PDA

View Full Version : What's the best/easy way to copy slides

Stoney
December 31, 2005, 22:21
?

vmtz
December 31, 2005, 22:24
If you have a 35mm camera you can buy an adapter. Or you could buy a scanner that has a slide attachment.

Vince

Lon Moer
January 01, 2006, 00:34
http://falfiles.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=154472
:wink:

ftierson
January 01, 2006, 02:01
Originally posted by vmtz
If you have a 35mm camera you can buy an adapter. Or you could buy a scanner that has a slide attachment.

What Vince says...

Keep in mind that slides are rapidly on their way out... That's a bummer for those of us who have many tens of thousands of slides... Kodak has ceased the manufacture of slide film and no longer manufactures slide projectors. If you have a lot of slides, you might want to lay in a supply of projector bulbs, just to be sure. The lamp code for Carousel (Ektagraphic) projectors is ELH. Get some while you can.

I have a slide scanner, but it is quite slow to scan... It would take me a couple of lifespans to scan all my slides. But, then again, I prefer the slides to scanned images anyway. A scanned image projected in a PowerPoint presentation is not as good as the original slide image. Get an extra projector and spare bulbs. You will also find that projector lenses can be purchased on eBay for almost nothing (for example, I just snagged a new-in-box Kodak Ektagraphic FF 100-150 f/3.5 zoom lens for $19).

Forrest

Mikul
January 11, 2006, 15:33
If you are going to scan in volume, get a slide scanner that automagically removes scratches and dust like Nikon's digital ICE. It works by scanning with an IR LED that sees through minor surface impefections.

Nikon also offers a new slide feeder that can handle 50 slides at a time.

I have a low-end Minolta scanner and if I want top quality, I have to spend about 15 minutes per slide to remove the dust.

Expect to spend $900.

MichonRAFW
January 11, 2006, 20:47
My father recently purchased an epson RX620 and loves it (~$250-300 depending on deals). Copies, scans (negatives and slides too), prints (photo quality).

Slides take awhile to scan (about 3 minutes) and it scans 4 at a time I think. The easiest way is to load all of your slides in a projector and go through them to see which ones you actually want to scan.

The printing is amazing. Photo quality with amazing color. We've been doing a lot of 4x6 and 5x7 prints.

HTH

Ryan

cabinetman
January 12, 2006, 14:53
We, too, have a ton of 35mm slides that we're converting to digital. I have a great scanner (HP 4670) that has a slide attachment that I use for some shots. However, there are companies out there that will plunk them into a CD for very little money and do a great job.

Here's one just as an example:

http://www.slidescanning.com/index.html

If you do a google search for "converting slides to digital", you'll find a bunch of companies that will do that for you. As the link above shows, there are a lot of options you can select from. The cheaper the service, however, the lower the quality. Scanning them at 2000 dpi would be the mininum I'd want, especially if you're going to project them on your HDTV. You'll also want them to be cleaned, first, or you'll be playing with your photo editor for hours on end.

It's not worth doing it yourself just from the time and equipment constraints. I'd rather send my check along with a few hundred slides or a couple of carosels and enjoy the results.

Once they are digitized, you'll be able to create your own slide shows which is what I believe you're going to do.....just as I have.

Rome