The FAL Files  

Go Back   The FAL Files > Weapons Discussion > Gunsmithing & Build It Yourself

Notices

Old December 27, 2002, 12:39   #1
ratas calientes
Registered

FALaholic #: 1841
OT: Which US made AK trigger group to install?

There are a couple of SAR-1 AK-47s in the family. Both assembled by Century. The US-made Century triggers on both are horrible. One had the distinctive trigger slap, and I did the recommended repair on both rifles. Went shooting in the cold yesterday. Even with the trigger slap repairs completed, the triggers seemed worse than ever - most likely made worse because of cold hands.

The question: There are two US-made non-adjustable AK trigger groups I have found that I can choose from. The first is made by Gordon Technologies, and is a double-hook design. The second is a single-hook design, referred to as the "AK variance design" , made by FSE. Is there any real difference between the two? Price is the same.

You opinions are welcome.

Ratas

Last edited by ratas calientes; December 27, 2002 at 12:41.
ratas calientes is online now   Reply With Quote
Old December 27, 2002, 13:37   #2
Doubleought
Registered

FALaholic #: 815
ratas,

I've heard good things about both, but the FSE set would be true "drop-in". You would need to cut an additional groove in the bottom of the receiver to accomodate the double-hook Gordon Tech. trigger.

While you're at it, check out Red Star Arms' FAL-style hammer/trigger pin retaining plate. It will make assembly/disassembly way easier! BANDIT sells them on his website.

Doubleought is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 27, 2002, 14:10   #3
idsubgun
"Comfortably Numb"
Bronze Contributor

FALaholic #: 3100
Yeah, I second the Red Star HTS.
Old December 27, 2002, 16:30   #4
flashx
Registered

FALaholic #: 3293
Ill triple the Red Star hts My buddy Tec-9 fixed me up with one and its slicker than snot on a door knob!!!
flashx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 27, 2002, 17:20   #5
ratas calientes
Registered

I put in Red Star Arms pin retaining plates a week ago into both rifles. What a relief that was. The one time I managed to put in the shephards hook, about a month ago, I almost went NUTS!!! So, I got that taken care of.

As for Red Star Arms H/T/S, I have only found their adjustable set - which I don't want - a little too much $$$ for my needs. Do they have a non-adjustable one? I can get the others (Gordon Technologies or FSE) from TAPCO for ~$40 ea.

Ratas
Old December 27, 2002, 17:40   #6
NewtoFals
Registered

FALaholic #: 6083
Talking

I put in the gordon tech dual hook in my mak90.
No trigger slap and nice crisp pull. Then again the original trigger had no trigger slap and a nice crisp pull.

No modification and the 'dropped' right in.
NewtoFals is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 27, 2002, 19:04   #7
madecov
Registered

FALaholic #: 6539
I have the FSE for my SAR 1
I purchased it from TAPCO, it has not been installed yet. I am not 100% on this but the SAR rifle's are all stamped receivers and use the single hook. The double hook are for the milled receivers like the Bulgarian SLR series of rifle's. I wanted to replace the trigger group in my SAR because of the horrible trigger slap. The FSE set is reasonably priced and if it is as good as the FAL trigger sets I'll be very happy.

I just felt that the Red Star set is a little overkill in a SAR that cost me under $300.00

$10.00 transfers in the Houston area.
madecov is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 27, 2002, 19:49   #8
Brian in MN
Registered

FALaholic #: 289
I have a Gordon Tech double hook in a Yugo. It is okay except that they, Gordon, took off too much metal to eliminate trigger slap and it is possible to push the selector too far up past "safe".

I was told by the vendor that I bought it from that Gordon makes both double and single hook sets and that they are not interchangable. I tried swapping around single and double sets and found this to be true.

I purchased my set from AK USA. They should have both double and single Gordon sets in stock for $39 delivered.

They also have unissued Russian 4 cell mag pouches for $15.

