Go Back   The FAL Files > News & Political Discussion > Police Issues

Notices

Old December 30, 2017, 05:00   #1
Black Blade
Registered

FALaholic #: 76490
Kansas man killed by police in ‘swatting’ gone horribly wrong

Kansas man killed by police in ‘swatting’ gone horribly wrong

Police in Wichita, Kansas shot and killed a man after being sent to a wrong address by a false report of a hostage situation known as “swatting.” The hoax call reportedly resulted from a feud between two video gamers.

“As he came to the front door, one of our officers discharged his weapon,” Livingston said. Andrew Finch, 28, died at the local hospital. He was unarmed.

Continued: https://www.rt.com/usa/414596-kansas...WYJTE.facebook

Oops!
Old December 30, 2017, 05:07   #2
Black Blade
Registered

FALaholic #: 76490
Cops 1,400 miles away in Los Angeles on Friday arrested 25-year-old Tyler Barriss in connection to the deadly prank, an LAPD rep said. Back in 2015, a 22-year-old man with the same name was arrested in Southern California for allegedly phoning in phony bomb threats to a local TV studio.

The Eagle newspaper of Wichita said the fake call stemmed from a feud over “Call of Duty.” Gaming-industry news site Dexerto reported the argument was over a $1 or $2 bet.

Continued: https://nypost.com/2017/12/29/prank-...share=facebook
Old December 30, 2017, 08:09   #3
kfranz
Curio & Relic
Bronze Contributor

FALaholic #: 101
Be a shame if somebody pranked the prankster by bumping him into a chipper.
kfranz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 30, 2017, 08:21   #4
Thorack
Acquisition Corp Dude
Bronze Contributor

FALaholic #: 748
Well,

The family will never get justice from the cops. The negligent discharge cop needs his ass kicked by his peers.

Thorack

2. Never let Doctors cut on you unless its life or death and ALWAYS get a second opinion.
Thorack is online now   Reply With Quote
Old December 30, 2017, 09:19   #5
moonbat60
Registered

FALaholic #: 17000
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thorack View Post
Well,

The family will never get justice from the cops. The negligent discharge cop needs his ass kicked by his peers.

Thorack
I would have expected a better (more qualified) statement from you.

Judging the situation before all the facts are known is just uncalled for.
moonbat60 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old December 30, 2017, 10:58   #6
wanneroo
Registered

FALaholic #: 74891
Enough facts are known that both the cop and the pranker need to face hard time or the death penalty.

It's funny that people urge us not to rush to judgment when that's exactly what the cops did and they killed an innocent man for nothing. Imagine getting blown away by answering your door.
wanneroo is online now   Reply With Quote
Old December 30, 2017, 11:00   #7
wanneroo
Registered

Quote:
Originally Posted by kfranz View Post
Seems reasonable to me.
Old December 30, 2017, 12:58   #8
4x401
Giver of Noogies...
Silver Contributor

FALaholic #: 31978
This needs moved to the police section.
Old December 30, 2017, 13:27   #9
Thorack
Acquisition Corp Dude
Bronze Contributor

Moonbat 60,

I can read, ”Deputy Police Chief Troy Livingston told the Wichita Eagle. When officers arrived to the 1000 block of McCormick Street, a man came to the front door. As he came to the front door, one of our officers discharged his weapon.”

Facts: the man was unarmed, now dead, and was killed by Police. He cant be brought back to life. The state, "may try", to give the family justice but being that he cant be brought back to life, whatever the state gives the family will be an imposter of justice.

Thorack

2. Never let Doctors cut on you unless its life or death and ALWAYS get a second opinion.

Last edited by Thorack; December 30, 2017 at 13:41.
Old December 30, 2017, 13:37   #10
V guy
Dinosaur
Silver Contributor

FALaholic #: 10282
Put the cop on trial, just like in the other incident.

It is possible in this case, after the unarmed victim put his hands up and down that the cop took matters into his own hands, like the other shooting.

