PDA

View Full Version : the best 20 acres for 20 grand cash in the S.East U.S>

detroit360
August 25, 2005, 23:54
I'm about fed up with south Florida, we just had another hurricane come thru here' in fact the eye just went over my head about 2 hrs. ago , that means the wind insurance wil go up again, and the electric will go up again, to pay for all the damage, where can a guy buy 20 acres for 20 grand cash, in the south east, or is that still possible ??

XHardrock
August 26, 2005, 05:09
Not possible here in northwest SC or surrounding area.
The only way to get acreage at a decent price is to buy 100 acres and split it between a number of buyers/investors.
The price would be around 4k per acre at best.

This is from 3 yrs. ago, I haven't priced land recently.

I have friends in Fla. that just closed on property (subdivided lot) here, I believe they have had enough of the hurricanes also.

Good luck

detroit360
August 26, 2005, 07:39
Well when I came down here in 72, it was really nice, houses were cheap taxes and insurance was cheap, now its like a foreign country nobody speaks english hardly and talk about crowded,htere ain't one square foot of land thats underveloped no fricking place to shoot, its all turned to crap !!!!!

Stranger
August 26, 2005, 09:16
When you specify SE US does that mean east of the big river? If you don't mind Oklahoma summers, I might be able to parcel out a piece around that size.

Although, I will require a lifetime supply of .308 ammo and mineral rights, in addition to the settled cash price.

FN74
August 26, 2005, 09:22
58 acres for sale up here for 2300.00 per. He'll split it up into 10 acre parcels for $30K, owner terms.

Check the internet for timber property for sale, sometimes you can get land for as little as $600.00 per acre.

Good land too.

http://www.georgialand.com/
http://www.landcrawler.com/ (good site!)
http://www.landflip.com/land/georgia_land_for_sale_map.asp
http://www.greatgeorgiaproperties.com/land/land.htm expensive but nice...
http://www.ingramlegrand.com/georgia_timberland_for_sale.htm
http://www.eaglestar.net/crn.html
http://www.propertyviews.com/
http://www.acreage.com/

Great places to start.

odin75
August 26, 2005, 09:29
My brother and I have been looking for the same type of setup. Middle upper Tennessee (Cumberland region) has some good deals going right now for acreage. 1.5-2k per acre depending on size of parcel. Kentucky same story. One has to be carefull when looking up in those areas though. Some areas are quite nice and have a decent local economy, while some are quite depressed and you will find the economy hinges around production of meth. You can also find land in Alabama and Mississipi for reasonable prices, but I would imagine with the same caveats.

Greg in FL

Joerkol
August 26, 2005, 09:41
I have a friend who bought a large section of lake front property and land when ever he need cash he would sell a section but made sure the person buying was pro gun and at time of closing had the person buying sign a contract stating that the range and shooting didnot bother him or them when the owner shot his rifle or pistols. Just a thought if you buy a bunch of land and latter need cash!!!
Joe

WJ-Polish Guy
August 26, 2005, 09:41
Originally posted by detroit360
Well when I came down here in 72, it was really nice, houses were cheap taxes and insurance was cheap, now its like a foreign country nobody speaks english hardly and talk about crowded,htere ain't one square foot of land thats underveloped no fricking place to shoot, its all turned to crap !!!!!

Yeah man! Just plain to many people and keep comming ageinst all the odds like last year storms.
Real estate boom is in full swing. Whay do we need more to scare some damn people off?
It used to be Hispanic pressure mostly, but now I see rednecks from poor regions like Tennesse, Alabama also flocking down here....

rob1
August 26, 2005, 11:52
Originally posted by WJ-Polish Guy

It used to be Hispanic pressure mostly, but now I see rednecks from poor regions like Tennesse, Alabama also flocking down here....

Who you callin redneck? Naw, we aint really got no reason to come down there at least to stay, aint really nothin' Southern 'bout it noways.

WJ-Polish Guy
August 26, 2005, 17:20
Originally posted by rob1

Who you callin redneck? Naw, we aint really got no reason to come down there at least to stay, aint really nothin' Southern 'bout it noways.

Dude, I just look on the plates of the newcamers. `Bama, Tennessee, Luisiana. I`m ten years here, didn`t see it before.
Money, sounds like good reason or just hungry. Southern or not:D

Jon Frum
August 26, 2005, 17:51
South Georgia has cheap land but you have to live in the middle of nowhere.

Cava3r4
August 26, 2005, 18:18
you might be able to get some in northern minnesota for that.
You had better take up "arctic camping" though!
Glad I'm oughta there.
Too many libs also.
Bob

detroit360
August 26, 2005, 19:21
Well at least I know theres some thing out there, when I get my 20, soon I hope, I'll at least know where to look, and I don't have any thing against foreigners, my grand parents came over in 1913 from austria, I think they knew the shit was going hit the fan, the other side came from great britain in about 1700,that side actually fought in the american revolution we had our family tree done, they still have his war records somwhere, we got a copy of his discharge paper, Josiah Taylor, half moon New York, the one good thing about Florida is if I can ever get the old goose to sell, I'll make a bundle, so far she won't budge, so I figured I would buy some land and go some of the time whith out her, I'm retired, sorry for the life story

machinist
August 26, 2005, 19:36
My wife and 4 boys have been living in Winchester, Tenn for 19 yrs. There's enough industry around to keep the place hopping,and we have Tims Ford Lake and the Elk River. My 16yr old just pulled a 6 lb brown trout from a small feeder creek. I have not checked land prices recently, but I recommend the place. I want to move to Florida, how can you give up that gulf fishing?
Good Luck

detroit360
August 26, 2005, 20:13
the gulf is on the other side, i live on the east side, in pompano beach

Frontman
August 26, 2005, 21:44
Got 40 acres in west Texas a few years ago for a good price, I've been meaning to move out there as soon as all the loose ends are tied up here in Florida, hopefully it'll be sorted out in a few months.

