PDA

View Full Version : Dan'l Boone my hero.

martin35
March 31, 2004, 19:46
I will listen to no derogetory remarks of D. Boone. As a school boy he struck me as a honest man with a desire to support his famiily and seek out adventure and worthy of being called hero.
His end was as a old man of no personal wealth, having sold all to pay debts.
As I watched History Channel and recalled books read and movies watched. one of my favorite portrails was by Fess Parker ( who looked nothing like Boone ) Boone(Parker ) finished a school lesson of his son with the play acting admonishment "tomorra I will learn you your afix'n to's, your aint aggonas and your done dids" I was a young man when I saw that but it added to my memory of Boone. If it wasnt true it should have been.
We all have heros, he was one.

Sig220
March 31, 2004, 20:17
Daniel Boone, is the brother of my 6th great grand father. That and a .50 cents will get you a cup of coffee. Okay, a small cup!!:shades:

instr8
March 31, 2004, 20:25
Sig, I guess that we are akin then.

Rawles
March 31, 2004, 21:16
One of my direct ancestors, Michael Stoner came over the Cumberland Gap with Daniel Boone and helped to found Boonesboro. His name is on one of the monuments across from the present day fort, down by the river.

FIANNAFAL
March 31, 2004, 21:26
The Militia C.O. for Kentucky out of Boonesboro was a distant relative. Daugherty, do not recall first name.

fastfreddy
March 31, 2004, 21:49
he kilt a bar when he was three. He's alright with me.

Sig220
March 31, 2004, 22:35
instr8,
I wish I could remember the brother's name, for years, we thought we were directly related to Daniel himself, but my sister's research traced the lineage back to his brother. My paternal grandmother's maiden name was Medora Boone. That part of the family is from the Jena & Nebo, LA area (central). Which one might you be related to?

kwilal
March 31, 2004, 22:56
No great heroes or dead bears or Founding Fathers or Pollock tribes or anything like that in my family, just a short little immigrant man who left his family in 1921 and came to America seeking a better life, and thankful to the Daniel Boones and Davy Crocketts of this country who paved the way for him.
Ken

Teleplayer
March 31, 2004, 23:10
Daniel Boone was great, no doubt about that, but if you're looking for a one-man platoon, dyed-in-the-wool frontier fighter try Louis Wetzel (sp?)....

That guy was so good he was scary...

markm
March 31, 2004, 23:14
Originally posted by fastfreddy
he kilt a bar when he was three. He's alright with me.

Thats Davy Davy Crockett king of the wild frontier.

martin35
April 01, 2004, 13:57
Davy kilt'm with a loaded gator and when he touched'm off the gator blew his mind.

Sailor553
April 01, 2004, 16:17
Nope. That was Old Hickory. He said we could takem by surprise.

Ranman1942
April 01, 2004, 21:07
" If we didn't fire our muskets till we looked em on the eyes . "

" We fired our cannon till the barrel mounted down
So we found an alligator and we pulled another round
We filled his head with cannon balls and we powered his behind ....
And when touched the powder off
The gator lost his mind . "

I love Johnny Horton . Listened to him as a kid with my dad .

Personally I always liked George Armstrong Custer as a personel hero .

Temp
April 01, 2004, 21:15
Being a Kentuckian who frequently rides his motorcycle the short distance to Boonesboro,... and someone who has read a bit about Daniel Boone, I understand that Boone had a lot more in common with Henry David Thoreau than he did with Jeremiah Johnson.

Boone didn't want to conquer the wilderness,.... he wanted to join it,.. to be one with it.

martin35
April 01, 2004, 22:04
He seemed so down to earth he was easy to want to emulate for a kid, or old gizzer.