PDA

View Full Version : My new dream speakers

Dean P
November 23, 2005, 21:06
My new dream speakers
http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=5833766309

Temp
November 23, 2005, 21:09
I've noticed that you've been building a hell of a stereo system, Dean.

Does this mean that you'll soon be purchasing a bong and a copy of Led Zepplin's Physical Graffiti?

Temp
November 23, 2005, 21:15
I can just see my man Dean now,... all trussed up in a pair of paisley bell bottoms, draggin' a big pull off the bong,... steppin' around the living room and singing along with Robert Plant's vocals blastin' outta them big ass speakers,...

Let me take you to the movies. Can I take you to the show
Let me be yours ever truly. Can I make your garden grow

From the houses of the holy, we can watch the white doves go
From the door comes Satan's daughter, and it only goes to show. You know.

garandguy10
November 23, 2005, 21:16
He does not own a bong already??!!:smile:

Dean P
November 23, 2005, 21:18
I can just see my man Dean now,... all trussed up in a pair of paisley bell bottoms, draggin' a big pull off the bong,... steppin' around the living room and singing along with Robert Plant,....

Let me take you to the movies. Can I take you to the show
Let me be yours ever truly. Can I make your garden grow

From the houses of the holy, we can watch the white doves go
From the door comes Satan's daughter, and it only goes to show. You know.
Just getting started;)

Temp
November 23, 2005, 21:18
lolol,....

Dean P
November 23, 2005, 21:49
I think I will bid on them if nothing else just to see how high they will go.:shades:

Jon Frum
November 23, 2005, 23:27
Cool

fastfreddy
November 24, 2005, 00:09
I hope you don't live in an efficiency or a mobile home :D

ENJOY!

owlcreekok
November 24, 2005, 07:30
Niiiiice. Hope you get the system for under $1k Dean ! :wink:

Hell, Temp, that tune will be in my head all day now. No complaints, mind.

Happy T-day you effers !

Headin fer the Gulf. Be back in a few hrs.

larphred
November 24, 2005, 13:11
Dean--don't mean to rain on your parade but back in the late 80s I owned a speaker shop where we built speakers, kinda like Speakerlab. Our top of the line was a tower design with a front facing long throw 12" woofer, a down firing 10" subwoofer crossed at 150 Hz. Three inch dome midrange and one inch dome tweeter and one inch supertweeter. I still remember hauling them over to a large local store that sold corner horns. We had a rather large audience and our only condition was to eqalize the db coming out of the corner horns. What can I say, everyone (except the salesman) agreed that the horns sounded "horny". They were great for trumpets, but sounded really "canned" when it came to vocals. I remember requesting Diamonds and Rust by Joan Baez and that's where most people shook their heads and walked out after hearing the corner horns. Klipsch does have the db's, but I don't they reproduce music accureately.
Again, that's just my opinion.

FALshot
November 24, 2005, 14:09
Hey Dean:
I had no idea you were into HiFi,...Much less into horn loaded HiFi!
(Especially the finest horn loaded speakers in the world,..KLIPSCH!)

Of my four vintage tube driven HiFi's Klipsch speakers play two of them. My cornerstone system has a pair of mint birch LaScalas driven by a pair of Ampex 620 mono's from the mid fiftys and a McIntosh C11 pre from 1961.

Downstairs I have a pair of bass reflex Klipsch KP301 profesionals driven by a Dynaco ST70 with a matched quad of JJ EL34s and a Mapletree tube Pre.

Out of this world what a pair of super sensitive Klipsch horn loaded speakers can do with two or three watts of power!

Regards,

Bill Woodward
Portland, OR

Dean P
November 24, 2005, 16:44
Dean--don't mean to rain on your parade but back in the late 80s I owned a speaker shop where we built speakers, kinda like Speakerlab. Our top of the line was a tower design with a front facing long throw 12" woofer, a down firing 10" subwoofer crossed at 150 Hz. Three inch dome midrange and one inch dome tweeter and one inch supertweeter. I still remember hauling them over to a large local store that sold corner horns. We had a rather large audience and our only condition was to eqalize the db coming out of the corner horns. What can I say, everyone (except the salesman) agreed that the horns sounded "horny". They were great for trumpets, but sounded really "canned" when it came to vocals. I remember requesting Diamonds and Rust by Joan Baez and that's where most people shook their heads and walked out after hearing the corner horns. Klipsch does have the db's, but I don't they reproduce music accureately.
Again, that's just my opinion.

Your shop was it Utah speakers?

