Interesting take on it.

http://www.freerepublic.com/focus/f-news/3618313/posts
Old December 31, 2017, 15:46   #2
2barearms
I really don't hate you..
Bronze Contributor

FALaholic #: 13866
No....but if I survive the coming apocalypse until 2020 I can collect $1,295.00
a month based on the stuff they sent me. It's going to depend on some level what you believe your life expectancy is. The initial difference is $62,000.00.
If you wait till I'm 66 it adds some but the difference to me isn't enough for me.

Was mich nicht umbringt macht mich stärker
2barearms is online now   Reply With Quote
Old December 31, 2017, 16:02   #3
Bawana jim
Registered

FALaholic #: 17482
I retired at 62 so I took it in the shorts. One thing they don't tell you is you can't buy medicare until you are 65. Fortunately I have been healthy. All the poisons and cancer causing crap I worked in I am lucky to be alive. Hoping to live long enough to break even on what my wife and I have paid in. She died at 58 and all she paid in was lost to the government.
Old December 31, 2017, 16:28   #4
kwthor
Veteran Member
Silver Contributor

FALaholic #: 49571
Thinking about this year as I turn 66.

I'm in good health and would like to wait 4 more years but not sure if it pencil's out.
Old December 31, 2017, 17:29   #5
Bawana jim
Registered

What never figures in is what it feels like to be free, that's worth a lot to me.
Old December 31, 2017, 17:59   #6
meltblown
Registered
Bronze Contributor

FALaholic #: 34604
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bawana jim View Post
What never figures in is what it feels like to be free, that's worth a lot to me.
It was somewhat sobering to realize that my full retirement isn't until 67. Shit I don't mind working. But damn these bastards have robbed from cradle to grave. Hoping in 5 yrs at 62 to do what I want. But when I think about that 14% I've paid the last 42 years, it boils my ass

Expect the worst, and you'll never be disappointed.

Before trying to beat the odds, make sure you can survive the odds beating you.
meltblown is online now   Reply With Quote
Old January 01, 2018, 07:48   #7
Deltaten
Registered

FALaholic #: 124
I was pretty much forced into early SSI. Well, I did the math and it worked out that I had /have to live past 76.3 yr. to hit the " break even" point between early/full benefits.
As they say; "Pays her money and takes her choice"
Old January 01, 2018, 08:25   #8
Thorack
Acquisition Corp Dude
Bronze Contributor

FALaholic #: 748
Well,

I'll be retiring from the Army this year after 21 years of service. I'll be 44 and expect to work until I die.

Thorack

2. Never let Doctors cut on you unless its life or death and ALWAYS get a second opinion.
Thorack is online now   Reply With Quote
Old January 01, 2018, 08:32   #9
Black Blade
Registered

FALaholic #: 76490
Going for full retirement and then work while collecting SS until 70 and then start drawing on my IRAs. Probably die a month later. Go figure ...
Old January 01, 2018, 09:40   #10
01BIRDDOG
Registered

FALaholic #: 54639
Sitting here now thinking how bad i hate going to work tomorrow. I am 71,own my own business but still haven't figured out how to do it. Too much work already here that has to be finished. Another good friend my age with LARGE dairy farm worrying about the same thing. It's a real problem believe me and i would think that someone working a job might not have when time is up. Comments and advise welcome.
01BIRDDOG is online now   Reply With Quote
Old January 01, 2018, 12:28   #11
Timber Wolf
Registered

FALaholic #: 805
My "plan" is to be financially able to retire at 62, 4 1/2 years from now. That is, I want it to be my decision to keep working and not have it made for me. Of course there are a lot of variables involved, who knows what the next 5 years might bring.

"Guns don't kill people. Daddys with good looking daughters do!"
Timber Wolf is online now   Reply With Quote
Old January 01, 2018, 12:49   #12
308/223shooter
FALAholic enabler
Gold Contributor

FALaholic #: 15405
I may have no choice. I've been labeled a "medical liability", which is a death stroke for someone in my profession. Sure, I could maybe land a middle management position, at even less money than I was earning, but the stigma follows you where ever you go.

The biggest problem with religion is those who claim to know Jesus, then turn around and deny Him with their lifestyle. That is what a unbelieving world, simply finds unbelievable.

Before you die, you should have a will with extra copies. The old saying "No one will screw you faster than family" is bloody well true.
308/223shooter is online now   Reply With Quote
Old January 01, 2018, 13:33   #13
Bawana jim
Registered

I had plans to retire along with everything we wanted to do. Saved the money and paid off everything figuring when my wife and I both retired we would have plenty to live off of and some for fun. It was a great plan until we hit 58 and she died of cancer.

So you move on and life is what it is, I changed my plan and wanted to work just because. Obama's managed decline made contracts few and far between and it came to the point at 62 I could take home just as much on my pensions and SS as I would working. No sense in working so I went to the boss and said goodbye and walked out a free man.

