The FAL Files  

Go Back   The FAL Files > Weapons Discussion > General Firearms Discussion

Notices

Old December 10, 2002, 13:42   #1
Mosin Guy
Registered

FALaholic #: 46
For ALL you Newbies out there

It gets old answering the same old questions day in day out, NOT that I don't mind helping you out every now an then, but there is very good information using the search feature but also here:

http://www.l1a1.com/gas.html

Hope This Helps.

Last edited by Mosin Guy; September 18, 2010 at 16:20.
Mosin Guy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old December 10, 2002, 13:47   #2
law4fun

FALaholic #: 1544
You are a good man. Thanks for posting the links.
Old December 10, 2002, 13:53   #3
idsubgun
"Comfortably Numb"
Bronze Contributor

FALaholic #: 3100
This is also a good one. People always ask which US parts.

Bookmark this page:

http://www.fnfal.com/falfiles/usaparts.html

"Sticks & stones may break my bones, but hollow points expand on impact."
idsubgun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 10, 2002, 13:56   #4
Stranger
Registered
Contributor

FALaholic #: 3555
Re: For All You Newbies out there

Quote:
Originally posted by Mosin Guy
It gets old answering the same old questions day in day out,NOT that I dont mind helping you out every now an then,but there is very good information using the search feature but also here: http://www.fnfal.com/falfiles/gas.html http://www.fnfal.com/falfiles/old_index.html Hope This Helps.
I thought it was Ted's job to tell everyone to use the search function? He needs something to do while sitting around making sure the reactor doesn't melt down.
Old December 10, 2002, 15:16   #5
GummyBear1
Registered

FALaholic #: 7470
In defense of SOME new guy questions, I had one a few weeks ago about a SUIT sight and was spanked about how I should do the search and should've known about blah, blah, blah so I kept quiet and went through all of the info that I was told would have the answer.

Well guess what...NO reference to my question (and hence, no answer) was found in any of the posts I was assured would have it. In fact the SUIT owners manual link I was reluctantly provided didn't even have the answer.

How do you expect anyone other than smart-asses to frequent this board when "help" like that is offered?
GummyBear1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 10, 2002, 15:31   #6
EMDII
Evil Moderator

Silver Contributor

FALaholic #: 6
This thread in FAQs has the SUIT manual .

It worked, just now. Can't answer the why of your rpevious experience. But really, these 10 SUIT threads in the FAQs Forum answer nearly every question we've seen, if not all. Did yo unot find an answer there? If not PLEASE tell us so we can update something, including the FAQs Forum and our smart-ass attitude!

'reluctantly provided'- wow. It's here. What kind of reluctant can there be

We're not perfect, but many of us have seen these same questions (Gas, SUITs, Which is best (NONE BTW), NATO-what?, yadayada) so much that our brains sometimes turn to mush. IF we failed to answer a question, do NOT keep quiet about it. Tell somebody. Smart-ass if our fault. Failing to critique our behaviour at the point-in-time where it occurs virtually guarantees a repeat of that undesirable performance.

PS- please check your SUIT threads. I'm going searching your posts for the unanswered question.

E.M. (Ted) Dannemiller II
1*
EMDII is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 10, 2002, 15:39   #7
GummyBear1
Registered

Thanks for replying.

The stupid question I had was regarding the windage screw. It would have saved me a few rounds of ammo to know which direction direction of screw rotation was left or right. The manual does not state anything other than "here is the windage screw".