Dean P
November 24, 2005, 16:46
FALshot & limeyinaz thanks for the comments

larphred
November 24, 2005, 17:27
Dean--it was actually called Speakercraft and it was in Salt Lake from about '87-'90. I do remember Utah speakers, though. Believe they only made drivers, though. Hope I didn't offend you--I know you are a good guy.

Dean P
November 24, 2005, 19:47
Dean--it was actually called Speakercraft and it was in Salt Lake from about '87-'90. I do remember Utah speakers, though. Believe they only made drivers, though. Hope I didn't offend you--I know you are a good guy.
Not hardly, good taste , beauty & sound is in the eyes of the beholder. I will watch for your speakers. A lot of speaker mfg. are no longer in business, I have several pair no one knows anything about.

jerrymrc
November 24, 2005, 22:42
I always liked K horns with tubes. You need the space to use em. I have owned Maggies since the 70s with alot of side trips along the way. I think the Klipsch
rate up there with alot of great speakers.

For those looking at vintage audio there is a very good site.

Audiokarma (http://www.audiokarma.org)

Be aware that vintage audio is growing by leaps and bounds. It has even reached other countries and the prices are going up. For me I never left.
All 1500 albums or so. :D

FALshot
November 24, 2005, 22:59
Hey Jerry:
Well you know I'm a died in the wool horn loaded Kilpsch fan, but I just sold my magnapans because they were a bit watt hungry for all of my vintage tube amps. (yes I do have quite a few that I splice into my HiFi's from time to time)

The only thing that can come up to par with K-horns or LaScalas (in my opinion)in terms of highs (or a woman's voice) is a pair of Magnapans.

I LOVE vintage audio gear!

Bill Woodward
Portland, OR.

jerrymrc
November 24, 2005, 23:52
Originally posted by FALshot
Hey Jerry:
Well you know I'm a died in the wool horn loaded Kilpsch fan, but I just sold my magnapans because they were a bit watt hungry for all of my vintage tube amps. (yes I do have quite a few that I splice into my HiFi's from time to time)

The only thing that can come up to par with K-horns or LaScalas (in my opinion)in terms of highs (or a woman's voice) is a pair of Magnapans.

I LOVE vintage audio gear!

Bill Woodward
Portland, OR.

So you spent alot of time at hawthorne stereo like I did? Franklin class of 76.

limeyinaz. Having owned a pair of DQ-10s I will say that they still to this day are sought after. one of the few dynamic (cone) speakers that will image like a set of maggies. they do need a sub like maggies do and are very power hungry.

Now after all this there is one speaker that I do not have the room for that would replace my Magnepans and that is a pair of Carver ALS.

I had a pair of MGII at the time and the Carvers blew me away. I listened to a set just last year and IMO they still are one of the best.

I have around the house at the moment. MMG maggies with a sub. A pair of HPM 700's. Two sets of Advents. One set of Advent 3's. A pair of Infinity RSB's
one pair of DIY speakers that are in the sitting room powered by that all time "get em in the mood with blue lights" Marantz receiver!

The Maggies are powered by a Yamaha M85 with a rotating preamp of a Yamaha C-6 or a Carver CT-Seven. I do have a SAE a301 as a back up amp.

Dean P
November 25, 2005, 11:47
I have 2 pair of McIntoish FR5s, running 1 pair with a Dalquist DQMX1 passive crossover helping the bass. It really sounds good, I really want to stack both pair & see what happens. :)

FALshot
November 25, 2005, 16:47
Originally posted by Dean P
I have 2 pair of McIntoish FR5s, running 1 pair with a Dalquist DQMX1 passive crossover helping the bass. It really sounds good, I really want to stack both pair & see what happens. :)

I sold my DQMX as a package with my minty DQ10's to a guy in Germany,...they were listed on ebay for less than ten minutes!

The DQMX passive crossover is still very well thought of, it did do it's job but I had a Dahlquist 400watt PASSIVE sub, (it also went with the package) and the passive sub just didn't cut it for me.

The DQ10 were a passing fancy for me, while I'm glad I owned them, when I listened to some horn loaded Klipsch LaScalas and K Horns, the DQ10 were pale. (to me)

Besides the DQ10's needed at least 175 Watts to even begin to come into their own. (I had two Carver M200's wired in as monos)

Then I started listening to some vintage Scott amps, (I have a redone 299D) and I knew vintage tube gear was the ticket,...for me.

There's so much out there in the way of affordable vintage gear that sounds so good you'd need to spend thousands to equal the sound it delivers with "New State of The Art" gear.

Regards,
Bill Woodward
Portland, OR.