The FAL Files  

Go Back   The FAL Files > General Information > Reference and Data Section: a FAL FAQs and Library

Notices

Old September 30, 2003, 06:26   #1
NZ L1A1 Collector
Moderator & Collectaholic

FALaholic #: 45
Survey of FAL magazines for markings

You can blame shadow walker for this request it was his post that has sparked my interest in figuring out markings/versions/types of FAL magazines.

It should be noted that there are two types of side tabs that are folded on the bottom of the case to hold the base plate on. At first I thought this was an indication of FN verse non FN made magazines. It's not, since obtaining a Troop Trials rifle magazine made by FN in 1954 which has the narrow, straight sided tabs it has blown my theory out of the water. I now have to try and figure out when this change over took place.

1 and 2 have the straight version
3 and 4 have the wide tapered version

It appears that at a later stage these tabs were change to a wider version with a taper (most likely because they retain the base plate better and are more resistant to damage).

With some South African contract mags they have a date stamped on them like in the pic that LarryR posted

M-inside-a-U (ground off) for service in Rhodesia
R-C
5-63 (South African made) for service in Rhodesia

M-inside-a-U (possible removed)
4-69 (South African made)

7000 (South African made)

Since I don't have any of these mags and to do a survey correctly you need 100's of examples I need your help. Those of you who have these magazines whether it be 1 or 100's of mags stashed away could you please have a look and post and markings / dates that you find stamped on the magazine and if you know the country of origin of the magazine.

Country of Origin (If Known):

Markings:

Type of bottom tabs Straight or wide/tapered

Thanx for looking and lets see what we can work out about your magazines.

Last edited by NZ L1A1 Collector; October 14, 2014 at 23:01.
NZ L1A1 Collector is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 30, 2003, 11:01   #2
EMDII
Evil Moderator

Silver Contributor

FALaholic #: 6
Jeez Kevin! I'm going to have to look at over 100 magazines!

FWIW-
My South African (?) 30x has a 'type 3' body, but the baseplate dimples are quite triangular and go all the way to the edge. IE, they are not inset at all, and the pull-ring at the back edge is type 4 in shape.

No markings to substantiate CoI.

E.M. (Ted) Dannemiller II
1*
EMDII is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 30, 2003, 20:37   #3
M2A2
Registered

FALaholic #: 7544
I just did a mag cleaning session and I have a 7000 mag. what is so cool about it that it front beek or tit is brazed sold very heavy duty.
M2A2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 30, 2003, 23:51   #4
7idl
Registered

FALaholic #: 5129
I have 50/50 type 3 and type 4 bottoms.

the newer ones I have are the 3's

the 3's also have three holes in the backs for viewing cartridges

there are no markings on any of my mags (they are all metric btw)

origin unknown to me.
Old October 01, 2003, 00:23   #5
NZ L1A1 Collector

EMDII, that's the sprint.... you probably need to pull them all out and check and re-oil them anyway

I've been doing some research into the mags and I have some bad news for you... you know that Libya mag you have I believe it isn't I was looking closely at the Metric rifle were they show the mad and the one they show has a Inch front lug on it. and external floor plate...... check out the pic. I however believe its possible the mag might of come from a SA country? what are your thoughts?

M2A2, Sounds like an interesting mod and probably done at unit level to strengthen the beak.

7idl, it's commonly recognised that the mags with the 'witness' holes are StG58 magazines. there should be some small stamps (inspection stamps) on the magazine case that are oval with a number inside it.

Any more mags out there.............. there has to be a few more owners will to share and learn
Old October 01, 2003, 04:09   #6
Peter Wells
Registered

FALaholic #: 3949
Kevin, would you like a sprinkling of SA marked 20rd mags (contract and local mnfr) for the collection? I can pull out a few specimens and get them off to you.

In the meantime, Chris Bara has recently posted some mag pics on the bottom of the FAL SIG page (click on Links and then on SIGs at bottom of page) of the SAAACA site (www.saaaca.org.za). May be of some help.