It may be that the jury will let the cop go, after hearing all the details, but he should sweat hard, as should the city, for the pending lawsuits.

Sounds like the right address, but at least the cops did not kill everyone inside to make sure, as the caller intended.

Better safe than sorry. Why did not the cops kill everyone inside?..............the whole world wonders. It may be the rest of the swat squad will be fired over this gross mis-malfunction to shoot everyone.
V guy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old December 30, 2017, 13:37   #11
garandguy10
Registered

FALaholic #: 10840
Quote:
Originally Posted by wanneroo View Post
Enough facts are known that both the cop and the pranker need to face hard time or the death penalty.

It's funny that people urge us not to rush to judgment when that's exactly what the cops did and they killed an innocent man for nothing. Imagine getting blown away by answering your door.

And Cops wonder why us regular non-special people distrust them......
garandguy10 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old December 30, 2017, 15:57   #12
Story
Registered

FALaholic #: 7638
Quote:
Do you have a newsletter?

Story is online now   Reply With Quote
Old December 30, 2017, 16:03   #13
lockjaw
Not a gimp RR 11B40 B4
Bronze Contributor

FALaholic #: 64904
Typical lemmings, passing judgement based solely upon the words of a media source.
lockjaw is online now   Reply With Quote
Old December 30, 2017, 16:07   #14
Thorack
Acquisition Corp Dude
Bronze Contributor

Well,

It also has direct quotes from the deputy police chief, lemmings or not. Happy New Year.

Thorack

Old December 30, 2017, 16:07   #15
Jolly Rodgers
Registered

FALaholic #: 15882
Quote:
Originally Posted by lockjaw View Post
Typical lemmings, passing judgement based solely upon the words of a media source.
The body cam footage has been released. Cops need to fry for this murder.
Jolly Rodgers is online now   Reply With Quote
Old December 30, 2017, 16:14   #16
wanneroo
Registered

Quote:
Did you see the police video? It's a straight up execution.
Old December 30, 2017, 17:57   #17
lockjaw
Not a gimp RR 11B40 B4
Bronze Contributor

I did see the video (body cam, from another officer, who was posted a good 30+ yards away)? I didn't see anything that suggested an "execution."

The officers were responding to a man who shot another person in the head, and was holding other family members hostage at gunpoint.

I did see the guy on the porch repeatedly raise his arms up and down, from what his waist region, after he was clearly instructed to raise his arms.

The officer who pulled the trigger had zero cover and concealment, not did he have eyes on the left side or arm of the person on the porch, as the officer was angled to the right of the porch (porch facing the camera). We don't know what the officer actually observed.

I was not in the officer's shoes who pulled the trigger, neither was anyone here. Would anyone else have reacted differently? Nobody actually knows for a fact how they would react. The average citizen would not put themselves in that situation, but a police officer is expected to. Police officers have been shot and killed for not making that split decision. Police officers have also made mistakes in situations such as this. Either way, it is extremely tragic and sad.

Believe it or not, police officers are human beings. I don't know, nor I have ever met, a fellow police officer who puts on their uniform and steps out the door with the intention of hurting or killing anyone. Police officers care about their community. They also have families and kids to go home to every day. I find it unfortunate that such a large segment of our society is quick to chastise those who have sworn to protect them.

The officer will, without doubt, live with the repercussions of his actions....
Old December 30, 2017, 18:14   #18
Thorack
Acquisition Corp Dude
Bronze Contributor

Lockjaw,

So I think what you're saying is if a cop feels nervous around you because he cant see your hands he gets to shoot you?

Thorack

Last edited by Thorack; December 30, 2017 at 20:06.
Old December 30, 2017, 18:31   #19
Wil-C
Registered

FALaholic #: 17357
Quote:
Lockjaw,

So I think what your saying is if a cop feels nervous around you because he cant see your hands he gets to shoot you?

