The FAL Files  

Go Back   The FAL Files > Discussion Forums > General Non-Firearms Discussion

Notices

Old January 01, 2018, 19:48   #1
Bama Steve
Registered

FALaholic #: 1982
Severe Cold Weather Tip . . .

I just tried this and my feet are getting warmer and the heat is cycling less frequently:

Open your clothes dryer and feel the air flow coming out of the exhaust vent inside the tumbler-wall.

If it is severe, tape it over with painters tape and then close the dryer and tape the door shut to remind you that it is sealed.

(Don't forget to remove the tape before running the dryer and DON'T run it at all when it is severely cold outside - you are just wasting energy by cooling your house by sucking-in make-up air and throwing that money outside).

Stack effect . . .

It will save you a bunch of heating costs and keep your laundry room warmer so the pipes don't freeze too.

Best wishes,

Old January 01, 2018, 21:11   #2
mutter
Registered

FALaholic #: 22871
Why not just tape the vent outside?
mutter is online now   Reply With Quote
Old January 01, 2018, 21:15   #3
Sagerider
Curio & Relic
Silver Contributor

FALaholic #: 66564
Good idea! Thanks!

Matthew 25:1 thru 25:10 Be ready!

The written word sometimes like poetry is never really finished but merely abandoned.

I live alone in the middle of nowhere with two dogs and a cat, what do you think about that.

The wind blows, the rain falls, the flag snaps its bravery in the dark as two dogs boil for attention at my feet.

Of course it is a true story. You just couldn't make up something like that, no way.
Sagerider is online now   Reply With Quote
Old January 01, 2018, 21:31   #4
Mebsuta
Khemi, Stygia
Contributor

FALaholic #: 4143
I taped my front door yesterday. Will check the dryer. Thanks.
Old January 01, 2018, 22:02   #5
meltblown
Registered
Bronze Contributor

FALaholic #: 34604
31 here low 27. I can't get much further south except leave the country. I hate winter

Expect the worst, and you'll never be disappointed.

Before trying to beat the odds, make sure you can survive the odds beating you.
meltblown is online now   Reply With Quote
Old January 01, 2018, 22:28   #6
Mebsuta
Khemi, Stygia
Contributor

FALaholic #: 4143
Winter sux. Summer 4 ever.
Old January 01, 2018, 23:01   #7
nijwnfi
Registered

FALaholic #: 18726
They also make a 1 way valve to put inline where the vent pipe meets the wall. Works great.
nijwnfi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 01, 2018, 23:05   #8
armarsh
Registered

FALaholic #: 27915
https://www.lambro.net/product/4-dryer-vent-seal/

Cheap and work great. I put them on bathroom vents too.
For the seeds that we let grow? - Neil Peart
armarsh is online now   Reply With Quote
Old January 02, 2018, 01:10   #9
Bama Steve
Registered

In my experience those dryer vent dampers work well as long as you remember to clean them about once every two weeks in cold weather.

The condensation caused by warm moist dryer exhaust air causes small particles of lint to get trapped upon the damper vent which builds-up quickly and produces a mechanical blockage which holds the damper open.

Even if you have one of those dampers in place - go check your dryer as indicated in the OP.
Old January 02, 2018, 06:07   #10
aussiedave
Registered

FALaholic #: 7307
heading to HAWAII for 2 weeks.
Old January 02, 2018, 06:16   #11
Black Blade
Registered

FALaholic #: 76490
Quote:
Originally Posted by meltblown View Post
31 here low 27. I can't get much further south except leave the country. I hate winter
Currently on the Tex-Mex border near Laredo ... 27F and we got icecycles hanging off our logging trailer at the rig site. Water hose is froze up so we are using bottled water now. Yikes!
Old January 02, 2018, 06:27   #12
FALonious
In His Grip
Silver Contributor

FALaholic #: 51017
Been real cold here for the last week or so....like -5 to -10ish.
Only the MN guys can relate to that. ....AK too I spose....but for us it's kinda rare.
We block the dryer vent off outside in the winter and run it with and old nylon over the tube inside. It helps with heat and putting some moisture back into the air. Have to keep it cleaned out but it works well.
All men dream, but not equally. Those who dream by night in the dusty recesses of their minds, wake in the day to find that it was vanity: but the dreamers of the day are dangerous men, for they may act on their dreams with open eyes, to make them possible.

