PDA

View Full Version : OT Honda engine work?

Michael64
May 25, 2004, 20:44
My 85 Accord just broke its timing belt and there is now question as to whether any of the valves where damaged.
Car has about 200k miles on it and was wondering how much it should reasonably cost to redo the valve train and if this is even practical? I would have to have someone do the work as I don't have the time or tools todo it myself.
Really can't afford to replace the car at this point so I'm kinda stuck.

knievel
May 25, 2004, 21:07
As a general rule, engines with a timing belts are "non-interference" engines, that being those whose valves and pistons cannot interact. On interference engines it is more common to use a timing chain. When the belt went, if it basically felt like the ignition was cut off you're fine. If it sounded like the hounds of hell were playing metallic drums under your hood, you will have problems. Any semi-competent mechanic can put a timing belt on for not too much money if its not wrecked. You might as well figure replacing the water pump too, as its going to be sitting there all exposed when they are ready to put the belt on.

Stg 58
May 25, 2004, 21:07
I think honda are what is refered to as an non interference engine. what this means is that if the timing belt snaps while it is running you are up crap creek. some toyotas are interference engines meaning that a broken timing belt all you do is replace it and you are on your merry way.

My aunt broke a timing belt on here 86 Civic and the dealer wanted 1500 to redo the head. they gave her 300 as trade and she bought a new car. my advice is to either get junk yard head and do it your self get 1500 dollar beater.

Gremper
May 25, 2004, 21:32
With a non-interference engine a broken belt will NOT result in engine damage. On other engines the pistons and valves will collide (interference) and will result in damage to the valves and probably to the pistons. Check with the Service Manager of your local Honda Dealer. He should be able to tell you which type your engine is. A compression test of each cylinder (with the engine and camshaft carefully rotated by hand) will also detect damage. If there is damage a replacement rebuilt engine is probably your best bet if (and only if) the remainder of the car is in good shape. Also agree with the waterpump replacement recommended by knievel if there is no other engine damage.

JDRoberts
May 25, 2004, 21:40
if it is a 1.6,1.8 or 2.0 litre,i believe it is an interference engine.......
PDF from Gates Belts (http://www.motorminute.com/Service/TimingBelts.pdf)
that is a list of engines that are considered interference from the GATES belt company.

Michael64
May 25, 2004, 22:03
Its a 1.8 engine and the shop that has it now has already told me that it is an interference setup.
However, it did just die and it didn't sound like the "hounds of hell" so hopefully its not too bad. I'll know in a day or two.

Archon
May 25, 2004, 22:09
Hello,

Some people in my club have had the misfortune of breaking timing belts on interference Honda engines (90-93 Acura Integra’s actually) and there was no valve to piston contact. The timing belt was replaced and all is well.

Stg 58
May 25, 2004, 22:33
Dang,had it reversed. Feel like a fool.LOL

Steggo
May 25, 2004, 22:56
I have to disagree on one point.

I had a 91 Acura Integra and replaced the timing belt at the 80K interval. Also did the water pump. 30K miles later I was having all done again because the new water pump failed.

I still own Hondas. I will not let the shop replace the original factory water pump with an aftermarket one at timing belt time. If it goes bad I'll pay for it then.

Your mileage may vary.

Gremper
May 26, 2004, 22:04
All depends on the relationship between the camshaft and crankshaft when the belt lets go (pure dumb luck). Incidentally, timing belts stretch well before they break which results in late valve/ignition timing. When I replaced the timing belt on my Daihatsu Rockey I could not believe the increase in performance!

Michael64
May 27, 2004, 19:02
Its official, the valve train is damaged.
The shop is wanting around $2k to replace the engine so I think I will call this totaled.
Time to start looking for a good used inexpensive car.