Thorack
that would be the logical conclusion of the excuse they try to sell, however don't ever expect any of them to admit this.
In addition to the lie of "follow simple directions and you won't get shot" Being surprised on one's own front porch by a small army of armed individuals and being screamed at via gunpoint is not "simple directions" Despite again the effort of them to sell this excuse.
Same pattern of escalation as the hallway.
Old December 30, 2017, 18:31   #20
Right Side Up
Old Fart
Silver Contributor

FALaholic #: 43
When a man with a gun tells you to put your hands up , you put your hands up, regardless if it's a cop or a robber. Sorry to see an innocent man die.
Right Side Up is online now   Reply With Quote
Old December 30, 2017, 18:50   #21
Thorack
Acquisition Corp Dude
Bronze Contributor

Hmmmm,

So in the future in my Police interactions I just need to say, "Handcuff me now so you dont shoot me."

Thorack

Old December 30, 2017, 18:54   #22
longhair51
Constitutional curmudgeon
Silver Contributor

FALaholic #: 5884
Quote:
Would anyone else have reacted differently?
It looks like every officer on the scene, except this one, reacted differently.

”if the federal government treats the American public with this degree of contempt when we’re armed to the teeth, imagine how they would treat us if they had all our guns."
longhair51 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old December 30, 2017, 18:57   #23
Right Side Up
Old Fart
Silver Contributor

Quote:
Hmmmm,

So in the future in my Police interactions I just need to say, "Handcuff me now so you dont shoot me."

Thorack
You're just being silly. If a gun is pointed at you do what the man says. If you try to argue , the result will likely be bad.
Old December 30, 2017, 19:10   #24
Thorack
Acquisition Corp Dude
Bronze Contributor

RSU,

You are correct, listen to folks pointing guns at you, and I'm not being silly. I'm making sure the officer isnt worried about my hands, so I can have a conversation with the cop without being shot.

Ive seen several families machine gunned in Iraq because Soldiers treat every car like a possible VBIED. The driver didnt understand the warning shot or hand signals with a tragic outcome. That was in a warzone though where we were attacked daily with mortars, small arms, and IEDs.

Thorack

Old December 30, 2017, 19:12   #25
4x401
Giver of Noogies...
Silver Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by longhair51 View Post
It looks like every officer on the scene, except this one, reacted differently.
Astute observation...
Old December 30, 2017, 19:16   #26
mutter
Registered

FALaholic #: 22871
Quote:
Hmmmm,

Thorack
yes /s

I saw the video of the hall way and that cop clearly murdered that man. I haven't seen the video on this 1 so I don't know.
mutter is online now   Reply With Quote
Old December 30, 2017, 19:20   #27
4x401
Giver of Noogies...
Silver Contributor

I just read they arrested the prankster in Cali. Hope he gets several years of HARD prison time.
Old December 30, 2017, 19:26   #28
Thorack
Acquisition Corp Dude
Bronze Contributor

4x401,

From the a'hole swatter, “I DIDNT GET ANYONE KILLED BECAUSE I DIDNT DISCHARGE A WEAPON AND BEING A SWAT MEMBER ISNT MY PROFESSION,”.

I hope you're correct in that he gets hard time, but I also dont think his statement is wrong.

Thorack

Old December 30, 2017, 19:47   #29
4x401
Giver of Noogies...
Silver Contributor

Quote:
but I also dont think his statement is wrong.
Thorack
You won't get any argument from me on that.

But the fact is that "Pranksters" actions certainly Helped facilitate the death of an innocent person. That's at least manslaughter IMHO, and would send a good message to others contemplating such nonsense.
Old December 30, 2017, 20:31   #30
Right Side Up
Old Fart
Silver Contributor

Fox is saying the victim wasn't even a gamer and was not the guy the prankster intended to call the cops on. It just gets better and better.
Old December 30, 2017, 20:51   #31
brunop
Refresh Key Masher
Gold Contributor

