PDA

View Full Version : Foghat guitarist Rod Price dies.....

Queenie
March 24, 2005, 14:55
Rod Price dies after fall at home.... (http://news.yahoo.com/news?tmpl=story&u=/ap/20050324/ap_en_mu/obit_price) :sad: Foghat was and still is one of my favorite bands from the good ole days. Too bad. At least it seems he got to lead a "normal" life after settling down.

raeldridge
March 24, 2005, 16:40
57?

boy, that's old.

wait a minute.....(counting on fingers)

that ain't that old.

(checks driver's license)

wait a minute...........................................

seriously, sad to hear of his passing. didn' t like all of their stuff, but still good rock 'n roll. and sounds like he was pretty centered in his later years.

owlcreekok
March 24, 2005, 16:49
Sad news, that is. May he rest in peace. I remember his face like I saw him yesterday. Reckon I got over a half dozen concert ticket stubs from Foghat shows. Great music, ,,, to me. Favorite song was 'Terraplane Blues'. Another of the original crew passed before Rod. Can't remember which one. I know the lineup included Rod, Roger Earle, and Dave Peverett. (spellings?) A fourth that I cannot recall.

:bigangel:

masman
March 24, 2005, 17:00
that sucks:(

16R40
March 24, 2005, 18:20
http://www.hunt101.com/img/244258.jpg

Mebsuta
March 24, 2005, 18:28
Slow Ride was a good song.

I think Lonesome Dave was the other guitarist who is now gone.

Firestarter
March 24, 2005, 19:14
Anyone remember the Savoy Brown blues band? It was Foghat's previous band name with the same lineup except the drummer. I have the cd "Looking In".

Temp
March 24, 2005, 19:27
I recall the cover of their "Fool for the City" album,... scruffy lookin' dude sitting in the street fishing in a manhole. It came out in either 75 or 76,.... about the time that I left the old home place and became an urbanite.

Yeah,.... I remember walking around the living room of my apartment,...bobbin' my head to "Fool for the City" turned up to eleven on my Pioneer 1010,..... a bong in one hand,...Bic lighter in the other,.....

Temp
March 24, 2005, 19:32
Goin' to the city, got you on my mind,
Country sure is pretty, I'll leave it all behind,
This is my decision, I'm comin' home to stay this time.

'Cause I'm a fool for the city, I'm a fool for the city,
Fool for the city, I'm a fool for the city.

Breathin' all the clean air, sittin' in the sun,
When I get my train fare, I'll get up and run.
I'm ready for the city, air pollution here I come!

I'm a fool for the city, I'm a fool for the city.

I'm like a fish out of water, I'm just a man in a hole.
The city lights turn my blues into gold.
I ain't no country boy, I'm just a homesick man.
I'm gonna hit the grit just as fast as I can.

I'm tired of layin' back, hangin' around,
I'm gonna catch that train, then I'll be city bound.

{Rod - Solo}

I ain't no country boy, I'm just a homesick man.
I'm gonna hit the grit just as fast as I can.

I'll get off on Main Street, step into the crowd,
Sidewalk under my feet, yeah, traffic's good and loud.
When I see my inner city child, I'll be walkin' on a cloud.

I'm a fool for the city, I'm a fool for the city...
I'm a fool, (Fool for the city) A fool for the city, (Fool for the city)
I'm a fool, (Fool for the city) A fool for the city, (Fool for the city)
I'm a fool, (Fool for the city) A crazy fool, (Fool for the city)

I'm a fool yea, (Fool for the city) A fool for the city, (Fool for the city)
(Fool for the city) (Fool for the city)
I ain't no country boy, woo! (Fool for the city) (Fool for the city)
Woo! (Fool for the city) (Fool for the city)
A Fool for the city (Fool for the city) (Fool for the city)
Whoo! (Fool for the city) (Fool for the city) ...

W.E.G.
March 24, 2005, 19:48
Bummed that Rod pulled an endo in his crib.

Dave Peverett died in 2000
http://www.foghat.com/tribute/

I love the Fool for the City tune too. Not too hard to play the intro riff. If you got your axe nearby form an "E" barre chord up at the 7th fret and strum it real in an eruptive 3-stroke riff and let ring

then move down (toward the nut) to the third fret, and using the same chord shape form a "C" chord at the third fret - strum a slightly more lazy 3-stroke riff - let ring just a tad

then slide up to the 5th fret and give one solid strum on an "A" chord using the "other" main barre chord shape - let ring

at the same fret (5th) quickly snap to the previous barre chord shape and strum 3 closely-syncopated beats on the "D" chord - do not let ring

quickly slide back to the initial "E" chord for one strum - preferably an upstroke - let ring.

