PDA

View Full Version : Dang'd Computers!!!

Bruce Allen
December 03, 2004, 06:01
Six days ago I turned on my home PC and it just self destructed!!!

As soon as I hit the power button I could hear sounds like Rice Crispies coming from the box - Snap, Crackle, Pop - and it even smoked slightly.

I could not turn it off quick enough.

Fried the motherboard, processer, video card, second hard drive and power supply.

I am guessing the hard drive failure some how spiked the system.. but just don't know.

Made me sick.. getting close to Christmas I don't need an unnecessary large bill.

On the bright side, one of my son's works for a local computer store.
I was able to get everything replaced and in fact upgraded to a better system at his employee price.
Everything was replaced for $160!!!
My son even kicked in for some of it as an early Chrismas present.

I had several components already on hand - like a kick-a$$ video acceleration card - that wouldn't even fit my old motherboard - from the same son who upgraded his system 6 months ago to a killer system that is tied into his large screen TV.. so that was no cost at all.

Also upgraded to Windows XP from 98 - which I loved because Windows 95 was sooo bad!!!

It all turned out not nearly as painful - money wise - as it could have been.
That's a good thing.

Da Nerd
December 03, 2004, 08:58
Early Christmas eh?
I had a similar thing happen a couple weeks ago,,altho I did not loose any hardware....but I did upgrade to WinXP and I also love it. Works much better than Win98.
Glad things turned out for the better for you.. enjoy.

Dave1
December 03, 2004, 09:02
That puff of smoke you saw WAS the magic smoke, without it, nothing in the electronics world will work. Hard to reinstall that smoke also. I often wondered who in the computer world installs magic smoke?? How do you get a job like that?? I have never seen an ad >> Wanted, magic smoke installer, must be able to perform voodoo magic, must be able to keep a secret, must own all necessary smoke installation tools.

hehehe

Dave

idsubgun
December 03, 2004, 09:55
I bought a new system a few months ago but didn't replace my monitor. Well, the monitor went out a couple weeks ago so I had to buy a new one of those as well.

What I want to do is take the old monitor to the desert, load up my 72 round drum for my M11/9 and blast the crap out of it, but I need to find someone with a digital camcorder 'cause I want to film it and show it on the Files as a bit of therapy for all of us. :]

lowprofile
December 03, 2004, 13:54
A fried motherboard is just nature's way of saying you were due for an upgrade.

John Culver
December 03, 2004, 18:02
What kind of processor got fried?

crazyk2758
December 03, 2004, 19:09
If you got smoke it was probably the power supply that fried. It sounds like your hard drive's platter threw a few bearings, started to eat itself, causing a short, frying the power supply because of the spike caused by the short, that fried everything else. Gotta love these cheapass HD's coming out nowadays. Let me guess, it was a Western Digital HD?

Bruce Allen
December 04, 2004, 09:14
Originally posted by crazyk2758
If you got smoke it was probably the power supply that fried. It sounds like your hard drive's platter threw a few bearings, started to eat itself, causing a short, frying the power supply because of the spike caused by the short, that fried everything else. Gotta love these cheapass HD's coming out nowadays. Let me guess, it was a Western Digital HD?
Yep, that is what I am guessing. I have already gotten rid of the hard drive, and do not remember the name, but it was not a name brand.. it was given to me by my low life son in law about 7 months ago.

The processor was a Pentium 3.
I now have one of the new AMD Sempron's

Yes, apparently mother nature did decide an upgrade was required!!

Bruce Allen
December 04, 2004, 09:15
Originally posted by idsubgun
What I want to do is take the old monitor to the desert, load up my 72 round drum for my M11/9 and blast the crap out of it, but I need to find someone with a digital camcorder 'cause I want to film it and show it on the Files as a bit of therapy for all of us. :]
I look forward to that!!!

idsubgun
December 04, 2004, 10:56
Originally posted by Bruce Allen

I look forward to that!!!

I can't find anyone I know with a digital camcorder. I'd like to own one, but can't justify buying one right now.

Hmmm, I wonder if anyone rents one?

vmtz
December 04, 2004, 11:03
Originally posted by idsubgun

I can't find anyone I know with a digital camcorder. I'd like to own one, but can't justify buying one right now.

Hmmm, I wonder if anyone rents one?

My digital camera take/makes Quicktime movies.

Vince