Not the retirement I wanted but as a free man I can't explain what free means. My one piece of advice is be adaptable to change.
Old January 01, 2018, 15:04   #14
martin35
un muy viejo gringo
Contributor
Bronze Contributor

FALaholic #: 2939
Social Security is vulnerable to drastic change,,, those changes are being discussed by politicians now,,, that does not bode well for future recipients.
Those already drawing SocSec probably won't see cuts but a new and "improved" program is very likely legislation.
SocSec was not designed to support generations of welfare recipients or destitute immigrants as it has done and shore up budgetary spending short falls... the money owed SocSec by the government will never be paid back and the actuarial insurance model that the program was modeled on was scraped many years ago,,, FDR's promise is just a vague memory.
Very few of my contemporaries lived to receive their SocSec or they died shortly after eligibility leaving their contributed surplus to the government,,, a government that is paying off sexual harassment suits to several hundred thousand redheaded chippies who have lodged complaints and will live to be a 100 and the healthy dependents of slaves who can't play professional sports and are 4th & 5th generation welfare teat suckers,,, do the math.
martin35 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 01, 2018, 17:12   #15
tac-40
Armed Curmudgeon

FALaholic #: 12090
I retired last year a couple of years earlier than planned. The body gave out first. Luckily for me, my retirement plan plus military retirement put me in a place where I was and still am, financially stable. So no early SS for me, yet. I still work at my LGS, but that was because my wife (also retired) told me to get out of the house and quit messing up her routine. So every two weeks, I sign over my check to the owner to pay for the stuff I bought.

Schools uses to start with the "three R's". Reading, writing, and arithmetic. Now they start with the "three D's". Dipshitery, Dumbassery, and Douchebaggery-Retired Bum

If you do in fact have a problem, you have the rest of your life to solve it. How long your life lasts only depends on how well you solve it.
tac-40 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old January 01, 2018, 17:44   #16
Douglas S Graham
Registered

FALaholic #: 19332
To make things simple, it all depends on how long you think you might live to. I'm going to be 62 shortly, and plan on taking it early, I want what I've been FORCED to pay into. I don't think I'll make it to 80, and I think the break even point for me is around 78. So, early makes more sense. Yes, you can make more by holding out, but I've been around too many friends who died in the last year, WAY before they should have, and didn't cash in on any SS bennies. And these folks were not abusers of any kind, just normal , average folks. Life is strange sometimes.
Douglas S Graham is online now   Reply With Quote
Old January 01, 2018, 17:47   #17
nvcdl
Registered

FALaholic #: 1312
I plan to take SS as soon as I'm 62.

Money today is better then money that may never come in down the road - and will be better able to enjoy it in 60s then in 70s.
nvcdl is online now   Reply With Quote
Old January 01, 2018, 17:48   #18
Bug Tussell
Silver Contributor

FALaholic #: 2872
I pulled the pin Oct 2016. Nov 2016 I turned 63 and started drawing SS then. Had I waited until age 66 then I would have deferred $120,000 approximately. Break even age I projected to be 77 or 78.

Factor in the wife's SS pay out at half of mine so I would have been looking at around $180,000 deferred during that time frame. Factor in inflation versus COLA and scratch your head, hold a finger in the wind, flip a coin and make your choice.

I'm not a patient man nor do I believe that my time here is much more than age 82 so I chose Present Value over Future Value.
Old January 01, 2018, 17:58   #19
Herr Walther
Registered

FALaholic #: 11681
My home will be paid off in five years and I retire the year after that at 62. I want out of this rat-race. I'm sick of it.

If I can repair the odd gun, computer, or antique clock on the side, so much the better, but I'm done with corporate America.
Old January 01, 2018, 19:18   #20
Sagerider
Curio & Relic
Silver Contributor

FALaholic #: 66564
I retired in June of 2016 at 66.7 years old and loving it. I was not able to deal with working any more so time to get out and do something else. Work sucks!
Yea sure it was all good and I had a very interesting and rewarding career but when it is time to go away you will know it. I could have continued until I hit 70 but decided it would be better to go out with my mental health still some what still intact.
A few things I can tell you about retiring;

1. Get everything paid off before you pull the pin, house, truck and stuff like that there.
2. Work as long as you can.
3. $100.00 is a lot of money when you retire, specially if you used to wipe your ass with $100.00 bills.
4. I wish I had saved more but I have lots of toys to play with and the time now to do it.
5. If your health is not all that great keep working until you no longer can.
6. Don’t count on living to 75, chances are you will live to 90+ specially if your attitude is good and your healthy.
7. Being old and broke really sucks ass!
8. Make sure you have something in your life that inspires you like a hobbie that never gets old and gets your lazy ass out of the house, like fishing.
9. Avoid dangerous stuff, you are no longer bullet proof.
10. Enjoy every day and those around you whether they have four legs or two. I really love my two dogs and my cat. They surprise me every day with how smart they really are.