Repeat this groove as long as you like. It accounts for much of the tune.

One arrangement plays more of a "power chord" (which is easier) than a full barre chord for the signature riff.

Here is a good start on the chords used in the tune.

http://www.falfiles.com/forums/attachment.php?s=&postid=963807

Temp
March 24, 2005, 19:58
Originally posted by gary.jeter

http://www.falfiles.com/forums/attachment.php?s=&postid=963807

lolol,.... that's the one,.....

,... deja' vu,.....

Red4
March 24, 2005, 20:14
Thatís sad news.

I have some friends who say I went to a Foghat concert with them in the late 70ís. They tell me I enjoyed it greatly.:shades: :whiskey: :whiskey: :devil: :sleep:

Snakeshot
March 24, 2005, 20:22
Originally posted by Temp

lolol,.... that's the one,.....

,... deja' vu,.....
I used to have that poster on my wall when I was in high school.:rofl:

owlcreekok
March 25, 2005, 06:15
Thanks for the tab, Gary! :bow:

FAL guy
March 25, 2005, 10:23
Man....if I had the time back I spent driving around, getting high, listening to Foghat's "Driving Wheel" turned up to 11.:bow:

garandguy10
March 25, 2005, 11:21
i saw foghat a few years ago in a small bar near me.they were great.the bar ran out of beer and i started drinking mixed drinks like beer.i really do not remember much after that...... now i wished i just did not drink the mixed drinks.i guess that i will never see them again:(

W.E.G.
March 25, 2005, 12:34
Originally posted by garandguy10
i saw foghat a few years ago in a small bar near me.they were great.the bar ran out of beer and i started drinking mixed drinks like beer.i really do not remember much after that...... now i wished i just did not drink the mixed drinks.i guess that i will never see them again:(

The loss of a talented artist is always a sad moment.

But, in the case of music, the art lives on in the music. Learn a few of the tunes - even if only the basics on a harmonica. That is what the artist would have wanted. You know every time you knock out your version of the tune, the late artist is listening and thinking, "Cool man...solid."

And if you don't play, or don't want to play, there are lots of cover bands playing "boogie" tunes. Go check out a show. Its hard for me to stay wired until last call anymore. But, I saw Molly Hatchet in October. Danny Joe Brown died very recently. I think there was only one original member still in the band. They sure sounded good though. There is still plenty of time. Don't wait. See the show!

idsubgun
March 25, 2005, 13:31
I've got a 12 CD player under the back seat of my truck and the Foghat CD always stays in there. I just brought it in and am downloading it on my computer right now.

I'll be listening to Foghat on my new kickass computer speakers in a couple of minutes.

owlcreekok
March 25, 2005, 13:58
I'll be listening to Foghat on my new kickass computer speakers in a couple of minutes.

Thas' just wrong! :redface:

I been diggin all around this morning tryin' ta find any Foghat CD's. Got two out of kid's Porta-CD players, both scratched up. I wanna dink around with the Tab Gary posted and got no CD to help.:cry:

:rolleyes:

MACV
March 25, 2005, 15:05
Originally posted by Firestarter
Anyone remember the Savoy Brown blues band? It was Foghat's previous band name with the same lineup except the drummer. I have the cd "Looking In".

Didnt Savoy Brown put out a song called "Hellbound Train"? Great song.

HOTLEAD
March 25, 2005, 15:26
Yes, and Hellbound Train is a kickin song!

owlcreekok
March 25, 2005, 15:28
I remember discovering Savoy Brown after I had been listening to Foghat for a while. Liked Savoy better. That was surely the beginnings of finding out that I like blues, maybe more than any other genre'.

EMDII
March 25, 2005, 15:43
One of my all-time favorites!

RIP Rod, RIP.

Carp Killer
March 25, 2005, 22:19
I had the Foghat live album. A lot of memories.:biggrin: :whiskey: :devil:

jerrymrc
March 25, 2005, 22:37
I have all the albums including the "before they were foghat" IMO Rock and roll outlaws was the best. Just a damm shame we ALL are getting old. Saw them in Denver a few years ago just before dave died.:(