T. E. Lawrence

FALonious is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 02, 2018, 07:53   #13
armarsh
Registered

FALaholic #: 27915
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bama Steve View Post
In my experience those dryer vent dampers work well as long as you remember to clean them about once every two weeks in cold weather.

The condensation caused by warm moist dryer exhaust air causes small particles of lint to get trapped upon the damper vent which builds-up quickly and produces a mechanical blockage which holds the damper open.

Even if you have one of those dampers in place - go check your dryer as indicated in the OP.
Your experience does not match mine. I have cleaned mine twice in ten years.
Its easy to tell when they don't seal up, especially in the -20's we have been having this week.

Maybe a different brand or something wrong with your installation?
For the seeds that we let grow? - Neil Peart
armarsh is online now   Reply With Quote
Old January 02, 2018, 08:06   #14
base704
Vampire Pilot
Contributor

FALaholic #: 14321
Hell, I'm in North Carolina (Charlotte) and it's only 11 degrees!!

WTF?!?!

Global warming, my ass!
"We are fast approaching the stage of the ultimate inversion: the stage where the government is free to do anything it pleases, while the citizens may act only by permission; which is the stage of the darkest periods of human history, the stage of rule by brute force."
-Ayn Rand, "The Nature of Government"
base704 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old January 02, 2018, 08:35   #15
yovinny
Registered

FALaholic #: 7679
Quote:
Originally Posted by base704 View Post
Hell, I'm in North Carolina (Charlotte) and it's only 11 degrees!!

WTF?!?!

Global warming, my ass!
Heat wave here in SW Kentucky,,,2*now,,,but its supost to climb to a sweltering 20* later..
High of 11* yesterday...
yovinny is online now   Reply With Quote
Old January 02, 2018, 09:01   #16
M90A1
Registered

FALaholic #: 3409
78* here in the Tucson area yesterday. Will be only mid 70s the rest of the week. Ahhh, winter!!! Dryer vents, meh.
M90A1 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old January 02, 2018, 09:06   #17
01BIRDDOG
Registered

FALaholic #: 54639
Quote:
Originally Posted by M90A1 View Post
78* here in the Tucson area yesterday. Will be only mid 70s the rest of the week. Ahhh, winter!!! Dryer vents, meh.

"0" here and i'm bitching....Wish i were there.
01BIRDDOG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 02, 2018, 10:06   #18
hkshooter
Mighty Fine!
Silver Contributor

FALaholic #: 5391
FN cold, nuf said.

I'm leaving my dryer vent and doors alone.
It's rarely heard of but the air inside a modern, sealed tighter than a frogs ass tight house is nasty. Various gasses, CO, CO2, cooking odors, pet odors if you have pets, cig smoke for you smokers, general people stink. There's no air movment, it's literally like living in a sealed plastic box. It's polluted and been said that the air inside the average sealed up home is more polluted than the outside air, by far.
Living critters like people need fresh air. So if my dryer vent leaks a little or sucks in some outside air from a crack somewhere when the dryer is running I call it a good thing. When I go outside in the winter and breathe in a nice long draw of crisp, clean air it feels and smells wonderful. Even if it does freeze the hairs in my nose.
If paying a Benjamin a year by allowing some fresh air in is going to kill me then I need to stop buying guns, sell everything, and pick up a different life style because I'm doing something very wrong.
Old January 02, 2018, 16:04   #19
Texgunner
long-time Texas taxpayer
Silver Contributor

FALaholic #: 4653
Quote:
Originally Posted by hkshooter View Post
FN cold, nuf said.