Last edited by Peter Wells; October 01, 2003 at 04:31.
Peter Wells is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 01, 2003, 17:45   #7
NZ L1A1 Collector

Hi Peter, THANK YOU for you offer I will have to send you a email

The SITE is very interesting and I find the magazine intriguing as on the top row are L1A1 type magazines (like EMDII's) with the FN Beak but they are listed as being all Aluminium from the ANC!!!! very, very interesting indeed.

There are certainly some well marked SA mags such as the M-inside-a-U.

so lets see......... for the SA markings there are:-

Just a Date stamp eg. 5-63

R-C
(date)

M-inside-a-U
R-C
(date)

M-inside-a-U

Keep the info coming.

It's possible EMDII your mag might be a steel mag from ANC?
Old October 01, 2003, 17:55   #8
NZ L1A1 Collector

Having another look at LarryR's picture ........ I believe that the M-inside-a-U
on the first magazine has been grinded off........ see the grind marks where the MU should be above the R - C. It's possible that is why there are the hammer blows on the second mag to deface the MU.

Just a theory.
Old October 01, 2003, 20:35   #9
mr fixit
Registered

FALaholic #: 5663
Please don't think little of me for the small number of mags I have, but here it is:
All of these are metric
First type: metric, no witness holes
Country of Origin (If Known):UNKNOWN

Markings:none found,

Type of bottom tabs Straight or wide/tapered: Straight

Second type: metric, with three holes in rear
Country of Origin (If Known):UNKNOWN

Markings:under the tab on front of mag isstamped a number in a circle, the numbers I have are; 5,29,10,4,6,19, I have some duplicits of numbers

Type of bottom tabs Straight or wide/tapered: wide tapered

HTH

A finely crafted weapon is a joy to see and own, no matter what it's age.

"Every man is responsible for defending every woman and every child. When the male no longer takes this role, when he no longer has the courage or feels the moral responsibility, then that society will no longer be a society where honor and virtue are esteemed. Laws and government cannot replace this personal caring and commitment. In the absence of the Warrior protector, the only way that a government can protect a society is to remove the freedom of the people. And the sons and daughters of lions become sheep."

-James Williams

"It's a new breed," Keeton said. "They're urban raccoons, and they're not afraid."
mr fixit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 01, 2003, 21:11   #10
NZ L1A1 Collector

mr fixit, THANX you for taking the time to look at your mags, I don't mind if you have 1 or 100 mags so long as your willing to take the time and have a look and share what you find.

I'll start with the easy magazines first:-

"metric, with three holes in rear

Markings:under the tab on front of mag is stamped a number in a circle, the numbers I have are; 5,29,10,4,6,19, I have some duplicits of numbers

wide tapered

These are Austrian made StG58 FAL magazines.

The first lot you listed are from an early batch, I'm trying to figure out the transition date when FN stopped making mages with the Straight tabs and changed to the wide.

The change over has to be before 1963 as the earliest mag in LarryR's pic is dated 1963.

I need those people who have brought NIW magazines which have a date printed on the packaging to have a look at them. Especially at magazines dated around 1958 - 1960 What date/Tab version do you have. HELP PLEASE
Old October 02, 2003, 03:14   #11
Peter Wells
Registered

FALaholic #: 3949
Kevin, I would suppose that the mags with the U/m ground off were amongst those sent to Rhodesia with the rifles. We would probably have sent mags on a scale of about seven (one fitted and six reserve) per rifle as Rhodesia had no manufacturing capacity for mags.

They got both FN made SA Contract rifles (with SA crest milled out) and R1s from us and, for obvious reasons, both parties wanted to disguise their origins - half-heartedly I must admit.

Not sure if the grinding/milling was done in SA before departure or on receipt in Rhodesia.
Peter Wells is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 02, 2003, 12:02   #12
EMDII
Evil Moderator

Silver Contributor

Some of my Variants (I'm going to haunt you Kevin!)