FALaholic #: 17136
Quote:
Originally Posted by 4x401 View Post
This needs moved to the police section.
Ask, and ye shall receive.
"How we burned in the prison camps later thinking: what would things have been like if every security operative, when he went out at night to make an arrest, had been uncertain whether he would return alive and had to say good-bye to his family? Or if during periods of mass arrests people had simply not sat there in their lairs, paling with terror at every step on the staircase, but had understood they had nothing to lose and had boldly set up in the downstairs hall an ambush of half a dozen people with axes, ham- mers, pokers, or whatever else was at hand. . . . The Organs [police] would very quickly have suffered a shortage of officers . . . and notwithstanding all of Stalin‘s thirst, the cursed machine would have ground to a halt." - A. Solzhenitsyn, Gulag Archipelago
brunop is online now   Reply With Quote
Old December 30, 2017, 21:16   #32
kfranz
Curio & Relic
Bronze Contributor

b
Quote:
4x401,

From the a'hole swatter, “I DIDNT GET ANYONE KILLED BECAUSE I DIDNT DISCHARGE A WEAPON AND BEING A SWAT MEMBER ISNT MY PROFESSION,”.

I hope you're correct in that he gets hard time, but I also dont think his statement is wrong.

Thorack
He's right, he isn't a SWAT member, and I'm sure he had no intention of the vic getting dead-ed. But when you play stupid games, you often win stupid prizes. So, I hope the guy who accidentally bumps him into the chipper grabs his wallet first, and that every fugking dollar in it, along with every dollar he has tied up in his stupid fugking gaming shit gets given to the victims family, and that they in turn donate a quarter of it to the guy that pushes him into the chipper and another quarter to the next guy that chips a SWAT'er. Fugking low life losers...
Old December 30, 2017, 21:22   #33
Jaxxas
Don't Tread On Me!
Bronze Contributor

FALaholic #: 34933
Quote:
Did you see the police video? It's a straight up execution.
I seen a video from some distance away, certainly didn't look like an execution from where I sit. Looks like the dude didn't follow orders.

And if the FBI is saying there are 400 'swatting' calls a year I don't understand why any unsubstantiated phone call is a reason to go nutso and go in with guns blazing. What's the policy here? We know that the police legally have NO requirement to protect citizens. Is there no other response but to put the police in a me or them situation? Most (I'm sure Wichita does..) bigger police depts have up armored swat vehicles, go investigate, drive the fuker up to the door and talk to the people inside.

Please discuss, EC would love it.....

A golf course is a complete waste of a good rifle range. Jarhead
Jaxxas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 30, 2017, 21:25   #34
AliYahu
Registered

FALaholic #: 11084
Cop murdered the dead guy, period - and needs to go to prison for Manslaughter. There is no possible justification for killing him, he was 30+ yards away with no visible weapon.
As for the 'swatter' - he needs to be tried under whatever the maximum possible murder statute is. It'd be nice to see him executed - unlikely - but that stick being forcibly sodomized the rest of his AIDS-shortened life will likely have to do.

Eli
AliYahu is online now   Reply With Quote
Old December 30, 2017, 21:28   #35
kfranz
Curio & Relic
Bronze Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Story View Post
Do you have a newsletter?

Nah, just an occasional surly disposition. Your picture of a chipper does not please me, I was thinking more like
Old December 30, 2017, 22:02   #36
Registered

FALaholic #: 348
i got swatted once. i was shooting just outside town and a mountain biker i knew ride up, we talked, and i asked him if he would like to shoot, he declined and rode off.
about 30 minutes later 9 popo cars showed up about 400 yards away. they were looking at me , i had my 2 young kids with me, and i was looking at them. this was right after a local policeman, Larry Brian Mitchell was killed, i eventually loaded up the kids and drove over and asked why the get together.
i was told someone called the popo , a bike rider, and said i was shooting at him with a rifle and the popo responded in force. i told them what happened & they were cool & the incident ended.
the next day i went to the bike shop & asked the biker & shop owner w. t. f. he said he didn't like guns or people shooting where he liked to ride which is also where people have been shooting since the 1800's.
i told him there are a lot of shooters around here who would feel very unhappy about being hassled by a slack jawed bike ridin dip shiite and it could be very lonely out there if an untoward accident ever happened. he moved soon afterwards.
0302 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 30, 2017, 22:23   #37
OLDMANPBK
Veteran Member
Silver Contributor

FALaholic #: 69978
Denninger's take on it.
https://market-ticker.org/akcs-www?post=232726

Anyone remember The Exterminator?