It wasn't a big deal, but it annoyed me.
Old December 10, 2002, 15:47   #8
EMDII
Evil Moderator

Silver Contributor

THis is what I 'referenced'
Quote:
An internally threaded alignment block with curved recess to receive the mount locating pin, is attached to a
lateral adjustment screw. An inscribed guide R-L located above the lateral adjustment screw, indicates the direction of rotation required to move the impact point right or left eight graduations each corresponding to an alteration of 100mm (4 in. at 100mm, are engraved on the arm close to the screw head.
An elevating adjustment screw with conical point for location i n the forward cradle of the mount is situated at the front end of the arm.
A guide marked E--D (elevate and depress), indicates the direction of rotation required to correct any vertical errors. The eight inscribed graduations each indicate an alteration of 100mm (4 in) at 100m. Located in a horizontal boring and placed one either side of the elevating screw, two cones, one with an
internal thread, are retained in position by an elevating clamp screw, clockwise rotation of the elevation clamp screw causes the cones to bear against the forward edge of the elevating screw and retain it in position
Straight outta the manual link.

Is your SUIT body NOT so-inscribed? That may be the problem. LMK, will you. I really hate NOT getting you the right info.

1*
Old December 10, 2002, 15:51   #9
GummyBear1
Registered

My SUIT is from Isreal.

I can't read Hebrew.
Old December 10, 2002, 15:53   #10
EMDII
Evil Moderator

Silver Contributor

Quote:
Originally posted by GummyBear1
My SUIT is from Isreal.

I can't read Hebrew.
You'll notice in my original answer that I asked if you had an Israeli. You didn't respond, so I wasn't aware of the problem. We can help, if we know the problem.

Sent you an e-mail. I think we can solve this. AND, maybe we need to update the FAQs Forum to talk about adjustment on Israelis. Wahddya think

Thanks for bringing the problem to my attention. Ignorance is bliss, don't you know.

1*
Old December 10, 2002, 15:55   #11
GummyBear1
Registered

You're right. I have no excuse.

Dave
Old December 10, 2002, 16:04   #12
ce
Registered

FALaholic #: 373
Now see here Ted, you smartass know it all, oh wait, that's me.

Look, we don't mind answering any neophyte questions, and I mean that, it's fun, we get to pontificate, and condescend, but most important, we get to SMARTASS.
It amuses those in the know, and we have our little jokes, but it's all in good fun, you as a novice, don't get it, YET, but you will,and we see rapid assimilation and conversion to smartass stature by every sort of FALer.
So, please don't get offended at our gratuitous buffonery, it is a kind of hazing you will have to endure, but you will come through it stronger, and hopefully better informed.
And nobody said nuthin' about HEBREW! Til now.
FN newboys. Sometimes ya gotta BEAT it out of 'em.
ce is online now   Reply With Quote
Old December 11, 2002, 10:18   #13
ket
Registered

FALaholic #: 7974
Smile

I have'nt been on this board very long but I notice alot of repeat questions myself. I must become a SMARTASS myself in saying that thier are only so many part on any given weapon and only so many variations that can be done that all questions after a short period of time will start to repeat themselves. should all us newbies not ask questions anymore because with enough searching the answer can be found in old post amybe we could have a board for answers not covered by previous post.

hey I said I was a smartass

ket up and coming FALoholic
ket is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 11, 2002, 11:10   #14
EMDII
Evil Moderator

Silver Contributor

PLEASE go look at this Thread in GD.

I have sorted, chopped, sliced, and diced the FAQ Forum. See if this helps. If it needs improving, LMK so I can make it work.

1*
Old December 11, 2002, 11:19   #15
ce
Registered

FALaholic #: 373
Why, you little...!
No sweat, dude, I'd rather see redundant questions all the time, because if a new guy let's on that this is a newish question, all the other newbs will cluster around and see if they can learn something, and thus be spared the degradation of having to ask themselves.
So, since the object is to disseminate the information repeatedly, we would rather see a question answered, than to have a member flung into the morass of a fruitless search, which would be more frustrating and confusing than helpful.
All that searching can get real deep, and no FNG can be "expected" to know anything.
And if you really like being humiliated, try spoutin' off something you DON'T know about, or some crap you heard on another board, and see how that draws out the Corrections Comittee, shit, you won't be able to sit down or sleep for a week.
Yep, we deal with the facts here.
That's a fact, Jack.
Any questions?
ce is online now   Reply With Quote
Old December 11, 2002, 12:45   #16
Mosin Guy
Registered