Metrics:
- Hybrid w/Metric beak, blue follower, Inch-pattern base, marked vertically "ST 09773" on RS near bottom
- Hybrid (yes I have two) w/ metric beak, parked follower, Inch-pattern base, NO markings
(BOTH hybrids are steel, BTW)
- EX-1 w/ white stripe, white follower, Type 1 base, FN inspector "4" in small box on back edge near bottom
- EX-1 w/ white stripe, parked follower, Type 1 base, FN 4-in-box AND extra FN inspector "3" in small squares on back edge near bottom
(both of these magazines have provenance to Canada)
- StG w/ witness holes, parked follower, Type 4 base, SDP inspector "24" in small oval on front just below beak (minor variants of StG, all have 3x witness holes)
- Aluminium (5) 20x mags, blue follower, mix of Type 3 or 4 base, FN inspectors' marks except one, which has Y on back near lower edge, "Nowak" hand -scratched on body LS. One of these is unused.
- Several Israeli, mix of parked (Mn or Zn) bodies, some w/ date and IDF mark (e.g. 80YN- where YN is the Hebrew marking), some just YN-in-oval on lower LS back corner of body, mix of Type 1 and Type 3 base
- some VERY smooth plain-janes, blue follower, Type 4 bases, large "O" marking on back (not FN-in-square)
- plain jane, park-over-blue follower, oval insapector mark w/ no internal stamp, and another "4" just below it on the back side. In spite of the oval inspector's mark, NO witness holes.
- German, NATO SN Type 2 base, blue follower, "X" inspector's mark (no box) is typical: hecho vom Deutschelande?

WooHoo! That's a start!

1*
Old October 02, 2003, 19:33   #13
NZ L1A1 Collector

Peter I would hazard a guess that the markings were removed in SA, it would be a rather embarrassing if on route to Rhodesia the truck was stopped and searched and found to contain a heap of SA made weapons! But that is only a guess, you need to hunt down someone who was high up in the Defence force who knows something about these 'deals' and see if our theories are true.

THANX EMDII for both checking your mags and topping this thread.

Something fir you to check........ possibly something you haven't noticed yet. If you check the back of the EX.1 magazines and compare it to other FAL TYPE 1 and TYPE 2 cases you will notice some things are different.

Firstly, there won't be a horizontal 'stake' in the back of the EX. 1 case...... (is there one?.. no )

Secondly, the TYPE 1 case (straight side tabs) has only one horizontal 'stake' at 71mm from the bottom of the case.

Thirdly, The TYPE 2 case (wide / taper) will have two horizontal 'stakes', one at 76mm from the bottom of the case and the other is at the top fold above the locking point of the magazine catch.

I have also Just noted that the 2 main types of base plates and that these have specific magazine cases that they should be with.

TYPE 1 base plate should be used on the TYPE 1 Case, why? look at the reinforcing stamp on the base plate it is wide and is designed to be used with the straight tabs. eg. 1 & 2 in my pic.

TYPE 2 base plate should be used on the TYPE 2 Case, why? look at the reinforcing stamp on the base plate it is narrower and is designed to be used with the wide / taper tabs. eg. 4 in my pic.

No. 3 in the pic is a TYPE 2 case and a TYPE 1 base plate. Note how the wide / taper overlaps the reinforcing stamp of the base plate.

Please note, that all the components are interchangeable, just that in terms of 'correctness' I have pointed out these features. (ok I'm anal and have no life)
Old October 03, 2003, 18:57   #14
EMDII
Evil Moderator

Silver Contributor

Not a single staking in sight, FN inspectors' marks (both have 4-in-box, on has another strike from 3-in-box, no 7s), and solid white stripes (a bit worn) 85mm from and parallel to the top edge of the box.

Follower's "heel" has an opening, contrary to that of other followers I've seen!

Many thanks to a friend.

1*
Old October 03, 2003, 20:41   #15
idsubgun
"Comfortably Numb"
Bronze Contributor

FALaholic #: 3100
Another mark I found, and I'm not sure if this was mentioned already, is a number inside a square "U" on the back of the mag. One from a box marked 1/64 had a backwards 3, others have a 4 inside the U (not backwards). These are the NIW Belgiums. These markings are below the spot weld near the bottom.
I have two other boxes marked with '63 dates, but don't really want to open them as yet.
I'll pull all my mags and give them the once over, but it will take some time.

