Notices

Old January 03, 2018, 06:32   #1
Thorack
Acquisition Corp Dude
Bronze Contributor

FALaholic #: 748
youtube reviews as a business model. Serious Coin

Well,

I wondered recently what all the hubbub was about youtube demonetizing certain content.

Before demonetization: YouTubers get paid between $2 $5 per 1000 monetized views after YouTube takes its cut. Monetized views range from 40% 60% of the total views. All these are influenced by different factors like device played on, location of the viewer, ad inventory, how many ads there are on a video, how many people skip the ads, ad engagement etc. There is also a program known as Google Preferred where deep pocketed companies can target ads on the top 5% most popular content. The ad rates here are higher than normal. Apart from ads, they also generate extra from YouTube Red viewers who pay a monthly fee to view premium content on YouTube plus watch videos without ads.

A large channel that had over 1.4 million subscribers in 2017 and has accumulated over 400 million views and is able to get an average of 320,000 views per day from different sources. This should result in an estimated revenue of around $580 per day ($210,000 a year) from the ads that appear on the videos.

Now I understand the hubbub youtube was paying some of these guys serious coin before it pulled ads (demonetizing). It was a great business model. Start a gunshop and online gunshop to get guns for review; make some money, do reviews on youtube make some money, get sponsors make some money.

Some of these guys are completely integrated vertically, this was a great gig for a few years. Looks like full30.com is set to restart this model with strictly outdoor gear reviews.

Beware they will always have an agenda.

Thorack

2. Never let Doctors cut on you unless its life or death and ALWAYS get a second opinion.
Thorack is online now   Reply With Quote
Old January 03, 2018, 07:03   #2
munchoman
Bronze Contributor

FALaholic #: 21848
Good to know, they are just the internet version, of the old gun magazine review
munchoman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 03, 2018, 11:05   #3
stimpsonjcat
I wasn't talking to you
Silver Contributor

FALaholic #: 470
I make about $100 a year.

Or I guess I USED to make about $100 a year.

But I do my videos for fun, not a serious tuber.

"Your 8mm FAL is like a deuce coup with a Ferrari pancake 12 under the hood and a Jaguar rear end. It just kinda transcends cool into fantasy."- USMC 0341

"The stimpgewehr is the reason Waldo is hiding."- Kotengu

"The game is worth the candle...always been."
stimpsonjcat is online now   Reply With Quote
Old January 03, 2018, 17:25   #4
wanneroo
Registered

FALaholic #: 74891
I was interested in starting a channel, did a lot of research online, talked to different people and found that trying to run a channel off of Youtube ad revenue alone was not going to be profitable or sensible and this was pre ad apocalypse. Unless, as like many do, it's a amateur thing you enjoy doing.

Also what I found at the time was the different tiers of how ad revenue was distributed. The mega million channels were getting the $2-$5 per thousand, most gun channels were getting more like a $1 per 1000, sometimes less.

The other thing I found was that on average, no matter the number of subscribers, generally the max viewership you could hope for was anywhere from 5-10% of your subscribers. On occasion you might have a video that would gain some traction and you could get more than that, but that's the average.

Sure I think for some if they create a lot of videos over years, build up subscribers and also have durable videos that will be relevant for years, you might have the legs to generate semi passive income over the years.

In the end what I decided was when I start my next business I will use Youtube as a means to advertise my wares and if I can do some fun stuff with the channel I will and if people like it on a wider scale, then great.
wanneroo is online now   Reply With Quote
Old January 03, 2018, 20:49   #5
RG Coburn
Registered

FALaholic #: 27406
I'm to a point where almost all content I watch is on youtube. There simply isn't anything anymore on network type television that remotely interests me.The people I watch on youtube are far more interesting to see than anybody in Hollywierd. I am not alone. Add up the total viewing of even the little one-man-shows on youtube...you gotta know Hollywierd is seriously hurting.
RG Coburn is online now   Reply With Quote