The main reason I posted the original post was not to cause a pissing match or a flame war,but to remind others that there is a wealth of good information for newbies at your finger tips on the Old FAL FILES Web Site there is a lot of basic info that you might need there and was only passing said information on to anyone who was interested.Thanks
Old December 11, 2002, 14:26   #17
GummyBear1
Registered

Mosin Guy,

No problem and no flame. Ted helped with my question and I'm taking smart-ass lessons so I can play too.

Dave
Old December 12, 2002, 11:54   #18
LarryR
Registered

FALaholic #: 1190
[quote] I'm taking smart-ass lessons so I can play too.

Oooh, that's a good one! You're fitting in so quickly it's scary. All you need to do now is bleed on your rifle a bit and start collecting WECSOG points.
LarryR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 12, 2002, 23:13   #19
falsafe
Registered

FALaholic #: 3894
What duz seerch meeeeeeeeeen?????? What do de maen buy sayun "ALL YOUR FAL ARE BELONG TO US!" sumbudy hep mi!

Old December 15, 2002, 09:09   #20
DINO212
Registered

FALaholic #: 7068
No flame intended, but if one was to tire of answering the same questions, why not just pass on the thread? I believe the more people here the better and a new member might get turned of if his question is answered by being told to look else where,or reciveing a reprimand by a self appointed board Hitler. I my self have answered a few repeat questions from new members and am always glad to help. If you don't like the topic or question just pass. I dont believe we are running out of room here yet.
DINO212 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 15, 2002, 12:58   #21
Mosin Guy
Registered

Hey DINO212,Like I stated in a earlier post,it was never my intention to come off as the board hitler or to flame anyone or to cause a stir among the board,my main intention was to post the links to the old board for the benefit of those here that did not know where to find this information,it has gotten to the point in this thread that I'am almost sorry I posted the original post.Thanks
Old December 15, 2002, 13:26   #22
idsubgun
"Comfortably Numb"
Bronze Contributor

FALaholic #: 3100
Mosin Guy,

Don't feel sorry, I think it's a grand idea! And it prompted Ted to make his own thread with all those links. It's a good idea, period.

"Sticks & stones may break my bones, but hollow points expand on impact."
idsubgun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 18, 2002, 22:12   #23
jrgunman
Registered

FALaholic #: 136
FNG`S what ya going to do?
Old December 23, 2002, 10:21   #24
Newbee
Registered

FALaholic #: 3270
"ALL YOUR FAL ARE BELONG TO US!"

Falsafe
While looking up the origin of the word "Leatherneck" I stumbled on the answer to your ?

All Your Base Are Belong To Us
This nonsensical phrase first appeared in the English-language release of the Japanese video game Zero Wing in 1991. It's a shoddy translation that became an in-joke among video gamers, who in the spirit of Kilroy and Mr. Chad copied it as grafitti wherever there was a flat surface. In 1998 the phrase began to be posted to the Internet and what had been an in-joke among gamers went mainstream.

http://www.wordorigins.org/wordora.htm#allyour

Happy Kwanza,

Bryan T
Newbee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 24, 2002, 16:01   #25
762minigun
Registered

FALaholic #: 6464
Uh Ok
Old December 27, 2002, 18:30   #26
Falunga
Registered

FALaholic #: 8232
"All your FAL are belong to us"

I too wondered what the heck this means. I did a search on it but all I found were millions of uses where it was just mentioned outside of any conceivable context. I was too scared to ask because I knew I'd be flamed for asking a question that had already been asked before somewhere sometime, on some earlier version of the board, or even a dial-up BB back in the "stoned ages."