OBTW, these are the tapered ones. Also, at a quick glance, but not confirmed, is that tapered ones have the baseplate with the small extension around the hole on the end. Like your mag #4. I haven't gone through all of them yet to see if this is a pattern. I see your mag #3 has no extension around the hole on the baseplate.

EDIT: Just found another with the number 6, no "U", has straight tabs. No other markings, but appears to be FN. Also, it's parked.

Israeli mags:

I'll start with these as they were in the four stacks I picked first. These are in no order as to date of manufacture.

First style
Parked.
Straight tabs.
No baseplate extension.
Two takedown holes in baseplate.
Standard Hebrew markings with "oval" around them on side.
No holes on back of follower.
No notch on mag catch.

Second style
Same except:
Blued.
Two holes on back of follower.
Notched mag catch.

Third style (later Izzy's?)
Painted black.
Same markings.
Notched mag catch.
Holes on followers.

Fourth style
Parked.
No holes on follower.
No notch on mag catch.
Straight tabs.
Has usual Hebrew markings, but no "oval" around them and has the number "80" in front of markings.

Last edited by idsubgun; October 03, 2003 at 21:31.
idsubgun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 03, 2003, 21:13   #16
EMDII
Evil Moderator

Silver Contributor

I wonder how many inspectors FN had?

1*
Old October 03, 2003, 23:08   #17
NZ L1A1 Collector

idsubgun, thanx for looking at your mags. What I really need is some NIW mag that are dated circa 1958 - 1960 to see when they changed to the TYPE 2 Case and base plate. If you find some marked as such could you open them and save the later dated ones as they will be the TYPE 2.

This pic is from another tread I started about the different followers I have found so far. Ted you will notice the X8E1 mag looks the same as your EX.1 mags.

Note on #4 that the rear of the follower has a different design similar to the X8E1 design. This is probably from a very early (1955) Israeli magazine. As this feature was later changed to the stronger FN/British design.

FAL Followers

1. 1954 X8E1 British trials rifle magazine follower
2. Standard FAL magazine follower
3. German G1 FAL magazine follower
4. Israeli FAL magazine follower

Last edited by NZ L1A1 Collector; October 14, 2014 at 23:02.
Old October 04, 2003, 22:18   #18
jim west
Registered

FALaholic #: 10387
I went through a case of fifty Israeli mags,all except four are more or less the same as idsubgun's post. The four mags look like FN mags,no markings at all except a L stamped just below the bottom brazing.I can't seem to find the other case.
jim west is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 23, 2003, 08:04   #19
EMDII
Evil Moderator

Silver Contributor

Canadian and Australian variations:

FWIW, I've got several of those NIW Inch mags, and they have no 'British' markings (NATO p/n on body). The stay-dry pouch is marked w/ the following p/n:
1005-21-150-5286

where a British case would have this marking:
1005-99-960-2043

So I obviously have something different.
Body: The body is parkerized.
Front Lug: Rectangular. The front lug is definitely 11/16" long, and 7/16" wide.
Body: It has a small indent ( I presume this is for access to the take-down hole in the lower plate) at the back/bottom edge.
Finish: Parkerized
Date of Manufacture: May 1960 (imprinted on box)
Other data:
Centered 3/4" up from the back/lower edge is a VERY round circle imprint (1/8"), a welding/assembly hole as best I can determine. A similar circle is 5/16" below the follower opening on the back plate.
The rib has two indents, one at 1-1/8" and the other at 3-3/8" up from bottom. These are reinforces IMO.

These appear to be C1 magazines.

Canadian Magazines (manufacturing details)
There are two Canadian 20 round magazines, the first was called the ‘C1’ magazine, which was superseded in 1961 by the ‘C1A1’ magazine.