I bought a Romy .30 cal with an FSE set which had been installed by Century; (Thank the Lord for small miracles) it seems to work just fine though I have far less than 500 rounds through this rifle.
Brian in MN is online now   Reply With Quote
Old December 27, 2002, 19:51   #9
Brian in MN
Registered

FALaholic #: 289
Quote:
Originally posted by NewtoFals
I put in the gordon tech dual hook in my mak90.
No trigger slap and nice crisp pull. Then again the original trigger had no trigger slap and a nice crisp pull.

No modification and the 'dropped' right in.
Did your Mak 90 come with a double hook set?
Brian in MN is online now   Reply With Quote
Old December 27, 2002, 20:52   #10
NewtoFals
Registered

FALaholic #: 6083
Yes.....all chinese come with double hooks.
NewtoFals is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 28, 2002, 11:23   #11
Tec 9
Registered

FALaholic #: 1163
I've pretty much used every version on the market. The Red Star Arms one is by far the best value. All pieces are milled from bar and fully adjustable for a $30 premium over the cast/non-adjustable competitors. That $30 is money well spent. I like whatever is in the Robarms guns too...quite nice, but not adjustable or milled.

Warning: I work for them, but I didn't let that taint this review..they're the cat's meow!

FlashX: Glad you liked it!

take care,
Tec
Tec 9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 28, 2002, 13:06   #12
RS39
Registered

FALaholic #: 5655
You can get a good drop-in trigger set for half the price of the RSA set. But the RSA set is adjustable for pull weight, single or 2-stage, length of pull, and overtravel. You can't even get an AR trigger to do that at twice the price. And a cleaner trigger pull with a cleaner shot release will help your accuracy also (depending on how crappy yours is now).
I suggest starting with 1 RSA set and decide from there for the other AKs.
RS39 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 28, 2002, 14:28   #13
TnT2c71
Registered

FALaholic #: 7623
Get the Red Star Arms T/H/S. Easy to install and full functional.
TnT2c71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 28, 2002, 21:52   #14
ratas calientes
Registered

Thanks for all of the input folks. I just ordered one FSE set from a fellow FALer for a great price. I'll try it out and go from there.
Happy New Year -

Ratas
Old December 29, 2002, 09:59   #15
W.E.G.
FAL Files Administrator
Silver Contributor

FALaholic #: 1211
Indeed the Century h/t/s is horrid. It actually has a slap-snap. Two whacks per shot to the trigger finger. Which sucks for a rifle which should be a real fun bullet hose.

I ground on the part of the sear that caused the "slap." I think I eliminated the slap. But, it still has a hearty "snap" when the the sear re-sets.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg ak sear.jpg (20.0 KB, 1003 views)

Ask me about the Mason-Dixon FAL Collectors Association.
W.E.G. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 29, 2002, 12:42   #16
Princeton
Registered

FALaholic #: 7684
I had that horrible trigger slap with both my SAR-1 and SAR-2 rifles. I made the above mentioned fix. No trigger slap but the trigger still felt like crap.

Later on I saw the ad for the Red Star Arms trigger set and decided to give it a try in my SAR-2 and Wow what a difference it made. The trigger pull is absolutely incredible. Installing it right from the package its feel was very good but a bit of minor adjusting made it great. It has been totally reliable.
I immediately ordered a set for my SAR-1.
Princeton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 29, 2002, 22:44   #17
Doubleought
Registered

FALaholic #: 815
Quote:
Originally posted by gary.jeter
Indeed the Century h/t/s is horrid. It actually has a slap-snap. Two whacks per shot to the trigger finger. Which sucks for a rifle which should be a real fun bullet hose.

I ground on the part of the sear that caused the "slap." I think I eliminated the slap. But, it still has a hearty "snap" when the the sear re-sets.
Gary,
Red Star Arms sells a replacement disconnector spring that might help that problem. It's made by Wolff Gun Springs. Five bucks each! Maybe the Wolff spring will eliminate the "snap".

I did the same trigger-slap fix for my SAR-1, only I removed the entire hump from the back of the disconnector. No problems so far. I also polished things up and shortened the hook on the trigger, to eliminate most of the creep in the second stage. I can post some pics if anyone's curious.

Jeff
Doubleought is offline   Reply With Quote