I'm leaving my dryer vent and doors alone.
It's rarely heard of but the air inside a modern, sealed tighter than a frogs ass tight house is nasty. Various gasses, CO, CO2, cooking odors, pet odors if you have pets, cig smoke for you smokers, general people stink. There's no air movment, it's literally like living in a sealed plastic box. It's polluted and been said that the air inside the average sealed up home is more polluted than the outside air, by far.
Living critters like people need fresh air. So if my dryer vent leaks a little or sucks in some outside air from a crack somewhere when the dryer is running I call it a good thing. When I go outside in the winter and breathe in a nice long draw of crisp, clean air it feels and smells wonderful. Even if it does freeze the hairs in my nose.
If paying a Benjamin a year by allowing some fresh air in is going to kill me then I need to stop buying guns, sell everything, and pick up a different life style because I'm doing something very wrong.
Pretty good point Troy!
Old January 02, 2018, 19:07   #20
Bama Steve
Registered

Open an exterior door for a few minutes every now and then and you will dump the bad air and replace it with fresh air without reducing the temperature of the mass inside your home.

If you understand this, you are going to save energy and prevent pipes from freezing inside your walls - if you don't then you are on your own.

Additionally, if you have any bathroom or kitchen sinks located upon exterior walls you need to leave one cabinet door beneath the sink open to keep room heat available to the plumbing underneath to prevent freezing pipes in those locations.

I offer this info as a precautionary measure to be employed only during severely cold weather and not something to be done all the time.

Old January 02, 2018, 21:39   #21
kfranz
Curio & Relic
Bronze Contributor

FALaholic #: 101
Quote:
Originally Posted by M90A1 View Post
Back to school from break today. Not sure what was amiss, but several classrooms stayed below 55* all day, and almost all were below 62.
kfranz is online now   Reply With Quote
Old January 03, 2018, 11:14   #22
MordeanGrey
Registered

FALaholic #: 457
If you want to add some moist, warm air to your home when it's dry with lots of static in the winter, just get a long, flexible plastic dryer vent hose and run it into a pillowcase in your living room.

A friend used to do that every time he ran the dryer in the winter to keep the humidity level up in their house.

It really works.
MordeanGrey is online now   Reply With Quote
Old January 03, 2018, 11:46   #23
meltblown
Registered
Bronze Contributor

FALaholic #: 34604
Keeping a house too tight will let the humidity rise due to the respiration of the occupants. I rented a house that was very tight. During the winter we would get condensation on the windows and walls in the bedroom and mold grew and migrated to the closets because of my wife and I sleeping with the door closed.

I can't see running a dryer vent into the living area. The perfume from the detergents in the washing powder is stinky and musty smelling. A gas dryer would open another can of worms. My laundry room is pretty much the same temp as the rest of the house though. The hotwater heater is located there.

Expect the worst, and you'll never be disappointed.

Before trying to beat the odds, make sure you can survive the odds beating you.
meltblown is online now   Reply With Quote
Old January 03, 2018, 11:48   #24
MordeanGrey
Registered

FALaholic #: 457
Quote:
Originally Posted by meltblown View Post
Keeping a house too tight will let the humidity rise due to the respiration of the occupants. I rented a house that was very tight. During the winter we would get condensation on the windows and walls in the bedroom and mold grew and migrated to the closets because of my wife and I sleeping with the door closed.

I can't see running a dryer vent into the living area. The perfume from the detergents in the washing powder is stinky and musty smelling. A gas dryer would open another can of worms.
It wasn't a gas dryer, and they used a wood stove, so the moisture wasn't too high to cause all of the condensation.
MordeanGrey is online now   Reply With Quote
Old January 03, 2018, 12:06   #25
yovinny
Registered

FALaholic #: 7679
Had a neighbor up in IL that had his drier vent line come apart and vent into the crawl space under his living/dining room, instead of outside.
This was in a split level and only those rooms were on a crawl space, the rest was 2 stories on a slab.
Adding all that moisture was bad news and the entire crawl space was covered with black mold when he finally found it....Foundation walls, floor joists, sub flooring, etc...MAJOR NIGHTMARE...
yovinny is online now   Reply With Quote
Old January 03, 2018, 12:20   #26
jhend170
Registered
Contributor

FALaholic #: 76477
jhend170 is online now   Reply With Quote