Go Back   The FAL Files > Weapons Discussion > General Firearms Discussion

Notices

Old December 27, 2017, 21:41   #1
madmax_fal
Registered
Contributor

FALaholic #: 78386
Thoughts on the Galil Ace

I have never shot an AK or AK variant befoe, but the Galil Ace in .308 has caught my eye recently so I thought I would see if anyone here has any advice. Can anybody here give me some first hand info on reliability, accuracy, handling, etc? Is it worth the price?

Thanks!

Last edited by madmax_fal; December 31, 2017 at 10:16.
madmax_fal is online now   Reply With Quote
Old December 27, 2017, 23:25   #2
VALMET
Curio & Relic
Bronze Contributor

FALaholic #: 1826
Having owned and fired many semi AK types I can tell you I was very underwhelmed when I had the IWI ACE in 308 in my hands (esp for the $1699 price-tag). Can’t say I’ve cut fired an ACE but wasn’t moved to track one down to shoot following my encounter.

"Dammit Smithers this is brain surgery, not rocket science!" -C. Montgomery Burns
VALMET is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 28, 2017, 00:29   #3
Tuhlmann
THAT guy
Contributor

FALaholic #: 69411
I've owned and shot a pretty wide cross section of AK variants. I really, really want to be able to justify that $1500ish price tag, but for a plastic receiver and some removable rail covers I just can't bring myself to do it. If it was priced at <$1K I'd already have one. However, you can get a very nicely built Arsenal in any number of flavors that may appeal to you that will fire the same projectile the same velocity using the same mags using a more traditional manual of arms (for an AK), and several for much less than $1K.

The difference in price equals a metric shit-ton of 7.62x39mm surplus ammo.

ETA: Nevermind my senseless ramblings above. I completely missed that you were looking for the .308 version! May be a different animal indeed.

ďIím saying: Think about your contribution to society. Be careful when you get into a business that extracts value. Broaden your idea about whatís enough. And for Godís sake, think about who you are.Ē - J. Bogle

Last edited by Tuhlmann; December 28, 2017 at 03:01. Reason: Missed the .308 qualifier.....
Tuhlmann is online now   Reply With Quote
Old December 28, 2017, 00:52   #4
SWOHFAL
Registered

FALaholic #: 34346
Are these rebuildable with kit parts to replace the plastic OEM crap?

- Fyodor Dostoevsky
SWOHFAL is online now   Reply With Quote
Old December 28, 2017, 01:02   #5
cowbilly
Registered
Bronze Contributor

FALaholic #: 2908
I have one and like it. I use Brownells 20rd aluminum mags or steel AR10 type mags, Pmags work but I have found the bolt will butcher the followers up some. My only complaints would be the front handguard being too short for my tastes and the pistol grip is a little different but I don't notice it when I am shooting. It is not the most accurate .308 but that is to be expected from the type of action especially when compared to various AR10s. I can get 2 MOA from it with decent ammo, may can get less with the right reload. Reliability is excellent, buttstock is fugly but works very well and is comfortable. If you like .308 and are used to the characteristics of the round you will like the Galil Ace. Being a 7.62x51/.308 fanboy, I am at home with it, just be aware that the AK action gets wilder as you move up in caliber. The Ace is definitely more refined of the AK bunch.

Cost is always relative-if it has your eye and you have the coin, go for it. My .02 of course.

SWOHFAL: Supposedly it is a similar milled receiver to the original but I have not taken my polymer lower off to confirm, someone was talking about doing such a thing with theirs-have to do a search.
cowbilly is online now   Reply With Quote
Old December 28, 2017, 06:47   #6
Thorack
Acquisition Corp Dude
Bronze Contributor

FALaholic #: 748
Well,

Im planning on buying one sometime in the new year. Just cant justify totally rebuilding a VEPR 308 vs just buying a Galil Ace. Having several rifles that use DPMS ar-10 type mags will be great.