C1 Magazine (1956 - 1961 approximately)
Markings: Devoid of any markings
Finish: Phosphated.
Manufacturing differences;
Front Lug: 17.4 x 6.4 mm (rectangular section).
Top inside edge: Chamfered edge.
Follower: Bright steel (not phosphated)
C1 Case: Has a small indent at the bottom rear of the case just like ‘metric’ magazines.
Bottom Plate: Has 3 ribs on the reinforcing section and two dimples at the rear of the plate to hold the plate on like with a metric bottom plate

C1A1 Magazine (1961 onwards)
Markings: Devoid of any markings
Finish: Phosphated.
Manufacturing differences;
Front Lug: 17.4 x 6.4 mm (rectangular section).
Top inside edge: Chamfered edge.
Follower: Bright steel (not phosphated).
C1A1 Case: Looks externally like the Australian and British L1A1 cases.
Bottom Plate: Looks like the Australian and British L1A1 bottom plates.

Australian Magazines
Markings: Australian Magazines are devoid of any markings.
Finish: Phosphated over-coated with satin black paint(sometimes referred to as SunKorite)
Manufacturing differences:
Front Lug: 19 x 6.5 mm (rectangular section).
Top inside edge: Squared edge.
Follower: Phosphated

(kiind thanks to Kevin in NZ for many details)

1*
Old November 23, 2003, 08:11   #20
EMDII
Evil Moderator

Silver Contributor

An Inch magazine that 'appears' Australian, but is Sunkorited:
- 3/4" (19mm) x 7/16"lug
- top/inside at front lug is squared, not chamfered
- no body markings or follower (platform) markings
- platform appears blued, or else the metal was VERY smooth before parkerizing
- assembly hole in back plate is 3/32", smaller than the 1/8" holes in the Canadian bodies

1*
Old November 23, 2003, 19:14   #21
EMDII
Evil Moderator

Silver Contributor

ID: hybrid magazine provenance (to be MERGED)

Well, finally got one of the Tapco hybrid mags down into component parts.
- Body: no marks
- platform/Follower: no marks
- retainer, platform spring: no marks
- plate, bottom: big 9-16" 'BR' on outside and lo and behold
- Front lug WAS a large British (9/19" x 7/16"), removed and replaced w/ a Metric 'beak'

INSIDE of bottom plate
- E-in-D Enfield cartouche
- 60 (year of manufactire)
- 9602044 NATO p/n (in very tiny font! )

Mystery mag solved!

1*
Old November 24, 2003, 17:54   #22
P806
Registered

FALaholic #: 8348
Some metric aluminum markings:

Last edited by P806; November 24, 2003 at 18:00.
P806 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 24, 2003, 17:56   #23
P806
Registered

Old November 24, 2003, 18:06   #24
P806
Registered

STG mags:

Old November 24, 2003, 18:09   #25
P806
Registered

Hybrid, parked....W or M?
Old November 24, 2003, 19:32   #26
Jambo
Registered

FALaholic #: 9707
4 metric magazines:

2 type #2's (both from Tulsa Gun Show last April) $3 or $4
1 has a floor plate with exact same numbers as in the picture, has a "3" inside a circle, and the follower is a little different. It doesn't have the tabs that hold it onto the magazine spring and the tab that catches the bolt hold open is a simple "L" shaped protrusion, instead of the ledge-type tabs on other followers (Type 4 follower). There is also an unidentifiable marking on the back of the magazine at the bottom.

The other one has a blank follower, and on the back of the magazine body around the bottom there's an upside-down "M" with an under line. There is also an unidentifiable marking on the back, at the bottom. It almost looks like a lower case "g" on its side. Looking at it upside-downupside-down: I think it's a "6" inside an upside down "U". Next to it is what I think is an "A" inside a circle, on its side. The faded circle and faded upside-down scrunched together make it look like a "g" on its side. And it has a Type 2 follower

2 type #4's (both from Tapco)
Both magazines have no visible markings on either the floorplates or the bodies, except one; on the back, around the bottom, it has a stamped circle with some illegible squigley scratches inside. It's probably nothing. Both magazines have Type 2 followers.

