLRs I use to own and they both had lots of rounds down range.

One that belonged to a mate of mine was used for feral game control (shooting hogs and goats etc from a chopper) and he put down around 60K rounds that he KNEW of. I recall he had replaced one extractor, several sets of recoil springs and the flash suppressor had made like banana ;) . That was about it.

Andy:beer:

ThatFALGuy
April 14, 2006, 04:46
Originally posted by ftierson

Personally, I tend to accumulate lots of extra parts for firearms that I own, but that's mostly because I suffer from Obsessive/Compulsive Disorder :).

Forrest

+1

You also need at least enough extra's to build a coupl more down the road, ya know, just in case!

Sean.

TRANSAM 79
April 14, 2006, 07:12
I like barrels,every weapon style has extra barrel.There is probably no need for them,Ill never wear one out.but with the new ban on them why take a chance.

Falunga
April 14, 2006, 08:02
The only real issue with the FAL is the extractor. It's a bitch to change quickly. I like to have a spare bolt with everything built on it and checked for proper heaspace with me as part of my "spares." If your extractor has an issue, it's a 20-second fix. Keep it with your cleaning supplies and a case extractor while in the field and in a 10-year span nothing else will go wrong.

The FAL is an old weapon -many of the kits are 50-ish years old. If you are paranoid then swap out all the springs. Prolly never have a problem but then you know you are GTG. Keep the old ones as "spares."

Good to have about 4-5 K of mil-surp around and a dozen or more mags. Those are the only other spares one needs for the FAL.

If that isn't enough consider a whole spare rifle...

Jim :fal: FALunga

goon
May 11, 2006, 15:48
On the extractor, I had to change one once and found that it is not a fun experience. I sprung for the tool that DSA sells to change extractors and it was about the best $25 I ever spent.
Thanks for the replies. I am thinking for about $100 I should be able to equip myself really well with spares and be well set.