The FAL Files  

Go Back   The FAL Files > Weapon Specific Forums > The FN Files

Notices

Old November 27, 2009, 09:49   #1
tnwhip
Registered

FALaholic #: 38496
Reciever loose fit

My upper and lower reciever is a little loose fit. .020. I cut a piece of feeler gage and inserted it on top of the upper latch and it will lock up tight. What is the best way to fix it?. Weld the latch on the upper and file down?
Old November 27, 2009, 10:52   #2
newton3407
banned

FALaholic #: 39436
It could be the receiver to lower pivot pin is sloppy in the 2 holes in the lower that it passes through.

If the pivot pin is chewed up, it would make the fit of the receiver sloppy. Purchasing a new pivot pin is fairly inexpensive.

If the holes are walloed out, (technical term), then it becomes more difficult. Welding and reaming the holes would be in order but would require a skilled welder and a mill along with the proper dimensions to redrill and ream the holes.

If the pivot pin and holes are in good shape check that the locking body catch is in good order and has plenty of pressure on it. If it is in bad shape, then replacing that is fairly inexpensive too.

It could be that the locking body catch spring is weak, broke or bound up somehow. Tearing into this requires removing the butt stock. Use the proper tool, or a reasonable facsimile, for the return spring and wear safety glasses! I launched my return spring across the living room and almost ended all my cat's problems!

If there are no small parts like this to replace and fix the problem, then applying a small bead of weld on the receiver catch and filing to fit would work. Or the shim stock thing is fine. Since there is little chance of the shim stock falling out or getting into the action and causing mischeif, that seems like a good idea.
newton3407 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 27, 2009, 10:53   #3
Fleabus
Registered

FALaholic #: 10700
Latch Fit

Several things-
Buy new latch-Falcon Arms, DSA,...
Add metal and reshape to fit...
JB weld and fit...

In order of best to get by...
Just some suggestions...
Fleabus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 27, 2009, 11:19   #4
W.E.G.
FAL Files Administrator
Silver Contributor

FALaholic #: 1211
So you are saying you have clunk-clunk slop between your locking body and the locking lug on the receiver?

Ask me about the Mason-Dixon FAL Collectors Association.
W.E.G. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 27, 2009, 12:29   #5
Lee Carpentieri
Old Fart
Gold Contributor

FALaholic #: 4936
Upper to Lower lockup

Wait a minute, Who's upper receiver is it made buy? If your talking about like were WEG pointed out, You should try and replace the locking body catch. Unless the receiver is out of spec on the lug at the bottom lower backside of the receiver.
Old November 27, 2009, 13:14   #6
aezcur
El Argentino
Gold Contributor

FALaholic #: 49232
On the same subject...but I have a little different problem.
The Upper will fit tight on the lower but I can see that the Frame Lock lever doesn't return completely....looking at the lock latch I see it clamping the lug of the upper receiver just barely.....so I am thinking that I need to file the locking latch just a little to allow it to go further forward.....my upper is an Argie Type III that used to be installed on a British lower and the new lower is Argie Type III. I bought the complete Frame Lock Assy from Falcon Arms. Worst case I will ruin the Locking latch (just an $8 part).......
Question: is the Inch Frame lock latch different from the metric one?
Old November 27, 2009, 13:19   #7
gunnut1
Gold Contributor

FALaholic #: 1877
Quote:
Originally posted by aezcur
On the same subject...but I have a little different problem.
The Upper will fit tight on the lower but I can see that the Frame Lock lever doesn't return completely....looking at the lock latch I see it clamping the lug of the upper receiver just barely.....so I am thinking that I need to file the locking latch just a little to allow it to go further forward.....my upper is an Argie Type III that used to be installed on a British lower and the new lower is Argie Type III. I bought the complete Frame Lock Assy from Falcon Arms. Worst case I will ruin the Locking latch (just an $8 part).......
The locking mechanism is designed to wear. It is prefectly normal for the locking lever not to be straight. This is so that as the locking plunger wears, the lever will slowly move into the normal position.

As long as the upper and lower lock tight, you have no problem.

YMMV

The human race is not the pinnacle of evolution. We are but one evolutionary out come.
gunnut1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 27, 2009, 13:28   #8
W.E.G.
FAL Files Administrator
Silver Contributor

FALaholic #: 1211
Quote:
Originally posted by aezcur
Shouldn't be.

That doesn't mean you wont find variations from one piece to the next.

If it isn't "popping open" inadvertently, I wouldn't "fix" it.