Last edited by Jambo; November 24, 2003 at 23:41.
Jambo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 24, 2003, 22:31   #27
Steelcore_7.62
Registered

FALaholic #: 6617
Kevin,
here is are some variations that I found in my 20 rd. mags:

3-pack of aluminum, wrapped in manila type yellow paper with matching gummed manila tape. No markings on the paper. Followers are like the type 3, but have the "step" at the back like #1 and #4 have. Followers are bare aluminum. The bodies are proof marked at bottom front with an underlined "P" and the "square "U" with an "o" inside. These are painted flat gray, not semi-gloss gray like most Belgian Army surplus parts. These also have a small punch mark, like a hardness test under their smaller size beaks, one of the three has two such marks side-by-side. Bases are type 3. These are from Belgium. I had been waiting for an excuse to look inside this pack, since they were bought sight unseen.

Not able to find any proofs on my NIW steel Belgian mags. These are the standard type 2 blued follower and type 4 base plate. Came in clear plastic 5-packs. Black paint is pretty thick so the proofs could possibly be hidden by it.

No proofs on the typical NIW aluminum Belgies either. Same plastic 5-packs of black painted mags. These have the type 2 black anodized aluminum follower but have the "step" like the type 1 and 4. Type 3 base plates.

Wish my digicam took macro shots, but hopefully this info is of help.

Cheers,
Darrell
Old November 25, 2003, 03:07   #28
EMDII
Evil Moderator

Silver Contributor

Those magazines w/ oval inspectors' marks are most likely Austrian StG. Do they have witness holes?

1*
Old November 25, 2003, 14:08   #29
torque65
Registered

FALaholic #: 9593
I have a 1/2 dozen aluminium mags with the STG-type inspectors' stamp and NO witness holes.
(EvMOd: no value-added, you've been edited)
My others are all type 1 with no markings.
Old November 25, 2003, 14:48   #30
EMDII
Evil Moderator

Silver Contributor

Can you get a macro pic of the mark? Is it numerical or alpha?

1*
Old November 26, 2003, 09:02   #31
EMDII
Evil Moderator

Silver Contributor

Canadians: we need your help-

From Kevin in NZ:
Quote:
I've just been doing some research about the canadian magazines and have found there are 3 types or retainer plates (retainer plate is what the
bottom of the spring clips into) one for the C1 and two versions for the C1A1 magazines, also I have found in the info I have has the price of some components ...... a C1 Magazine cost the Canadian Army $5.05 ea. and a C1A1
cost $5.03, these prices were correct as at 1963.

What I really need to do is ask the Canadian members to have a look at their
magazines and see if they can find the 3 types of retainer plates, and if
possible if they would send me one of each of the plates for my research. The British and Australian plates are suitable replacements and so long as the owners don't care about 'correctness' it shouldn't be a problem.

If you know anyone in the great white north ask them to have a look at their
mags I bet they have never realised about the different parts!

1*
Old February 03, 2004, 11:44   #32
84SS
Registered

FALaholic #: 7640
I picked up a box of 6 L1A1 mags last week & 2 of them are marked RFI ,I do'nt recall the dates.
84SS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 03, 2004, 15:40   #33
NZ L1A1 Collector

84SS your 'RFI' marked magazines are from India for their 1A or 1A1 rifles.

Thanx for looking for me
Old May 07, 2004, 18:25   #34
Buck Shott
Registered

FALaholic #: 3959
Hey guys
I got a metric magazine that has only two letters on the floor plate for a mark.

its marked BB

Any ideas?

Buck
Buck Shott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 25, 2004, 05:40   #35
NZ L1A1 Collector

Buck Shott: does your metric magazine have an 'inch' type floor plate? There are some converted Inch to Metric magazines out there converted by the Rhodesian Army for use in FAL's. These are marked with a large 'BR' on the floor plate.

Other then those I haven't seen any 'BB' marked metric floor plates. Are you able to post aor send me a pic of the magazine markings?

Here are some metric floor plates that I have found so far.

