The FAL Files  

Go Back   The FAL Files > Weapons Discussion > Ammunition

Notices

Old September 14, 2009, 15:56   #1
gobbler
Registered

FALaholic #: 44154
Rio shotshell reloading

Anyone know if & how Rio shotgun ammo is to reload? 16 guage in particular...
gobbler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 14, 2009, 20:56   #2
chromestarhustler
Registered

FALaholic #: 19815
almost without exception you can not reload shotgun shells cheaper than new especially for skeet and trap.

i am a member of the ammo hoarders of america, ask me about selling your ammo for my fun and your profit
chromestarhustler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 14, 2009, 21:03   #3
gobbler
Registered

FALaholic #: 44154
A friend has a 16 and is having hard time finding 16 ga shells & is wanting to get set up to be self sufficient on the ammo. I have found him a couple cases of Rio, someone told him they weren't reloadable & I wasn't sure. I told him for $10 a box, he could not do much better reguardless.
gobbler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 16, 2009, 10:15   #4
gkw
Registered

FALaholic #: 3456
I can't fathom why they would not be reloadable.
You will probably have to work up your own loads as those shells may not be in the reloading manuals. But shotguns are not high pressure rounds, so that should be easy and safe.
I haven't reloaded shells since the price of ammo and components went crazy, but I have to believe you can do it for significantly less than $10/box.
Now reloading 12 and 20 for less than you can buy the cheap game/target shells is another story.
Old September 16, 2009, 14:57   #5
onebigelf
Registered

FALaholic #: 32682
birdshot is cheaper to buy than reload. Slugs, buckshot, and specialty ammo are the only things worth reloading.

John
onebigelf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 17, 2009, 11:30   #6
legion489
Registered

FALaholic #: 6297
Since my Lyman Shotshell Reloading manual lists Rio shotshell data, my guess would be they are reloadable. Not having any to try, I can only rely on Lyman knowing what they are talking about.
legion489 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 18, 2009, 22:15   #7
shootist87122
Registered

FALaholic #: 7202
Rio and most other "Euro trash" hulls are OK to reload, but unless you have a bunch it may not be worth the effort. Use the data for Cheddite hulls. You will need a European primer (Fiocchi or Rio) as the primer pocket is a tad too large for a good fit with US primers.

A very good range pickup hulls is the Remington Sport or Rem Gun Club. I even reload the Federal/Estate (paper basewad) hulls, but only once.

Edit - Above comments are general - my experience with Euro Trash hulls is 12ga only. 16ga gets a little dicey due to the limited availability of wads. There is a 16 gauge society on the web with lots of experienced 16 ga reloaders. Google 'em up.

FWIW, my cost to reload 1 Oz 12ga is about $4.25/box, but I buy ieverything n bulk. 16ga should be similar or at least under $5.00/box. No one scrounges hulls like a high volume 16ga shooter (except us guys that also load 28ga).
said, when he saw the fashion of the shaft,
it is by our own feathers, not others hands,
are we now smitten."
-Aeschylus

Last edited by shootist87122; September 18, 2009 at 22:54.
shootist87122 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 18, 2009, 22:31   #8
doubletap
Registered

FALaholic #: 1426
I've been buying Winchester 16 bore loads, at K-mart for $8.99. They have both 8's and 6's for shot size. They are 2 1/2 dram 1 oz. loads but pattern fine out of my three 16's and work well on dove and sharptails. I've seen similar Estate stuff for $7.99 a box. For the full 1 1/8 oz stuff I usually end up paying about $11.00, which you MAY be able to reload for cheaper, but for the half dozen boxes I burn a year after pheasant and sharptails and doves, it hardly pays to reload. Now my buck loads, that's another story.
doubletap is offline   Reply With Quote