The FAL Files  

Go Back   The FAL Files > Discussion Forums > General Non-Firearms Discussion

Notices

Old January 01, 2018, 17:47   #1
ftierson
Registered

FALaholic #: 13827
Online Firearms Reviewers

Just curious about comments from the hive on online reviewers/personalities.

I regularly check Tim (MAC) and Mike (Mrgunsngear) because I trust their comments on firearms/accessories and commitment to the cause.

I also check Hickok45 because I enjoy watching him have fun...

Others...?

Forrest
ftierson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 01, 2018, 18:01   #2
Herr Walther
Registered

FALaholic #: 11681
No substitution for personal experience, but I like Hickok45. And I trust him too.

Others, not so much. Seems most have an agenda, bias, favoritism, or whatever you want to call it.
Old January 01, 2018, 18:27   #3
Timber Wolf
Registered

FALaholic #: 805
I watch Hickok and others on YouTube. Saw one today I started to blow off because of "profiling" the reviewer. Glad I didn't because he turned out to be quite entertaining and informative. Can't always judge the messenger by appearance alone.

"Guns don't kill people. Daddys with good looking daughters do!"
Timber Wolf is online now   Reply With Quote
Old January 01, 2018, 19:47   #4
VALMET
Curio & Relic
Bronze Contributor

FALaholic #: 1826
On the rare occasion I turn to an online reviewer, I enjoy Hickok.

"Dammit Smithers this is brain surgery, not rocket science!" -C. Montgomery Burns
VALMET is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 02, 2018, 07:14   #5
LYCAN
Registered

FALaholic #: 20840
Iraqveteran8888 is a decent one
LYCAN is online now   Reply With Quote
Old January 02, 2018, 09:51   #6
Thorack
Acquisition Corp Dude
Bronze Contributor

FALaholic #: 748
Well,

I try and view as many as possible, like with the CZ P-10c MAC says its the greatest striker fired pistol ever. Larry Vickers says its a flawed pistol from the factory and wont buy.

Great to get lots of opinions.

Thorack

2. Never let Doctors cut on you unless its life or death and ALWAYS get a second opinion.
Thorack is online now   Reply With Quote
Old January 02, 2018, 10:14   #7
Randall
Registered

FALaholic #: 4979
+1 on Hickok45.
I also watch Paul Harrell. I like the meat target he puts together, and how he tests various calibers.
Old January 02, 2018, 10:42   #8
def90
Registered
Bronze Contributor

FALaholic #: 50609
You always have to look at the back story behind the reviewer, there aren't too many independent guys out there that don't have a stake in something they are making a video about. MAC owns a gunshop and no matter how much he wants to be unbiased he's going to lean towards stuff he sells.. same with Vickers, he has his name on numerous special edition Glocks, he's not going to poo poo a Glock and is probably going to find fault with anything thats not a Glock. I believe Hockock was even getting free guns here and there, hard to crap on something someone gave you..
Old January 02, 2018, 10:55   #9
Impala_Guy
Registered

FALaholic #: 55819
MAC actually seems to review the most new stuff, and more on optics than the others. Hickock is fun to watch shoot stuff sometimes, but he spends a lot of time regurgitating facts about classic firearms most of us already know. IV8888 has some unique stuff that I like, such as his big bore revolvers video. Also watch Pete on The Armory Channel because he reminds me of the goombahs I grew up with in Philly and he makes no bones about being a working class guy and doesn’t pretend to be Ekmer Keith or a Navy SEAL (he has some good cooking videos too). Sootch00 and Deadwood Dick are worth a look too. I have my own "compound" like Hickok45, before YouTube stopped monetising gun videos I was thinking of starting my own channel.

Last edited by Impala_Guy; January 02, 2018 at 11:02.
Impala_Guy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old January 02, 2018, 11:17   #10
wanneroo
Registered

FALaholic #: 74891
Right now a big problem with the Youtubers is some have ended up as shill paid reviewers. There is one big one out there on the take, you can find his brochure online he was handing out at SHOT show with his price list for reviews and he'll even do reshoots if the gun doesn't do well.

Personally I do not mind sponsored reviews where ammo companies help out with ammo or gun shops supply guns because I know there are big costs in time and money to make these videos. What I do mind is someone presenting a video as an independent critical review when it's actually a paid for shill video and that fact isn't disclosed.

I also do not mind these Youtubers making a living from it at all. It's a full time job for some but "sponsored" content should be disclosed as such.
wanneroo is online now   Reply With Quote
Old January 02, 2018, 11:41   #11
Thorack
Acquisition Corp Dude
Bronze Contributor

wanneroo,

Spills the beans give me a link at least.

Thorack

2. Never let Doctors cut on you unless its life or death and ALWAYS get a second opinion.
Old January 02, 2018, 12:01   #12
ftierson
Registered

Quote:
Originally Posted by LYCAN View Post
Iraqveteran8888 is a decent one
I agree.

