Bronze Contributor

FALaholic #: 7091
why im asking/ the new flashider i have is painted
Old December 30, 2017, 13:18   #3
lockjaw
Piggie Lips
Bronze Contributor

FALaholic #: 64904
Original would have been a very dark blued... almost black.

In regard to what would be "correct," considering the history and places these rifles ended up, your options are endless. Heck, a coat of yellow varnish might even suffice if you have seen some of the gawd awful Turkish kits from back in the day.
lockjaw is online now   Reply With Quote
Old December 30, 2017, 14:02   #4
OLDMANPBK
Veteran Member
Silver Contributor

FALaholic #: 69978
Here's an early G1 receiver with the original dark blueing.

"Is life so dear, or peace so sweet, as to be purchased at the price of chains and slavery?"
-Patrick Henry-

Inside every progressive is a totalitarian screaming to get out.
OLDMANPBK is online now   Reply With Quote
Old December 31, 2017, 00:01   #5
Lee Carpentieri
Old Fart
Silver Contributor

FALaholic #: 4936
G-1's

The G-1 Contract was phosphated, Then painted with a strong Black synthetic Lacquer paint. The BGS/Border guards Fals might have been blacken/Blued.

This comes from one of my Former FN Mentors that worked at FN Herstal from 1950 to 1980. He was a Cuban born and left Cuba in 1949 and went to Belgium to escape the Batisa regime. Went to work at FN sweeping floors and then worked his way up in the Military weapons division. He had all the certificates from FNH to prove who he was and there was allot of them. He had told me about how FN produced an assault weapon from start to finish.He passed away in 1999.
Old December 31, 2017, 13:56   #6
OLDMANPBK
Veteran Member
Silver Contributor

FALaholic #: 69978
Uncoated park can look pretty good too if you don't mind something that's not correct.

"Is life so dear, or peace so sweet, as to be purchased at the price of chains and slavery?"
-Patrick Henry-

Inside every progressive is a totalitarian screaming to get out.
OLDMANPBK is online now   Reply With Quote
Old December 31, 2017, 14:23   #7
TraFALgar
Registered

FALaholic #: 4366
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lee Carpentieri View Post
The G-1 Contract was phosphated, Then painted with a strong Black synthetic Lacquer paint.
Proof of this is evident on the unserialized G1 lowers available from TAPCO back in the day. They were NOS still in “mummy wrap”; they were definitely paint over park.
Old December 31, 2017, 14:29   #8
gearlogo
Registered

FALaholic #: 5576
Quote:
Originally Posted by TraFALgar View Post
Proof of this is evident on the unserialized G1 lowers available from TAPCO back in the day. They were NOS still in “mummy wrap”; they were definitely paint over park.
I have one of those. Paint over park for sure.
gearlogo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 31, 2017, 15:12   #9
def90
Registered
Silver Contributor

FALaholic #: 50609
I believe there have been examples here that were blued.
Old December 31, 2017, 17:44   #10
Abominog
Registered

FALaholic #: 372
It’s so nice when everyone is correct. Earliest were blued. Most parked. Spares were paint over park.

I have not been able to confirm that later rifles were painted thought the BGS C was.
They will live a long time, these men of the South Pacific. They, like their victories, will be remembered as long as our generation lives. Longer and longer shadows will obscure them, until their Guadalcanal sounds distant on the ear like Shiloh and Valley Forge. --- Michener, Tales of the South Pacific

Tempus Edax Rerum
Abominog is online now   Reply With Quote
Old December 31, 2017, 18:51   #11
reks2
Registered

FALaholic #: 2260
I was told by an FN trained armorer that the original G1's were blued but they began rusting in the storage depots so later ones were paint over park.

If you look at the dates on the replacement G1 parts e.g. from TAPCO, you'll see that those dates were in the 1960's, after the initial contract was complete and FN decided to go to the paint over park.
Old January 01, 2018, 14:11   #12
CQB27
Registered

FALaholic #: 80223
Anybody have any idea what color paint to use to paint a DSA parked upper to match a NOS paint over park G1 lower?
CQB27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 02, 2018, 12:19   #13
lew
Registered
Bronze Contributor

FALaholic #: 16727
Quote:
Originally Posted by CQB27 View Post
Anybody have any idea what color paint to use to paint a DSA parked upper to match a NOS paint over park G1 lower?
I've used Rustoleum 7777. It is an excellent match to the factory paint.

There is not a problem that government cannot make worse.
lew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 02, 2018, 14:12   #14
CQB27
Registered

Quote:
Originally Posted by lew View Post
I've used Rustoleum 7777. It is an excellent match to the factory paint.
Thank you sir!
Old January 02, 2018, 14:49   #15
4markk
Military Observer
Gold Contributor

FALaholic #: 31134
If you want heat, solvent and chip resistance ......