Last edited by NZ L1A1 Collector; October 14, 2014 at 23:04.
Old May 25, 2004, 15:44   #36
Don Williams
Registered

FALaholic #: 2580
Hey Kevin,

Looking at the NSN marked magazine, doesn't the 13 for the country code mean it was manufactured in Belgium? I thouhgt these were made by FN? I guess they were german issue but they weren't made there.
Old May 27, 2004, 23:34   #37
Rooster
Banned (Temp)

FALaholic #: 9328
Thanks for the excellent diagram NZ. You are always a great wealth of knowledge.
Rooster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 28, 2004, 03:10   #38
NZ L1A1 Collector

Don Williams: yep your right '13' does mean it was made in Belgium. The thing is the magazine was made by FN for use with the German G1's. The diagram is missing the 'G1' part of the label.

Rooster: Unfortunately the diagram isn't as good as the original which I did in WORD97 and then copied and pasted it into PhotoShop and turned it into a .jpg unfortunately during the process the quality suffers

The diagram is likely to change as I find other examples to draw up
Old June 03, 2004, 06:15   #39
OODA_Loop
Registered

FALaholic #: 551
How durable was the aluminum (or aluminium!) magazine in service?
Old September 14, 2004, 23:48   #40
wolfer
Registered

FALaholic #: 15431
Hello guys....i'm a new member of this forum.....NZ L1A1 COLLECTOR....i have several FAL mags....ALOT still in the wrap and several i took out of the wrap..all metric....and i have some inch mags i USE ALOT....along with a couple inch mag bodies still in the box....its late here right now and wife is in bed so i can't turn on lights and start digging through my mags but i will take inventory and post my findings on markings etc....i will try to scan a wrapper and post the pic here also if it might help....i'm a proud owner of an 85 Onyx Lithgow and researching it is what brought me here and made me join the forum....
"He that suffers his life to be taken from him by one that hath no authority for that purpose, when he might preserve it by defense, incurs the Guilt of self murder since God hath enjoined him to seek the continuance of his life, and Nature itself teaches every creature to defend itself."
wolfer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 15, 2004, 22:39   #41
NZ L1A1 Collector

Hi wolfer, Welcome to the FALFiles I'm sure you will find lots of useful information here and there are a lot of guys who can help you out with any questions you might have.

I will be great to see what you can find out about you metric magazines especially if your able to provide dates for the magazines. The magazine bodies in the box should be Canadian C1 magazine bodies.

Info about your Onyx would be great I have been doing a survey of these and Eden rifle when they appear and it would be great if you could send me it's serial number and what sort of parts kit the rifle is built with. Plus which address is being used for Onyx. So far there have three different address stamped of their receivers. If you type Onyx or Eden into the search function and do a search from the beginning in all open forum you will find a lot of topics about them.
Old September 18, 2004, 06:50   #42
CAR
Registered

FALaholic #: 1384
I have 22 FN made FAL mags (20 are in the box from FN) no markings on any of them.

Out of the 10 British L1A1 mags I own, 3 are marked on the charging handle side as follows....

1. Enfield cartouche "61" then "9600017" down the side with a broadarrow mark.

2. Enfield cartouche "76" then"9600017" with broadarrow.

3. Enfield cartouche "83" then '9600017" with broadarrow.

The text stamping on the 83 mag is of a slightly smaller font and much heavier than the two earlier mags.
CAR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 18, 2004, 07:10   #43
EMDII
Evil Moderator

Silver Contributor

CAR-
Nice update. The "9600017" is the NATO Stock Number fo the magazines.

1*
Old April 25, 2006, 18:47   #44
rmplstlskn
Registered

FALaholic #: 18704
Any Collector want this one?

I have a mag that has a Type #1 baseplate and a Type #1 follower (1954 X8E1 British trials rifle magazine follower). It also has a number stamped into the baseplate with a worn paint band around the circumference.

If this is worth anything to someone for their collection, I will trade it out for another magazine. Here are two pics...

Rmpl
rmplstlskn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 29, 2006, 08:21   #45
SLR-5000
pat@SAFLithgow.com

FALaholic #: 9674
Indian 30 round L4A1 mags with standard 20 round inch wire springs, (not flat steel springs like in all other inch 30's).
1994 manufacture.