I just stumbled upon him about a month ago, led there by the MAC/IV8888 video on 5 top milsurps (which was good). It's hard to believe that I had not seen any of his stuff until then with all the stuff he has out there, but I followed him (IV8888) into a lot of his milsurp videos (Hakim, AG-42B, etc.) since I am a fan of all that stuff (hell, my very first rifle was a Swedish M94 carbine, followed next by a Venezuelan FN M1949).

I enjoyed his videos very much.

I should have mentioned him too...

Forrest
Old January 02, 2018, 13:55   #13
LYCAN
Registered

FALaholic #: 20840
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thorack View Post
wanneroo,

Thorack
agreed.

Please elaborate (who?), it will be appreciated.

thanks
LYCAN is online now   Reply With Quote
Old January 02, 2018, 16:44   #14
Illurian00
Registered

FALaholic #: 28599
In general, I'm not too impressed w/ youtube gun reviews.

Alot of young guys w/ relatively little experience. Watched a review comparing two different brands of .270 ammo in a new bolt gun. They were quite perplexed. One of the brands had shot good in another gun. But for this review, they couldn't get anything to group in a bushel basket. If they had bother to watch their own vid , they might notice they were flinching, one of them markedly so.
One 'vanity' vid extolling the virtues of the Reminton 7600. The gun was restocked by the fellows grand father, nice job, beautiful wood & checkering. He tells of it's reliability and accuracy, but shows no targets.
Another vid , again praising the Rem. 760, this fellow tells us the receiver is aluminium (duh !)
The ballistic gel tests have gotten old hat. You would think someone would insert a wood slat in there to approximate bone.
One guy testing a few different calibers of pistol ammo, did a good job, using pig heads for test medium.

Youtube, like so much else in life has become a clutter box of mediocrity.

To answer the OPs' original question, I don't really have a favorite. I usually look for something I might have developed an interest in, or browse till something strikes my fancy/

Also, at present, their appears to be a war going on between youtube firearms sites. Can anyone make heads or tails of that ?
Illurian00 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 02, 2018, 17:57   #15
Invictus77
1C 16:13
Bronze Contributor

FALaholic #: 74205
I really don't watch any often unless looking for something on a specific gun, and then usually whatever/whoever pops up in the first couple of search results that had a lot of views.

Having said that, I do think Hickok45 is entertaining and I have actually met him a couple of times. He seems like a genuinely good guy (despite his ridiculous preference for a Glock over a 1911 ) Something not obvious on the videos (at least to me) is how really big both he and his son John are. I'm guessing both are 6'5" or more.
Old January 02, 2018, 21:50   #16
wanneroo
Registered

Quote:
wanneroo,

Thorack
The information is out there and can be easily found online.
Old January 02, 2018, 22:53   #17
ftierson
Registered

Quote:
Originally Posted by wanneroo View Post
The information is out there and can be easily found online.
Well, then my search-fu must really suck...

Just sayin'...

Forrest
Old January 03, 2018, 06:20   #18
Thorack
Acquisition Corp Dude
Bronze Contributor

ftierson,

My Search-fu is pretty weak as well but there is this over on the dreaded ARF.com that sheds some light.

https://www.ar15.com/forums/General/...044572/?page=1

Thorack

Old January 03, 2018, 11:33   #19
ftierson
Registered

Quote:
ftierson,

My Search-fu is pretty weak as well but there is this over on the dreaded ARF.com that sheds some light.

https://www.ar15.com/forums/General/...044572/?page=1
Thanks.

Forrest
Old January 03, 2018, 17:01   #20
wanneroo
Registered

I'm not getting in the middle of it because I don't have a dog in the fight and lawyers got involved and all that.

But the information is out there and can be found and yes there are exact details to be found in terms of numeric figures. It's interesting reading.

I know from my own experiences what is involved in making a video so I fully appreciate that these guys need youtube ad revenue, Patreon, merchandise sales, sponsors, etc. if they are going to consistently crank out videos. As long as they are up front with their business arrangements, great. When they post a "review" and you think you are watching a bonafide honest review when really it's a pay for play advertisement, I don't like it at all. I think it's disingenuous.

Same shit goes on in the gun magazine world. I've heard figures for the front covers of different magazines and stuff like that. I remember opening up one rag last year, one of the writers is talking in his column about how XYZ's companies AR magazines are the best, then you turn the page and there is an advertisement with said writer pimping those magazines and then later in the magazine he writes an article about going on a hunting junket to Africa with said CEO of that AR magazine company. There isn't a whole lot of objectivity out there.

One of my favorite reviewers is Nutnfancy. I think he has some odd tastes in firearms and a weird obsession with cerakote, but lately he has been getting guns to review from a local gun shop in Utah and cut down the length of his reviews. Gun companies hate him because he does objective reviews and he seems one of the few that has not been corrupted by pay for play.
Old January 03, 2018, 23:02   #21
Bubacus
Registered

FALaholic #: 13971
I personally like Jeff over at Gunblast. Nice reviews, no heavy metal music or long winded commentary:

http://www.gunblast.com/
Old January 03, 2018, 23:40   #22
Black Blade
Registered

FALaholic #: 76490
Some are interesting and nice to see certain firearms. That said, most all these reviewers are compensated and likely to paint a biased positive review. No big deal as it's expected.