"Is life so dear, or peace so sweet, as to be purchased at the price of chains and slavery?"
-Patrick Henry-

Inside every progressive is a totalitarian screaming to get out.
OLDMANPBK is online now   Reply With Quote
Old December 30, 2017, 22:37   #38
Impala_Guy
Registered

FALaholic #: 55819
I can't believe anyone in this thread thinks that it's ok for a government agent to come to your home, with no warrant, point a gun at you, and if you get shot it's your fault for not doing as you are told.

One things for sure, the heathen dipshit from California is going to be getting his prostate massaged by Dontavius in the shower for the next few years.
Old December 30, 2017, 22:47   #39
kfranz
Curio & Relic
Bronze Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Impala_Guy View Post
I can't believe anyone in this thread thinks that it's ok for a government agent to come to your home, with no warrant, point a gun at you, and if you get shot it's your fault for not doing as you are told.

One things for sure, the heathen dipshit from California is going to be getting his prostate massaged by Dontavius in the shower for the next few years.
He needs to be enrolled in the Christopher Scarver school of janitorial skills. That class lasts the rest of your life.
Old December 30, 2017, 23:33   #40
Story
Registered

Quote:
Your picture of a chipper does not please me, I was thinking more like
Having pondered a bit, I've concluded you're short-sighted.

Far better that the guilty gamer be handed over to Chinese doctors for parting-out. Those organs bring good cash money.
Old December 30, 2017, 23:46   #41
Story
Registered

Not the first time this nonsense has happened in Wichita
http://www.kwch.com/content/news/Nei...467245613.html
Old December 31, 2017, 00:47   #42
Tak
Registered

FALaholic #: 27291
The entire command personnel structure of that department and SWAT group should be at the very least fired.

Is their leadership so #$%ing stupid that an unsubstantiated accusation causes them to deploy their whole SWAT team to a residence with (I presume) no history of trouble against residents with (I presume) zero criminal record, and go in guns blazing with no intelligence gathering whatsoever? I guess if you're a total dumbshit you can get a job in their SWAT command out there.

Its the keystone cops but with machine guns and masks.

Lengthy prison sentences are in order for many of these SWAT guys and a life sentence for the guy who made the phone call.
Tak is online now   Reply With Quote
Old December 31, 2017, 00:59   #43
Right Side Up
Old Fart
Silver Contributor

It's the smaller cities/towns that you usually see this in.
Old December 31, 2017, 04:59   #44
lockjaw
Not a gimp RR 11B40 B4
Bronze Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Impala_Guy View Post
Nobody said that the officer who pulled the trigger was righteous in regard to his actions.

Based upon the poor quality video, the argument that the officer "murdered" anyone is asinine. What IS apparent, is the fact that the person on the porch repeatedly dropped and raised his arms, despite te fact that he was instructed to keep his arms raised by armed police officers.

Basically, if my wife called the cops because someone broke into my home, the cops need a search warrant before they can come to my home, and shouldn't have the right to point a weapon at the suspected intruder as he attempted to exit my home. That, again, is asinine.

The event was tragic. I feel for the officer who pulled the trigger. If he made a mistake he will be held responsible by his department. That repercussions from the department will likely pale in comparison to the guilt the officer will live with for the rest of his life, righteous shooting or otherwise.
Old December 31, 2017, 12:01   #45
raubvogel
Registered
Contributor

FALaholic #: 64403
Quote:
Ive seen several families machine gunned in Iraq because Soldiers treat every car like a possible VBIED. The driver didnt understand the warning shot or hand signals with a tragic outcome. That was in a warzone though where we were attacked daily with mortars, small arms, and IEDs.
Did the commanding officers bother to train the soldiers on using commands and hand signals the locals understand?
raubvogel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 31, 2017, 12:52   #46
Jolly Rodgers
Registered

FALaholic #: 15882
They ordered him to raise his hands. He did. They ordered him to walk towards them. He reached to open the screen door latch so he could comply. They executed him for simply following their orders.
Jolly Rodgers is online now   Reply With Quote
Old December 31, 2017, 13:01   #47
V guy
Dinosaur
Silver Contributor

FALaholic #: 10282
What happened AFTER they shot the kid?