SLR-5000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 14, 2006, 16:28   #46
Strike Penguin
Registered

FALaholic #: 18013
Just got four mags, at least three of them are Israeli. They came with an old surplus mag pouch from Sportsman's Guide. I'm thinking of selling them but I figured I'd document them first, maybe it's useful to somebody. I looked up the Hebrew alphabet to get names of the Israeli letters.

1. Israeli, steel, black painted over bare steel, gray parked follower with no holes, long bulge, and short, flat BHO tab. Straight tabs. Floorplate is like an "Israeli Type 1" except there's only the one large hole. There was some odd blue plasticky stuff wedged between the body and the floorplate at the front corner, I have no idea about its origin. Marked "80 decimal (Tzade Tav)" on the left rear, and "decimal (Gimel Pe)" on the back side. See photos below:

2. Israeli, steel, black painted over gray park, rough gray parked follower with only one "house-shaped" hole up front, long bulge, tall cylindrical BHO catch. Tapered tabs. Floorplate is like an "Israeli Type 1" except there is only one large hole and no small hole. Marked with the standard "Tzade Tav" within an oval on the body.

3. Israeli, steel, black painted over gray park, blued follower with two small square holes at rear and "house-shaped" hole up front, short bulge, and tall cylindrical BHO catch. Tapered tabs. Floorplate is "Israeli Type 2" and there is what MIGHT be the letters "EM" in English scratched onto the floorplate. Could be just a coincidental scratch too. See photos below, it's the third mag from the left. Marked with the standard "Tzade Tav" within an oval on the body.

4. Unmarked, steel, black painted over park, blued follower with two square holes at rear and "house-shaped" hole up front, short bulge, and tall cylindrical BHO catch. Tapered tabs. Floorplate is "Israeli Type 1" with the large hole ahead of a small hole. Hardly any dings, dents, or scratches, but a lot of paint wear and rust on the body, looks like wear from carrying or storage.

Here are pictures of 1-4, left to right in all photos:

Last edited by Strike Penguin; September 14, 2006 at 21:10.
Strike Penguin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 29, 2006, 15:34   #47
archy
Registered

FALaholic #: 533
Quote:
Originally posted by Peter Wells
Kevin, I would suppose that the mags with the U/m ground off were amongst those sent to Rhodesia with the rifles. We would probably have sent mags on a scale of about seven (one fitted and six reserve) per rifle as Rhodesia had no manufacturing capacity for mags.

They got both FN made SA Contract rifles (with SA crest milled out) and R1s from us and, for obvious reasons, both parties wanted to disguise their origins - half-heartedly I must admit.

Not sure if the grinding/milling was done in SA before departure or on receipt in Rhodesia.
I have 6 magazines that returned with me from my stay in South Africa and Rhodesia in 1977-78. I'll check them for markings, and add to the data collected here, but I can tell you from memory that one is of Israeli origin and one is a Indian L1A1 [1A1] magazine with the milled front pivot lug.

The others have the external/ L1A1 tyoe magazine bottom plate [floorplate] and distance plate. [floorplate catch]

My magazines aren't painted- that mischief was in process but was far from complete when I was there.

FYI, Portugal was another large-scale supplier of Rhodesian FAL magazines, though the Portugese military used the G3 rifle in their own African colonies.
Ah, they don't have a soul like a Vincent '52"

-Richard John Thompson
1952 Vincent Black Lightning
archy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 13, 2006, 21:29   #48
Strike Penguin
Registered

FALaholic #: 18013
I bought two Inch mags from another member recently. Both are black painted, both have parked followers. One is completely devoid of markings, the other is marked on the body, follower, and floorplate.

Floorplate:
(D with a notch through it) TT 9602044

Body:
(backwards P)R L2A1 960-0017

Follower:
MTY
Strike Penguin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 01, 2007, 16:15   #49
K.R. Rabbit
Registered

FALaholic #: 20870
South African magazines

Does anyone know what the R-C means on the front of South African magazines?
Thanks,
Rabbit
K.R. Rabbit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 01, 2007, 18:25   #50
Mosin Guy
Registered

FALaholic #: 46
http://www.saaaca.org.za/links/SIG/fal/mags.htm
Mosin Guy is offline   Reply With Quote