Now I know, and I'm happy again. I guess you just have to wait around for someone else to draw the flack and ask a question or start reading the FAQ from beginning to end. (like anyone has that kind of time) Perhaps the Forum should be shut down because every question has been asked at one time or another and there is no reason to post any new posts. LOL

FALunga
Falunga is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 05, 2003, 22:46   #27
Bruce J
Registered

FALaholic #: 102
I can recall back in the good ol' days when when there was no such thing as a dumb question, just dumb people like myself asking it... I was a warm fuzy place too, the kinda place where every body knew your name .. err uhh... no that was that bar on TV..

I personally like the redundant questions as they are the few that i can sort of answer without BS-ing too much. I say, bring on the newbie questions - they make me feel like I might know somethng for a change.

Besides, I'm too good to be hanging out with erogant folks, so if you don't start being more humble, I'll have to snub ya.
"Although I can accept talking scarecrows, lions and great wizards in emerald cities, I find it hard to believe there is no paperwork involved when your house lands on a witch."

Last edited by Bruce J; January 05, 2003 at 22:49.
Bruce J is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 07, 2003, 16:24   #28
EMDII
Evil Moderator

Silver Contributor

And don't forget this "EUREKA" thread in FAQs FORUM.

1*
Old January 22, 2003, 11:16   #29
BigDozer66
Registered

FALaholic #: 8993
Cool

Thanks!

Just getting started!

BigDozer66

*TX-FNFAL* A Brigade of One
BigDozer66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 22, 2003, 12:35   #30
Oregon-Jet
Registered

FALaholic #: 3381
Quote:
Originally posted by Bruce J

I personally like the redundant questions as they are the few that i can sort of answer without BS-ing too much. I say, bring on the newbie questions - they make me feel like I might know somethng for a change.

Besides, I'm too good to be hanging out with erogant folks, so if you don't start being more humble, I'll have to snub ya.
Good choice of word's there Bruce, However there are a few Senior's who havn't Posted here in this one, that helped me ton's with my first couple of build's in PM's. I asked in PM's to ward off of the " Go Use The Search Function" Because i did use it and it just didn't work out for me and what i was looking for. It is nice to have that one on one feeling when working out something new to you, if for anything the piece of mind that i got it right. And that i might not have a health hazzard in the making in the build.
And to you SENIOR MEMBER's who helped me THANKYOU, you know who you are, I can only hope that it doesn't become a non personal board around here with the Question's.
The FAQ area is an outstanding place for info I still use it , but there is a time and a place for FNG questions, and there are those like Bruce J who enjoy answering them because He/they still understand whats its like to be new and learning what we all love here.
Thanks Guy's
OJ
Oregon-Jet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 22, 2003, 13:38   #31
EMDII
Evil Moderator

Silver Contributor

FNGs are welcome: we were ALL FNGs at one time, and still have lots to learn. It isn't about arrogance: it's about getting as much info to a user as quickly as possible. Everyone should by now have bookmarked the FAQs/Eureka thread. Everyone. We can only add to the store of knowledge there. My goal is to point someone to an answer, and then w/ additional info the question thread develops.

Still, it's fun to ask 'what the hell does this do?"

The search function is not Boolean, so it can be a bit tricky. Is why I created all those search masks in Eureka. HTH.

1*
Old February 06, 2003, 00:17   #32
Dr. Nick Riviera
Registered

FALaholic #: 9258
That was nice...
Dr. Nick Riviera is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 16, 2003, 19:04   #33
Paul L
Registered

FALaholic #: 9436
Im an FNG,hell Im soooo new this is only my third post,as a matter of fact Im sooo new I don't even own an FN FAL yet!!! But I've learned my lesson Im gonna look before I ask a question,I don't want to get yelled at!!??? All kidding aside I just joined this site today and had some(probebly dumb)questions about DSA rifles and within 10 mins 3DOGHOUSE,and STRANGER,answered my questions oh and they were very polite and VERY INFORMATIVE!Just from the posts I've been reading today all the guys here seem like great guys,and have a good sence of humor I like that,I've been laughing my ass off at some of the posts!Ok make me feel at home,start yelling at me!!!!!!!!
Paul L
Paul L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 26, 2003, 09:59   #34
ProGunOne
Registered

FALaholic #: 3332
"I thought it was Ted's job to tell everyone to use the search function? He needs something to do while sitting around making sure the reactor doesn't melt down."