Ask me about the Mason-Dixon FAL Collectors Association.
W.E.G. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 27, 2009, 13:52   #9
aezcur
El Argentino
Gold Contributor

FALaholic #: 49232
W.E.G. and gunnut1; Thank you for the advice!

tnwhip: I'm sorry it was not my intention to hijack your thread, we may want to swap locking latches?
Old November 27, 2009, 13:55   #10
Hebrew Battle Rifle
Horses Ass
Silver Contributor

FALaholic #: 5777
Quote:
Originally posted by newton3407

If the holes are wallowed out, (technical term), then it becomes more difficult. Welding and reaming the holes would be in order but would require a skilled welder and a mill along with the proper dimensions to redrill and ream the holes.

Welding would not be the best option. Over reaming the hole, pressing in a bushing, and then reaming to size would be the better choice.
Old November 27, 2009, 14:03   #11
jonnyo55
Registered

FALaholic #: 50448
I had the same problem; the upper receiver was not tight enough to draw down onto the lower receiver, which allowed lateral movement as well as up-and-down. In a proper fit, the overlap of the rear receivers is only, say, .04-.05 or so, so a little means a lot here. What I did was, after cleaning the two surfaces thoroughly with acetone, was epoxy an aluminum shim onto the top of the upper receiver locking lug, and the play is now gone. Alternatively, one could weld up and file down this area, but it is an area that receives little or no stress during firing and does not reciprocate...it basically just sits there until you open the receivers next, and if you trim the shim properly it should stay there forever. This rear-of-receiver issue is an entirely different one than the worn pivot pin one....
jonnyo55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 27, 2009, 17:14   #12
gunnut1
Gold Contributor

Quote:
Originally posted by newton3407
It could be the receiver to lower pivot pin is sloppy in the 2 holes in the lower that it passes through.

If the pivot pin is chewed up, it would make the fit of the receiver sloppy. Purchasing a new pivot pin is fairly inexpensive.

If the holes are walloed out, (technical term), then it becomes more difficult. Welding and reaming the holes would be in order but would require a skilled welder and a mill along with the proper dimensions to redrill and ream the holes.

If the pivot pin and holes are in good shape check that the locking body catch is in good order and has plenty of pressure on it. If it is in bad shape, then replacing that is fairly inexpensive too.

It could be that the locking body catch spring is weak, broke or bound up somehow. Tearing into this requires removing the butt stock. Use the proper tool, or a reasonable facsimile, for the return spring and wear safety glasses! I launched my return spring across the living room and almost ended all my cat's problems!

If there are no small parts like this to replace and fix the problem, then applying a small bead of weld on the receiver catch and filing to fit would work. Or the shim stock thing is fine. Since there is little chance of the shim stock falling out or getting into the action and causing mischeif, that seems like a good idea.
The pivot pin has nothing to do whit the receiver moving because the lower bosses are held captive but the upper mounting cuts. The pivot pin is designed only to keep the upper and lower together. You cannot tighten it enough to make any difference in the "wobble" of the upper. Get your FAL and leaving the upper and lower mated. Remove the pivot pin and see what happens.

The human race is not the pinnacle of evolution. We are but one evolutionary out come.
Old November 27, 2009, 21:53   #13
tnwhip
Registered

FALaholic #: 38496
W.E.G. It is a new Intreprise type III . Yes clunk-clunk slop between my locking body and the locking lug on the receiver? The shim I put on top of the upper lug makes it tight . I just have to be carefull when I break it down and not lose it. I tried to super glue the shim but it did not stick.
Old November 27, 2009, 22:07   #14
garandguy10
Registered

FALaholic #: 10840
I know Inch pattern locking bodies were made in different sizes/angles just for this problem, also to adjust the locking body lever position. Some parts swapping would likely repair your problem.
garandguy10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 28, 2009, 01:49   #15
FUUN063
Registered

FALaholic #: 35576
Just thinking outside the box here, guys, but couldn't you just remove the breakdown lever and its accompanying parts, along with buttstock. Then, check to see if the spring is very stiff or all jacked up (technical term as well). At this point, take a small file and remove (ever so slightly) a small smount of metal at the rear of the locking latch capturing groove (this is the area that the lever pin engages the locking body). This will allow the locking latch to move forward, relative to the amount of metal removed, and then engage the upper latch more. This is an easy way to approach it, no parts are ruined, no welding required (which is my favorite way of fixing things), the owner does not have to have a lot of tools or expertise and it's just plain fun!

Leland

PS Hey, Newton, I think it depends on which life ur cat's on, as far as his problems go!
FUUN063 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old November 29, 2009, 13:19   #16
gunnut1
Gold Contributor

OK the fog does clear once in a while.

Remove the stock and all of the locking mechanism. Close the upper to the lower and reinstall the locking lug but with out the springs and plunger. Take a small tool and gently push the locking lug forward until it stops. See if the lower receiver is loose to the upper. If it is tight, then the problem may be the spring. I did have once instance where the locking lug spring was a might too small and it was cause the locking lug to drag and not lock up properly.

Just my .02 worth!