PDA

View Full Version : A 'TV' License is required in Ireland!!!

pavil58ff
May 13, 2005, 07:06
Hey all, check this link out. I guess it is the real thing but I don't know. When I read it my mouth plopped open. I have never heard of anything like this. And to think my grandmother was 100% Irish....

http://www.rte.ie/about/organisation/tvlicence.html

Brian

Stranger
May 13, 2005, 07:16
Yeah! Yet another opportunity for graft and bribery! :rolleyes:

vmtz
May 13, 2005, 07:18
England has required one for years. Pays for the BBC.

Vince

xcpd69
May 13, 2005, 07:24
Originally posted by vmtz
England has required one for years. Pays for the BBC.

Vince

Yeah, but the BBC is a Goverment owned entity. As are ALL broadcast venues, if I recall rightly.

Not exactly a Free Press..

vmtz
May 13, 2005, 07:32
Originally posted by xcpd69

Yeah, but the BBC is a Goverment owned entity. As are ALL broadcast venues, if I recall rightly.

Not exactly a Free Press..

They do a better job then Fox.

Vince

xcpd69
May 13, 2005, 07:39

Vince

So you think Government Monopoly is the answer?

:rolleyes:

Stranger
May 13, 2005, 07:54

Vince

I guess I am going to start trolling Vince for spelling. ".... than Fox."

On second thought, that would turn into a 60 hour a week job considering how much he posts. Never mind.

Anyway, I think they should start it here in the US. Maybe they could make it a progressive tax? The larger screen TV you buy the more tax you pay.

BTW, does Great Britain have a sales tax?

vmtz
May 13, 2005, 08:02
Originally posted by Stranger

I guess I am going to start trolling Vince for spelling. ".... than Fox."

On second thought, that would turn into a 60 hour a week job considering how much he posts. Never mind.

Anyway, I think they should start it here in the US. Maybe they could make it a progressive tax? The larger screen TV you buy the more tax you pay.

BTW, does Great Britain have a sales tax?

Yes, it is called VAT.

Vince

English Mike
May 13, 2005, 08:10

Yes, it is called VAT.

Vince

17.5%:cry:

Sailor553
May 13, 2005, 08:25
Oh oh....maybe Bush will invade to further the spread of democracy and free markets and commerce.

FNSam
May 13, 2005, 09:29
S.O.B. 17.5% :eek: for Value Added Tax. I thought we had tax problems.
However a TV Tax may have some benefits. We Americans spend way to much time in front of the tube (IMO).

Poccur
May 13, 2005, 12:19
VAT is not on everything..just some stuff but it still sucks!!

The TV licence pays for the BBC? If that was the case a television set modified to be unable to pick up BBC and only capable of watching cable or satelite would be free to operate...No Chance...The licence is now termed as for the right to operate a television set. They may use that money to pay for BBC programs but you pay if you watch BBC or not.
We need to watch these unfair taxations..that is how revolutions start:)

In 2003 they collected 2,659m ($5000m) in licence fees from TV owners!!

Up until 1971 you had to have a licence for radio in the UK!!!

Cheers

Poccur:)

K43guy
May 13, 2005, 22:38
So if you operate your television in a disorderly manner, do you have to go to class to learn how to use your television? :?

terrapin88
May 13, 2005, 23:20
Hmm, do you need a special spank license to watch the spice channel?

"yes, good morning ma'am. I'm here to apply for the class 'A' hi capacity spanksallotta peter permit."

Of course there'd be a 3 day waiting period for all baby oil purchases while the feds ran your back ground check and made sure you've taken the mandatory masturbatory safety class where you'd be taught general safe handling techniques like always treat it as if it were loaded, and never point it at yourself or others, and of course the importance of good eye protection. You could really get yourself into a sticky situation if you are careless.
Negligent discharge? Sounds dangerous.

C-

Yo Quiero FAL
May 14, 2005, 00:12
What's on the teli ?

Looks like a penguin.

Monty Python

Oh and the TV was a properly taxed TV.