BTW, summers in Oklahoma have nothing on South Florida.

Snakeshot
August 26, 2005, 21:53
Last year, I sold 10 acres in Alabama.
Bought in '93 for less than you're willing to pay, sold in '04 for more than you're willing to pay.

Very nice piece of land, but there were no utilities, water or phone nearby. The cost to run those in would be large, but not too bad.

For your price point, figure on a well powered by a generator and cooking and heating with wood. To upgrade would be your nickle.

'TUDE
August 26, 2005, 22:35
Several areas of SE Oklahoma come to mind. Have a couple of small parcels there as well as my dad. Many areas, land can be had for $500-600 per acre on small plots. Grant you, they are secluded, away from metro conveniences, and offer challenges for city slickers. I will say that there are some beautiful places that can be had for $20k near the Arkansas/Oklahoma border area, of which is my firsy choice for "getting away" and hunting. Deer, hog, bear, cougar, etc. as well as the thickest woods and moderate elevations. Only bad part......no jobs in those areas unless you teach, preach or grow pot.

detroit360
August 26, 2005, 23:14
I cut meat for forty years, I'm done with work, in that sense, but for those forty years I've been trying to get to the boonies (as my wife would say, she's from Veitnam, by the way) so I really don't care about how far out in the sticks it is, I just want a nice hunk of land before I croak. My last kid will finish high school this year, than I'm outa here, my sister lives in Arkansas just east of Ft. smith, I think it's called, I went thru that area of Oklahoma last year, and it is pretty around there.

'TUDE
August 26, 2005, 23:33
detroit, I'm telling ya, since you already have family in that general area, you might want to take a send look around there. I've traveled abroad and have yet to find a more secluded and undisturbed area in the south other than the four-corners region.
As you may already know, the cheapest land is furthest away from civilization, and requires you to drill a water well and have a septic tank installed. There are areas where you can get lucky though. We've been looking at a place near Yuba, Oklahoma of 28 acres, existing and operating well, septic, power, and phone. Has two ponds, one large creek with water year around and one small rocky creek that holds small pools of spring water year around. Fenced, cross-fenced, culverts at road, driveway and a pad atop a nice lookout hill just waiting for a home to be built on. Price is $17k but I'm still working the old timer to sell at $15k. The detractor is location. "Town" with gasoline and groceries is 35 miles away. 'Town" with gas, groceries, and ammo is 43 miles away with a serious maze of gravel roads to navigate. One thing about it, you can see and/or hear someone driving down the county road from 2 miles away.

Pull up an Oklahoma map that lists counties and start picking the areas you may be interested in. Then, search for real estate listing to suit your requirements.

Other areas of interest are around Dequeen, Glenwood, and Caddo Gap Arkansas. Again, beautiful scenery and hunting with plenty of places out in the boonies. A couple of years ago, I passed on a nice 3 br/1bth house with central heat/air, new roof on 12 acres near Caddo Gap, AR for $ 18K. I'm still sick over passing it up.

detroit360
August 26, 2005, 23:55
Falitude, I think your exactly right, I've been thinking of that area for a long time, I remember telling my kid as we passed thru that part of Oklahoma( the south part of the state was to flat, reminded me of Florida) how nice it was, also it would be easy for me to scout out the area cause I could stay at my sister's

rob1
August 27, 2005, 09:04
Originally posted by WJ-Polish Guy

Dude, I just look on the plates of the newcamers. `Bama, Tennessee, Luisiana. I`m ten years here, didn`t see it before.
Money, sounds like good reason or just hungry. Southern or not:D
I was in the Daytona/Orlando area recently and was amazed at how much it has grown. I'm all for sending some of our folks down your way, though, we're growing way too fast as well!

MTS
August 27, 2005, 09:26
How far you are from town is an issue. When I moved to where I live now, I thought I had gone too far.

Twenty years later, I can drive to a Wal-Mart, auto parts store, restaurants, etc. in 20 minutes.

The bad side is that people are everywhere now. The really bad side is that it was announced the other day that the new I-69 corridor (Mexico to Chicago) will run within 10 miles of my house. Who could have known?

I could sell now and make money, but I need to work a few more years and have a kid in high school (home school).

Another thing to consider is with advancing age, I'm less likely to enjoy the hard outdoors work, and more likely to need some medical attention.

Lots of things to think about.

medicmike
August 27, 2005, 11:07
Good to hear there are parts of the country where land is still affordable. Couldn't touch 20 acres of bare land in my county for less than half a mill!

gunhead
August 27, 2005, 12:00
1/2 mil for 20 acres? You might just get 1 acre here on LI, NY for that but maybe in the pine barrens:uhoh:
GL with your quest, you'll find something, am sure!
Rich