"The men the American people admire most extravagantly are the greatest liars; the men they detest most violently are those who try to tell them the truth." H. L. Mencken

"All truth passes through three stages. First, it is ridiculed, second it is violently opposed, and third, it is accepted as self-evident."
ProGunOne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 26, 2003, 14:46   #35
EMDII
Evil Moderator

Silver Contributor

Surrender your carbon-based life form immediately. Go to the FAQs Collective. We are FAL-Borg. You will be strip-Searched, and Assimilated!

1*
Old March 04, 2003, 07:33   #36
DakTo
MadMinuteDude
Platinum Contributor

FALaholic #: 9689
Hey, a real newbie here and thanks for the link.
A store owner just asked me the other day, while building up a FAL if the gas plug is in the A or G position. I could have been a smart ass and told him to fire the weapon and find out. But I took the time to explain the functions of both gas plug positions.

Point is that even though I have been into FAL's for 20 years, I enjoy the discussions of the product with folks who show an interest , no matter how simple the queation is.

I thank all of you for the info on the site, as I also learned a few new things.
DakTo is online now   Reply With Quote
Old March 18, 2003, 23:39   #37
Bubba FAL
Registered

FALaholic #: 9851
Amen bro!

For all you crusty curmudgeons, keep in mind that just because some of us are new to the forums doesn't mean we're new to FALs or firearms in general...

I am grateful for the exchange of information that is found here. 'Smithing a military rifle is a long way from bolting scopes to a "Remchester" or cleaning shotguns, which seems to be the extent of skill for many "smiths" that I have encountered over the years. "What's a SVT?", etc.

Bubba FAL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 16, 2003, 16:56   #38
womb-raider
Registered

FALaholic #: 9705
I'm a newbie...thanks for the help.
womb-raider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 24, 2003, 16:40   #39
Mtn
Registered

FALaholic #: 10125
Ye p I went and asked about the gas block in general firearms. First response I get is this question is it should have been posted in gunsmithing section. Well some folks just have there ass in too much of a wad I suppose.
Mtn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 27, 2003, 09:14   #40
Fredo Corleone
Registered

FALaholic #: 10381
Am I nu
Old May 31, 2003, 19:10   #41
Blue Flame
Registered

FALaholic #: 10734
I too appreciate the link to the FAQs. I will read it before asking my smart-a$$ questions.

-Unknown
Blue Flame is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 05, 2003, 11:36   #42
SwimBikeRun
Registered

FALaholic #: 11596
Another FNG here. The first two links ask for username and password, which I apparently don't have, to get on to the server.
SwimBikeRun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 05, 2003, 12:09   #43
SAMPLEGLOCK19
Registered

FALaholic #: 9514
EMDII- You must be smoking crack or playing with yourself or something. To make a stupid statement like that. Yes I'm knew to FAL FILES but to the world of guns. I probably have more experience then you on this subject. You really should think about things first before you decide to write them. I was offended by that statement you made. Yes, I call you on it too! and will call anyone else who makes stupid statements. This is your lesson for the day.
SAMPLEGLOCK19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 06, 2003, 08:11   #44
Randyqnq
Registered

FALaholic #: 10494
Ok all you Newbie's and SMARTASSES.... Regroup and take a break, and have a beer on me love reading all the exciting Q&As oh hell screw just 1 beer on me..... Buddies have another and another and one chaser Love ya all
In our own native land, in defence of the freedom that is our birthright, and which we ever enjoyed till the late violation of it -- for the protection of our property, acquired solely by the honest industry of our fore-fathers and ourselves, against violence actually offered, we have taken up arms. We shall lay them down when hostilities shall cease on the part of the aggressors, and all danger of their being renewed shall be removed, and not before.
Randyqnq is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 06, 2003, 08:43   #45
EMDII
Evil Moderator

