The FAL Files  

Go Back   The FAL Files > Weapon Specific Forums > The FN Files

Notices

Old June 18, 2011, 00:43   #1
spider991
Registered

FALaholic #: 35820
dsa trigger

anyone got the DSA speed trigger? promises shorter, crisper and supposed to smooth it out and drop tp bout 4.5lbs, not sure if its worth it or not...

also got a bunch of mags from apex(pretty nice after clean-up) they are marked 2005-13-100-0225 on the base plates, no clue what this means, any clues?

Thanks,
Spider
spider991 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old June 18, 2011, 01:18   #2
Lee Carpentieri
Old Fart
Gold Contributor

FALaholic #: 4936
Nato Codes

2005-13-100-0225 Is the nato code for Germany and the mags they ordered for the G-1's. I think you did a typo with the 2005, Should read 1005-13-100-0225.
Old June 18, 2011, 08:16   #3
spider991
Registered

crap, ya you are right, its 1005- and thanks, interesting all the codes these rifles have, i am just more and more fascinated by these guns everyday..
Old June 19, 2011, 06:33   #4
ANTI-SEIZE
Registered

FALaholic #: 62751
I got the speed trigger option on my DSA tactical carbine. It is what they say it is. Much shorter pull, smooth and crisp. I studied what they did to achieve the shorter pull. They drilled and tapped a hole into the bottom of the receiver right under the tail of the trigger. With a set screw they are able to push the tail of the trigger up until it just barely touches the selector shaft when the selector is on safe. This takes a lot of travel out of the trigger. They also drill and tap the selector and install a set screw so the trigger can only be pulled so far when the selector is set to fire. I really don't think the latter is needed but I understand with liability issues. There are other ways to shorten the travel. Just study what is happening when you pull the trigger with the rifle on safe. If you could find something to attach to the lower ahead of the trigger you could adjust the trigger tail back/up until it just contacts the selector shaft when on safe. Other than that the trigger plunger spring is much softer/weaker than a standard. A falcon trigger pull reduction kit will do the same. Polish things up and you could come very close to DSA's job.
DSA only does the speed trigger on rifle builds.
ANTI-SEIZE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 19, 2011, 15:12   #5
spider991
Registered

great, thanks for the info on the trigger
Old June 19, 2011, 18:32   #6
ANTI-SEIZE
Registered

I want to correct myself regarding the set screw in selector shaft. It just didn't make sense they would need it for the speed trigger but not on a regular set up if it were a liability issue. ( I was thinking hammer follow ). Anyway all it is doing is limiting trigger travel after the hammer is released. Thus trigger travel is kept to an absolute minimum. Less trigger travel = more speed = speed trigger.
Trying to drill and tap the selector shaft for this set up is challenging and not absolutely needed. Removing the initial travel by installing a set screw in the lower or something ahead of the trigger were it meets the lower when it is released provides 95% of the benefit. Again the idea is to adjust the trigger so the tail just contacts the selector shaft when the selector is on safe. To see how much travel we are talking just put your rifle on safe and squeeze the trigger until it stops. The other major benefit is the lighter trigger plunger spring. However the other springs must be balanced out so I recommend Falcon's TPR kit.
Old July 03, 2011, 15:03   #7
Samtech79
Registered

FALaholic #: 63711
Got any photos of the set screws? Limiting the trigger travel seems like it would improve the feel of it a great deal.
Cheers
Old July 03, 2011, 19:05   #8
ANTI-SEIZE
Registered

Samtech79 PM me with your email and I will send you pics. I can't figure out how to post pics on the forum. I know I could do the photo bucket thing but I am an old fart when it comes to this "social networking" crap. I have to admit I am addicted to the internet and FAL's and the files.
Old July 03, 2011, 19:11   #9
Samtech79
Registered

I admire your candid honesty. If others are interested I'll figure out how to post them if others are interested.
PM sent.
Cheers
Old July 03, 2011, 21:28   #10
mongoose
Registered

FALaholic #: 3835
Please do post the pics!!!!

It does not require a majority to prevail but an irate tireless minority keen to set brush fires in people's minds!
Samuel Adams

"God is dead"...Nietzche
"Nietzche is dead"...God

"'Over the Mountains
Of the Moon,
Down the Valley of the Shadow,
Ride, boldly ride,'
The shade replied, -
'If you seek for Eldorado!'"...Poe
mongoose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 04, 2011, 00:07   #11
Samtech79
Registered

Anti-seize was kind enough to share these. Hope it tells the story for all.

Happy Independence day! Tracers yeah!