For metric pattern:
Dupli-Color DE1634 Ceramic GM/Chrysler Low Gloss Black Engine Paint, then bake at 350 degrees for 1 hour.

For inch pattern:
Dupli-Color DE1635 Ceramic Ford Semi-Gloss Black Engine Paint, then bake at 350 degrees for 1 hour.

“The worst thing about growing old is that other men stop seeing you as dangerous.” Act Of Valor

"A wise man gets more use from his enemies than a fool from his friends." Socrates
4markk is online now   Reply With Quote
Old January 02, 2018, 15:36   #16
CQB27
Registered

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4markk View Post
If you want heat, solvent and chip resistance ......

For metric pattern:
Dupli-Color DE1634 Ceramic GM/Chrysler Low Gloss Black Engine Paint, then bake at 350 degrees for 1 hour.

For inch pattern:
Dupli-Color DE1635 Ceramic Ford Semi-Gloss Black Engine Paint, then bake at 350 degrees for 1 hour.
I appreciate the info! Will baking indoors, like in the kitchen with the windows open and the attic fan on high, send me or the family into a coma or make my wife want to kill me, lol. In other words, how bad will it stink.

Last edited by CQB27; January 02, 2018 at 15:46.
Old January 02, 2018, 15:39   #17
gunplumber
Arrogant Bastard
Gold Contributor

FALaholic #: 96
Quote:
Originally Posted by OLDMANPBK View Post
Here's an early G1 receiver with the original dark blueing.

That's not bluing, that's paint over park

Only ones I've seen blued were repaired StG (conversion to the short gas tube), will also have more obnoxious brazing.

Some parts blued, yes - hinge pins, carriers (although may be black oxide)
Old January 02, 2018, 17:13   #18
4markk
Military Observer
Gold Contributor

FALaholic #: 31134
Quote:
I appreciate the info! Will baking indoors, like in the kitchen with the windows open and the attic fan on high, send me or the family into a coma or make my wife want to kill me, lol. In other words, how bad will it stink.
The fumes are minimal from the paint. The two main issues:
1) grease/oils inside the lower will start to melt and burn. Depending how much there is will add to the fumes.
2) as the solvents bake off, they will remain in the oven. You should run the oven through a cleaning cycle before using it for food. OR you can use an outside grill. This paint is not too heat sensitive, so although you won't have as much temperature control with the grill, it really isn't needed.

NOTE: Before curing, as the paint heats up it will get soft, so make sure the painted surface is not touching anything. You will need to suspend it totally.

“The worst thing about growing old is that other men stop seeing you as dangerous.” Act Of Valor

"A wise man gets more use from his enemies than a fool from his friends." Socrates
4markk is online now   Reply With Quote
Old January 02, 2018, 19:28   #19
Invictus77
1C 16:13
Bronze Contributor

FALaholic #: 74205
Quote:
Someone on here I trust (possibly G3isMe but I would not swear to that,)stated that if you let the new paint sit for a couple of days before baking in the oven, the smell/fumes are much less, and the end result is the same.

I saved that in my notes as I have a couple I need to do, but I have no personal experience with it. I did save it as it was a comment from someone I trust tho....
Old January 02, 2018, 20:12   #20
G3isMe
Registered
Bronze Contributor

FALaholic #: 6530
Quote:
Originally Posted by Invictus77 View Post
Someone on here I trust (possibly G3isMe but I would not swear to that,)stated that if you let the new paint sit for a couple of days before baking in the oven, the smell/fumes are much less, and the end result is the same.

I saved that in my notes as I have a couple I need to do, but I have no personal experience with it. I did save it as it was a comment from someone I trust tho....
It could have came from me as I do let my parts sit for at least 48 hours before I cure them in the oven. The smell/fumes are minimal and I have yet to have a complaint from the little woman. And trust me, she would let me know if there was an issue. I use the Duplicolor 1634 for Imbels and was wondering if that would look correct for a G1. If 4markk says it matches I trust him. LOL, I'm actually red-green color blind so I have difficulty discerning subtle shades of some colors.....If you are riding with me and I ask you what color that flashing light is up ahead I highly recommend that you tell me.....

p.s. I hang most of my parts on the oven rack with wire when curing. The stub was on this barrel hand tight to faciltate handling. I have since been able to fit a barrel and receiver in the oven with a little wrangling so I can barrel and headspace before painting.

Attached Images
File Type: jpg Oven Parts-2.jpg (79.6 KB, 71 views)

Last edited by G3isMe; January 02, 2018 at 20:29.
G3isMe is online now   Reply With Quote