PDA

View Full Version : Turkey Season!

sparky
April 11, 2004, 11:46
Here's my first this year 9 1/2" beard almost 10" with 1" spurs and my son got a jake. Two more to go but it will be hard to beat.

splattermatic
April 11, 2004, 11:51
atta boy sparky !
way to go !
i have a week to go til our season opens :(
hope we do as good as last year and as well as you

Hunter
April 11, 2004, 11:53
Nice and you suck:)

I jumped one yesterday first thing goin in, heard 2 gobbles but that was it for the day.

Here in Va they are letting us do evenings this spring, hope it helps.

Good luck on the next 2.

sparky
April 12, 2004, 20:54
Good luck guys! We have alot of birds this year, they circled us all weekend.

tedbo
April 12, 2004, 21:25
Gee,if I could scan a photo I have a picture of my backyard that I took 3wks ago.I lost count at 88! I have never been a turkey hunter but I am now! The neighbor got one DRESSED OUT at 28lbs! The farmer 2 doors down raises some great chow for deer and turkey!And then they come visit me and the other neighbors!
Life is hard.:biggrin: Shoulda seen us Super Bowl Day-His turkey and my venison.tedbo

BattlePack
April 13, 2004, 07:41
Rainy and cold this week in southeast VA. We're gonna have to wait a few more days to get good hunting conditions.

biggun
April 13, 2004, 11:52
Way to go Sparky!! Hopefully I will be able to add to the pics Thursday. I've got my eye on a couple big toms that look just ready for the deepfryer.

tedbo
April 13, 2004, 14:22
That is a great turkey!Got any real good recipes?(By the way,my turn is coming to bag one.):biggrin: tedbo

Jon Frum
April 13, 2004, 21:39
I have been trying to get one! Seen a few!

P806
April 13, 2004, 22:01
NICE gobbler there!

Stu
April 14, 2004, 10:14
is it good to eat? ie compared to a store bought turkey? gamey? tender? curious...

Jon Frum
April 19, 2004, 21:27
How did you get this bird? We would like to hear.

sparky
April 20, 2004, 22:03
Almost called a gobbler and a bobcat in, for some reason the turkey left. Had a bobcat tackle a decoy once rolled with it and never looked back.

We stalked and crawled on the turkeys we got, hopefully they will respond to the call better this weekend.

Most of the turkey's we eat as nuggets deep fried, tastes like chicken.:wink:

Was cold and alittle wet in Elk City while we were hunting.

sparky
April 26, 2004, 21:22
Here's my son's second turkey, we almost walked right up on them they were where we were suppose to be. We got set up and I called him in for my son.

Hunted my butt off and missed two more chances talked to one for about a half an hour at about 30 Yds but he would not come around the bushes.

One weekend left.

Almost forgot he had nine beards some were small but nine total.

Jon Frum
April 26, 2004, 21:51
I saw one gobbler yesterday out of range and another two today that I was creeping up on. The damn birds will not sit still and let you shoot them. I crept within 60 yards but too far for a shot. I am going to have to get out the .50 muzzeloader!

cliffy109
April 27, 2004, 12:14
Originally posted by Stu
is it good to eat? ie compared to a store bought turkey? gamey? tender? curious...

In a word... Rich. Store bought birds have almost no flavor. Wild ones do. They are a bit stringy and the drumsticks are tough. Because there is almost no fat, you've got to douse it in butter several times while roasting. My ex-wife treated it just like a store bought one except she kept opening the oven to smear more butter on it. The results were out of this world. Totally different than store bought. I loved it.

cliffy109
April 27, 2004, 12:17
Originally posted by sparky

Almost forgot he had nine beards some were small but nine total.

Wow! Impressive. I'm going out on Thursday and hope I can just get one with any beard.

'TUDE
April 27, 2004, 13:13
Bagged my one allowed Tom (the one I'll admit to) Saturday in the rain. Three beards, the longest was 9 3/4", the other two were just sprigs.

Fine table fare if inclined to take the time and cook them properly. I ram a tall Foster's Beer up the rear of the bird, use a turkey syringe to pump the meat full of butter and spice , form a pan from heavy duty foil for the bird to sit in, and smoke away at 190 degrees using hickory.

Add a plate of sliced and fried mountain oysters, bacon grease fried poke salat, fried yeller squash, fried okra, red beans, and a pan of sweet corn bread....hoooweee...you'll be walking in tall cotton as long as you have the arteries to take it.