Did they have a happy fizzies party?

Did the police stand down?............ or did they rush in, guns blazing, and roust the whole family inside to beat them down/tie them up?

A rush home inspection looking for bodies and hostages HAD to happen, but ONLY after neutralizing the criminal family inside--- as anyone, or all, could be the killer. Only then could the search and rescue of hostages begin.

So, did they then run the lot of the family outside in cuffs and interrogate them?

YOU bet your bippy they did, and roughly at that.
We do not hear about that part of the incident.

After killing the first guy, they HAD to be more bad guys inside, hiding in secret rooms with guns and hostages.

Trying to find out who is dead and where are the hostages is what SWAT does.

Only then might the dead guy be examined for signs of life.........oops.
V guy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old December 31, 2017, 15:11   #48
PBR Streetgang
Registered

FALaholic #: 8684
A phone call could have saved this man's life. If they couldn't get his number they could have asked him to call them via loudspeaker. They also should have had the guy that made the first call on the phone. This is really all about a lack of intelligence.

--Ayn Rand

"A human being should be able to change a diaper, plan an invasion, butcher a hog, conn a ship, design a building, write a sonnet, balance accounts, build a wall, set a bone, comfort the dying, take orders, give orders, cooperate, act alone, solve equations, analyze a new problem, pitch manure, program a computer, cook a tasty meal, fight efficiently and die gallantly. Specialization is for insects."

-- Robert A. Heinlein

'You have to pinch yourself - a Marxist radical who all his life has been
mentored by, sat at the feet of, worshiped with, befriended, endorsed the
philosophy of, funded and been in turn funded, politically promoted and
supported by a nexus comprising black power anti-white racists, Jew-haters,
revolutionary Marxists, unrepentant former terrorists and Chicago mobsters,
is on the verge of becoming President of the United States. And apparently
it's considered impolite to say so.'
PBR Streetgang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 31, 2017, 17:37   #49
wanneroo
Registered

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaxxas View Post
I seen a video from some distance away, certainly didn't look like an execution from where I sit. Looks like the dude didn't follow orders.
It's private property and an unsolicited visit, they have no right to demand anything at all.

Even if people say he "didn't follow orders", well, that doesn't deserve an execution. There is no deadly weapon on display and no deadly threat being directed at anyone. American police need to get this thing out of their head they can immediately execute someone for "not following orders".
Old December 31, 2017, 18:05   #50
Tak
Registered

FALaholic #: 27291
Quote:
It's private property and an unsolicited visit, they have no right to demand anything at all.

Even if people say he "didn't follow orders", well, that doesn't deserve an execution. There is no deadly weapon on display and no deadly threat being directed at anyone. American police need to get this thing out of their head they can immediately execute someone for "not following orders".
Not being a perfect player of Simon Says shouldn't be a death sentence.

It seems there are more than a few cops out there where that has become the status quo.

If you ever watch 'Live PD' you can see what the world of 'commands' has become. Too often its a cop screaming in a barely intelligible diction a string of commands that are seemingly nonsensical to someone who suddenly finds themselves in the gun sights of several cops often for reasons they don't really understand.

Departments in my opinion reaaaaly need to evaluate they way they do these commands at gunpoint things.

It's like Simon says meets the hokey pokey meets twister with guns pointed at your head the whole time. One wrong flinch and the cop can kill you and just say 'you reached' or they were 'scared' or you didn't 'follow commands'.

I really try to support cops but something needs to be done about how they approach this chit.
Tak is online now   Reply With Quote