The FAL Files  

Go Back   The FAL Files > Weapons Discussion > Gunsmithing & Build It Yourself

Notices

Old February 23, 2005, 22:54   #1
teethdoc
Registered

FALaholic #: 16596
PAC Imbel

This may be a question of ignorance, but anybody know anything about the Imbel Gear Receivers imported by PAC?
teethdoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 23, 2005, 23:14   #2
Dick S
Registered

FALaholic #: 10846
Imbel quality...no CIA logo...PAC instead. You will probably have to relieve the barrel shoulder and breech face a little to get it to time without bottoming out on the receiver. Got mine from Dealers Warehouse. Good parkerizing as well.
Old February 23, 2005, 23:28   #3
randyj
Registered

FALaholic #: 14923
i just picked one up last week. my brand new imbel barrel bottoms out, times to 10 but thats with it botomming. im tring to figure the best way to fix this

randy
randyj is online now   Reply With Quote
Old February 24, 2005, 01:15   #4
ftierson
Registered

FALaholic #: 13827
I just used a DW PAC marked Imbel receiver on the StG-58 kit that I received from Gunthings.com. The barrel didn't bottom out, and the barrel indexed to about 10:45/10:50. I just turned it on. It came out perfect and the rifle shoots like a dream (with warm handguards).

This is the second PAC marked Imbel that I have used personally, and I see no difference between them and the CAI marked Imbels that I have also used. I have another PAC one on order at TDW.

I hope that it comes soon.

(It worked for Dorothy. Of course, I have no ruby slippers, and I wouldn't admit it even if I did...)
ftierson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 24, 2005, 03:18   #5
icormba
Registered

FALaholic #: 16288
My FFL told me that the Pacific Armament Co.? (PAC?) is the same company as TDW? our local group had 2 group buys about a year ago... 1 from FAC when they found out the FAC Imbels were marked PAC... they decided to order the 2nd group buy direct from TDW because they were the same company, local, and cheaper?

TWD has been out since Dec. so I got mine from FAC, but it was marked CAI... timed to about 10-10:15, hand lapped it for about 10 minutes and fit/timed perfect with about 140lbs of torque.

lets see... # of acronyms used... FFL, PAC, TDW, CAI, lbs... ha!

edit: ah ha! correction from the source! FAC never carried PAC marked Imbels, thanks for the info Harlan

Last edited by icormba; February 24, 2005 at 15:59.
icormba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 24, 2005, 12:28   #6
izaakb
Registered

FALaholic #: 14913
I got a PAC Imbel "gear" receiver and my build went together just fine. ZERO problems.

"Praemonitus pramunitus!"

"A well-schooled electorate, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and read Books, shall not be infringed."

I am a Jewish carpenter.
izaakb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 24, 2005, 20:12   #7
Dick S
Registered

FALaholic #: 10846
izaakb, just for kicks which barrel did you use?

randyj, I use a small triangular file to take the shoulder down a little at a time. I mark with majik marker and remove the ink all the way around and check timing again. I use a feeler gauge to check how much I take off by seeing how far the breech face is off the receiver. When I get close I see if I am bottoming on the breech face and usually with a R1 Imbel barrel I have to take a .001 or so off the breech face with a big flat file. Has worked on two R1's so far. I just don't have the face cutter tool or have enough patience for the sanding wheel deal that Bandit recommends in his build documentation.
Old February 25, 2005, 08:57   #8
izaakb
Registered

FALaholic #: 14913
Quote:
Originally posted by Dick S
izaakb, just for kicks which barrel did you use?
I used a new Imbel barrel. I sanded about 0.002 from the barrel shoulder to make it time to 11 o'clock. The threads were tight.

Maybe the combination is the "right" fit.

I also had a new Argy barrel which screwed right up to 11 o'clock.

izaak

"Praemonitus pramunitus!"

"A well-schooled electorate, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and read Books, shall not be infringed."

I am a Jewish carpenter.
izaakb is offline   Reply With Quote