PDA

View Full Version : Can you read Vietnamese? What is this?

Mebsuta
November 16, 2005, 11:55
Some parts I ordered from Sarco came in this plastic bag. Is the Vietnamese writing on it instructions on how to open the bag, or is it a Chieu Hoi message for anyone who happened to find it somewhere? Wonder what was originally in this bag. Probably mundane, but saw the dates on it and wondered. Thanks.

ironman0311
November 16, 2005, 12:03
They are the instructions for use of the waterproof (Sic)! rifle magazine bag pictured. IIRC.

Two seasons in RVN.

Hot and wet.

Cold and wet.

:)

Mebsuta
November 16, 2005, 12:21
Thanks Ironman.

olsarg
November 16, 2005, 12:59
Chieu Hoi bag after you take your mag out by ripping off the end you discard it for VC to use to do the french thing.

Jon Frum
November 16, 2005, 13:06
It says die you running capitolist pig dog! :D

Rivaltm
November 16, 2005, 13:11
is there anywhere to get magazines still in these packages?

I always thought it was a pretty cool idea, and having an original mag in one of those packages would be a great addition to a vietnam collection

Eclipse
November 18, 2005, 21:29
http://www.falfiles.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=131679&highlight=Chieu+Hoi

yovinny
November 19, 2005, 08:22
Originally posted by Rivaltm
is there anywhere to get magazines still in these packages?

I always thought it was a pretty cool idea, and having an original mag in one of those packages would be a great addition to a vietnam collection

I'm thinking the mag's did'nt originally come in these, but were put in these for storage.
I've got a few, new 20rd mag pouches, that are from that era.
They each came with 5 or 6 of these plastic bags inside them.

ironman0311
November 19, 2005, 19:33
Also acts as a Chieu Hoi Chit.
Saw many of those but never one like the one above.
Here's an interpratation from a friend.

"Rough translation is:

"Period of welcome to help a friend to return and meet his mother and father and wife and children and live peacefully in the free and democratic country of Viet Nam."

Think it's a "get out of jail free" card, or as we used to call them....Chieu Hoi Passes or Open Arms Program.

As you may recall, they were put out in different forms, (I think I may still have a Chieu Hoi ball point pen somewhere), with the idea of bad guys picking them up, bringing them in, and coming over to our side.

Not sure I ever saw one on something like this though. Be curious as to what it is attached to. Probably has nothing at all to do with what the package contains."

Falfegnügen
November 21, 2005, 21:47
I'm curious, was this one of the "fixes" to keep the M16's running?

olsarg
November 22, 2005, 21:11
Modern way to keep your powder dry. you clean the magazine load it with ammo put it in the bag and seal. Then it says clean and dry for a few days. you need the mag you take it out rip off the end take out the Magazine throw the bag away. The Choi Hoi was a little psh ops. Good way to reach the desired target if you didn't get him with the ammo.

Mad Dog 7.62
November 25, 2005, 01:58
Yeah, and if that didn't work and he kept the bag to cook his rice in, the Ethylene Vinyl Acetate Copolymer took care of him.
MD