PDA

View Full Version : How do you get H2O out of Binocular lenses?!

Forest-Rune
April 10, 2006, 16:16
hey guys,

I recently rinsed off my pair of Bushnel Binoculars with water.

big mistake.

now the inside of the lenses are fogged up. i placed them in the sun for about two day, and they are still foggy. I know they are not the top of the line binos, but it still chaps my butt.

any ideas?

thanks

F. Rune

Falunga
April 10, 2006, 16:20
C4

FGD135
April 10, 2006, 16:38
if no C4 available, try oven. very low, several hours. Used to work on my old Weaver 4x; your plastic content may very.

- Will

2barearms
April 10, 2006, 16:58
Vacuum Chamber, Water boils at much lower temperature
in a vacuum and will escape the binos or just cook em.

vmtz
April 10, 2006, 17:11
You likely will end up with a mold problem. Buy a new set.

Vince

Mad Dog 7.62
April 10, 2006, 19:35
They have lost the seal, and the nitrogen has escaped. They will always be a problem with moisture and fogging now. Give them to the kids to play with and buy some new (good) ones.
MD

ftierson
April 10, 2006, 20:36
Unfortunately, what Vince and MD say...

Sorry.

Forrest

Para Driver
April 10, 2006, 20:45
Originally posted by Mad Dog 7.62
They have lost the seal, and the nitrogen has escaped. They will always be a problem with moisture and fogging now. Give them to the kids to play with and buy some new (good) ones.
MD

ask Bushnell if they can be resealed.. your water rinse had nothing to do with it...

Bug Tussell
April 10, 2006, 21:39
marmite

Kyrottimus
April 11, 2006, 02:51
You buy binoculars that aren't crap. Look for ones that are Nitrogen Purged. Those babies could be at the bottom of a 50 foot lake and not take on water.

As for your current ones, I'd hang those babies up in front of the X ring and start blasting away. It would definately make for a cool impact.

HawaiiFALer
April 11, 2006, 04:55
Contrary to popular belief, most commercial binocs are not nitrogen sealed. The ones that are nitrogen filled are mostly military, or high-end. They should be marked, but not always. Riflescopes are not marked to show nitrogen fill, but owner's instructions normally state if they are.

Usually binocs are asssembled in low humidity, controlled climate rooms. And the lenses have some kind of sticky sealant. Retaining rings hold the lenses in place.

Conventional designs use screw-in type retaining rings that you could remove with spanner wrench tools. Clean off the inside of the lenses. Let everything dry in an air-conditioned room. Then use a sealant from optical supply houses, sorta like a never-drying shellac. :biggrin: :aug:

iocane
April 11, 2006, 11:32
dry-z-air
It removes water out of the air. Haven't tried it for binoculars, works real good on other thigs. Its avaleable at many stores, just might take awhile to figure out where they keep it at.

Randall
April 11, 2006, 15:40
Buy Leupold.

olsarg
April 11, 2006, 20:00
This may be crazy but before you throw them out. maybe drill a pin hole in the body put them in a low heat container like oven with pilot light for a few days look thru them if they clear up seal up the holes. we used to have to put drain holes in distributor caps due to high humidity to let the mosiure out.

Windustsearch
April 11, 2006, 22:26
I vote for a combination of C4 and Marmite.

tac-40
April 11, 2006, 22:28
Go to Wally World and buy a box of dessicant. Take the dessicant and binocs and place them inside a big ziplock bag. Then inside another bag. Let is set for about a week and all of the moisture should have been removed from the insides.

brownknees
April 12, 2006, 16:27
Whatever method you use to dry them be real sure to mark the positioning of each & every component you remove.
Binoculars are "Collimated" that means the 2 seperate optical systems are adjusted to line up with each other. If they get out of collimation you will have double images & a pounding headache whenever you try to use them.
Frequently the mounting rings are slightly off center (by such a small amount it is difficult to see with the unaided eye.) If you make a witness mark on each & every component (except the glass) by making a small scratch across each junction then you will be able to re-allign the system withhout a whole bunch of special equipment.
The lenses must also be marked, but in a way that is removable & non damaging.
I usually use a fine point sharpie & make 2 dits, one on the extreem edge of the glass & one on the mounting ring. It can be cleaned off with alcohol after reassembly.
It's probably more trouble than it is worth to do the project, but if you do it will at least let you have a fun time tearing optical systems apart.
Finally make a sketch of where & how each part came off as you remove it. it will save you going nuts when you re-assemble it.

Falunga
April 12, 2006, 18:03
I still like the C4 idea...

Once bino's get water in them they are pretty much toast. I once sent a cheapo scope back to Bushnell and they sent it back all dry and sealed. I think all they charged me was shipping. Maybe it was a good day, maybe they do this for anyone. But shipping was almost as much as a new cheapo Busnell would have been.

I'd would have had just as much fun blowing it to the moon with some C4 -if I only had some...

Jim :fal: FALunga