Matthew 25:1 thru 25:10 Be ready!

The written word sometimes like poetry is never really finished but merely abandoned.

I live alone in the middle of nowhere with two dogs and a cat, what do you think about that.

The wind blows, the rain falls, the flag snaps its bravery in the dark as two dogs boil for attention at my feet.

Of course it is a true story. You just couldn't make up something like that, no way.
Sagerider is online now   Reply With Quote
Old January 01, 2018, 20:48   #21
Gary Harwell
Becoming Embittered
Silver Contributor

FALaholic #: 39460
Working till 70, get a good payday, close to $3400/mo.,knowing the payday will be gradually reduced by medicare and supplemental premiums.. Plan to work past 70 limited scale to supplement what .gov will take away at some point. Too many working old timers, 80s, tell me work as long as you can, you'll live longer. I have seen a lot of early retirees give it up a couple years after retirement. Until the 1940s- 50s ,the majority of the population worked until they died. Been a workaholic since I was 15. Wouldn't know how to relax anyway.
Gary Harwell is online now   Reply With Quote
Old January 02, 2018, 08:52   #22
alphadog58
Registered

FALaholic #: 9405
Am 64 and having fun doing what I'm doing. Health is good, have a recession proof profession, nice check, not real hard work but enough challenges every day to keep me interested. Can work here til I don't want to work anymore. I plan on going to at least 70 but not setting any dates.
Larry
Old January 02, 2018, 11:10   #23
Bug Tussell
Silver Contributor

FALaholic #: 2872
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gary Harwell View Post
Working till 70, get a good payday, close to $3400/mo.,knowing the payday will be gradually reduced by medicare and supplemental premiums.. Plan to work past 70 limited scale to supplement what .gov will take away at some point. Too many working old timers, 80s, tell me work as long as you can, you'll live longer. I have seen a lot of early retirees give it up a couple years after retirement. Until the 1940s- 50s ,the majority of the population worked until they died. Been a workaholic since I was 15. Wouldn't know how to relax anyway.
I quit working outside of the farm when I retired but the farm doesn't have a retirement plan. Lots of things here to keep me busy for quite awhile. The downside is that guns and stereo stuff, which I like very much, take a backseat to other priorities.
Old January 02, 2018, 11:29   #24
Gary Harwell
Becoming Embittered
Silver Contributor

FALaholic #: 39460
Yes, reprioritizing gun collection only bought three in Dec.Not sure if I could withstand withdrawl if I quit now. But safe queens are getting booted to stock up on things i wont be able to afford in a couple of years after retirement.It can suck to get old.

Last edited by Gary Harwell; January 02, 2018 at 18:21.
Gary Harwell is online now   Reply With Quote
Old January 02, 2018, 11:59   #25
TenTea
Registered
Contributor

FALaholic #: 72247
Quote:
Are you going to retire this year?
Nope, not a chance...well, excluding MegaMillions and/or PowerBall.
Wife's favorite color: glitter
TenTea is online now   Reply With Quote
Old January 05, 2018, 00:30   #26
martin35
un muy viejo gringo
Contributor
Bronze Contributor

FALaholic #: 2939
Are you going to retire this year
Yes this will make my 21st retirement
My 1st year was for a severe case of diabetic retinopathy that left me blind for almost 4 months,,, each year since I been blessed with a compounding ailment and excuse for sitting on my ass and clipping coupons from the government,,, no bodies' got it better'n me,,, according to my 20 years younger wife whose the secret of my longevity,,, if she ever goes I'm in big trouble.
martin35 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 05, 2018, 11:30   #27
justashooter
Registered

FALaholic #: 5967
Quote:
Originally Posted by martin35 View Post
Are you going to retire this year
Yes this will make my 21st retirement
don't go anywhere gringo. we need you here.
If the concept of heading on down to the local Home Depot and transforming $100 worth of random pipe bits into a killing machine doesn’t appeal to you, you’re a frikkin' pansy. Also, you’re probably sane and will live significantly longer than I will.

Nonetheless you disgust me, and I take comfort in the knowledge that your obituary will be nowhere near as humorous as mine.

The next time I hear "THE RANGE IS NOW HOT", it just wont be the same.

Max tried another question. "What sort of people live about here?"
"In THAT direction," the Jin said, waving its right paw round, "lives a Han: And in THAT direction," waving the other paw, "lives a Ming Hare. Visit either you like: they're both mad."
"But I don't want to go among mad people," Max remarked.
"Oh, you can't help that," said the Jin: "we're all mad here. I'm mad. You're mad."
"How do you know I'm mad?" said Max.
"You must be," said the Jin, "or you wouldn't have come here."
justashooter is online now   Reply With Quote
Old January 05, 2018, 13:52   #28
ncjeeper
Registered

FALaholic #: 65663
Yes I am. Retire May 1st. Got my 30 years in. Time to do something else in a part time capacity.