PDA

View Full Version : "The Great Raid" and Bataan Death March

Plain George
August 13, 2005, 01:02
I worked at the VA hospital for many years. In the nursing home section we had a survivor of the Bataan Death March.
He was a small man in stature, and a man with more ‘will’ than any one I ever saw. He never talked about his experience, even tho I tried to befriend him. He was confined to a wheel chair and you could tell his body was worn out and beaten.
Every day and NIGHT he would sit at a table in the nursing home dining room, and would sleep slumped over the table. When asked why he would not go to sleep in his bed, he always replied, “If I go to bed, I will die”.
After many years of knowing him, one night he told the nurse that he wanted to go to bed. He was taken to his bed and went to sleep the first time any one could remember since he had arrived there.
The next morning he did not wake up.
I always wanted to know the story of his life during and since Bataan, but I guess I will never know it.
May his soul be resting in a better place!

Celtic warrior
August 13, 2005, 16:36
PG,
There's no doubt that our former Japanese comtemporaries got away with a lot more s**t than the Germans ever did. The atrocities of Bataan, the march, and the over all treatment of American and British POWS are stories of legion. Most of the better ones ( hate to use that for a word) from the soldiers who were there will never be told.
The Japs got off too easy on that.

My condolences on your loss, and I hope he now does rest in peace.

vmtz
August 13, 2005, 19:29
Quite a few were from New Mexico and Hispanic. They were from a reserve unit.

Vince

Infantry Marine
August 14, 2005, 09:35
Originally posted by vmtz
Quite a few were from New Mexico and Hispanic.
So what's your point? Some were Oriental, Indian etc. What difference does it make if some were Hispanic? Any blood can be American blood. You have a problem with that?

vmtz
August 14, 2005, 09:38
Originally posted by Infantry Marine

So what's your point? Some were Oriental, Indian etc. What difference does it make if some were Hispanic? Any blood can be American blood. You have a problem with that?

Engage your brain before posting.

Vince