Silver Contributor

Quote:
Originally posted by SAMPLEGLOCK19
EMDII- You must be smoking crack or playing with yourself or something. To make a stupid statement like that. Yes I'm knew to FAL FILES but to the world of guns. I probably have more experience then you on this subject. You really should think about things first before you decide to write them. I was offended by that statement you made. Yes, I call you on it too! and will call anyone else who makes stupid statements. This is your lesson for the day.
Yikes! I have been body-slammed by sampleglcok19!

FWIW- I first fired an L1A1 in 1960. And I fired it again. Somewhere in the Belgian Congo. Since that time I've fired probably a million (yes 1E6) rounds of small arms and bigger. I've fired most of the military small arms of all the major countries, and many of those from little piss-ant banana republics and thirld-world hideouts. I have fired the FAL in anger, and was lucky enough to survive to talk about it.

Beyond that, I have few firearms credentials.

Your lesson for the day: never let your hummingbird ass overcommit your alligator mouth.

You have a penchant for running off at the mouth. That's OK, we all grew up somewhere. You can do that here.

Whiskey for my men, beer for my horses, bartender.

1*
Old October 12, 2003, 05:34   #46
iolaus
Registered

FALaholic #: 9790
Quote:
Ok all you Newbie's and SMARTASSES.... Regroup and take a break, and have a beer on me love reading all the exciting Q&As oh hell screw just 1 beer on me..... Buddies have another and another and one chaser Love ya all
And another
And another
...Jeese... We're all here for a good time.

"Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways - Bottle of scotch in one hand - chocolate covered strawberries in the other - body thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and screaming - WOO HOO! What a Ride!"
-Author unknown
iolaus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 12, 2003, 05:40   #47
iolaus
Registered

FALaholic #: 9790
P.S. EDMII, I'll have one of those whiskeys,...Single malt, if you please....Oh... that was good. Thank you.

"Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways - Bottle of scotch in one hand - chocolate covered strawberries in the other - body thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and screaming - WOO HOO! What a Ride!"
-Author unknown
iolaus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 12, 2003, 07:36   #48
EMDII
Evil Moderator

Silver Contributor

Eureka thread in R&D is all the slice-n-dice I could make of all 300+ threads there. Bookmark it.

1*
Old October 12, 2003, 08:25   #49
Bruce Allen
Registered

FALaholic #: 186
Quote:
Originally posted by EMDII
.... I have sorted, chopped, sliced, and diced the FAQ Forum. See if this helps. If it needs improving, LMK so I can make it work.
I nominate Ted to be the offical Ginsu chef of the FAL Files!!
Old October 30, 2003, 16:18   #50
newbie2FAL
Registered

FALaholic #: 12255
What is a FAL specialized for? and what cartidge is best?

I am a realllll newbie. Matter in fact I own a AR15 but something about the FAL intrigues me. For one what was its main purpose of use. Looking at it. it looks like a sniper type rifle. I am looking for this type of rifle to add to my small collection. Im not sure what cartidge to use.308 seems to be the standard. But I also heard it is avail in the 300 whisp caliber to anyhow getting to it. Who should I buy one from or should I build one myself. I see basic FAL's in the shotgun news all the time for about 319.95 complete used gun but DSA wow they make a nice one. what length barrel. I would be most interested in long long range shooting. short to medium my Ar has it covered. AT there Mag drum for the FAL like the Ak 47 and Mk91 and AR 15? I tried using the FAQ's but it says im forbidden and restricted to port 80 unauthorized use.

My "OTHER" hobby

http://blueknight.freeservers.com
newbie2FAL is offline   Reply With Quote