Thorack

2. Never let Doctors cut on you unless its life or death and ALWAYS get a second opinion.
Thorack is online now   Reply With Quote
Old December 28, 2017, 12:05   #7
suppressor
Registered

FALaholic #: 64166
Pretty confident that the American Rifleman issue for Jan. 2018 article on the Ace triggered this thread.

Good article, I was interested in reading about it.

Milled receiver covered in polymer, so a pretty heavy rifle at 8+ lbs.
suppressor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 28, 2017, 12:14   #8
madmax_fal
Registered
Contributor

FALaholic #: 78386
Quote:
Originally Posted by suppressor View Post
Pretty confident that the American Rifleman issue for Jan. 2018 article on the Ace triggered this thread.

Good article, I was interested in reading about it.

Milled receiver covered in polymer, so a pretty heavy rifle at 8+ lbs.
Correct! But everyone else seems to say pretty much the same thing they did
Old December 28, 2017, 16:23   #9
nightschneider
Registered

FALaholic #: 1993
I picked one up pre election, as I thought it would be a good investment if Hillary were to get in.

I have found myself liking it quite a bit, though I did not expect to.

I threw a scope on it, and it held 1.5" with good quality Federal ammo - which pleased me.

the recoil is exceptionally mild, and it is a hell of a handy size for a .308. The action is smooth as butter...really a pleasant gun to handle and shoot in all ways. The trigger is military, nothing special, but no hindrance to me.

I'm not a fan of the furniture, but overall I am happy with the rifle, and have no plans of selling it off.

Like every AK I've seen thus far, it suppresses for s***. Piston pop is definitely there; it bolt overrides with .308Win ammo; functions fine with 7.62X51, but is brutal on the brass. I have accepted that this is not the semi auto .308 I'm going to suppress....unless the aftermarket comes out with an adjustable gas block, or some other solution to the over gas problem.
nightschneider is online now   Reply With Quote
Old December 28, 2017, 20:10   #10
AliYahu
Registered

FALaholic #: 11084
The term I used to describe it - to IWI - is mamzer. Look that word up. IWI screwed up not importing the 'real' Galil, now they give the (standard, annoying, stereotypical Israeli) line of, "The tooling does not exist any more!"
BS
The early SIG 556 imports were described as if SIG field stripped a 550 and drug it through a Tapco catalog, this is worse!

Eli
AliYahu is online now   Reply With Quote
Old December 28, 2017, 20:17   #11
VALMET
Curio & Relic
Bronze Contributor

FALaholic #: 1826
I agree- what a let down the 556 was! And they made a more valiant attempt with the 551A1 Classic and then they ceased production.

"Dammit Smithers this is brain surgery, not rocket science!" -C. Montgomery Burns
VALMET is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 29, 2017, 01:08   #12
HenryIV
Registered
Bronze Contributor

FALaholic #: 80384
I bought the 7.62x39 version last week. I have not shot it yet. I like the tritium sights. The quality seems very good. The milled receiver is solid, the plastic trigger guard, grip and mag well arnít as bad as one would think. Itís almost as nice as my valmets. Much better quality then my Egyptian, Rumanian and Chinese AKs. Better then a milled receiver yugo also.
HenryIV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 29, 2017, 01:25   #13
Buster H
Registered

FALaholic #: 31644
Henry,

It seems that the vast majority of the x39 rifles need the front sight post raised (unscrewed) to the level of the front sight ears in order to zero. Unfortunately, at this point, there are only a few threads holding the post in. Some have reported wobble, but no reports of posts falling out.

Not sure if issue is present in the NATO caliber versions.

Please let us know about yours when you get a chance to shoot it.

Regards,

Buster

-The Last Argument of Kings
Buster H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 29, 2017, 08:42   #14
yovinny
Registered
Bronze Contributor

FALaholic #: 7679
Quote:
Originally Posted by AliYahu View Post
The early SIG 556 imports were described as if SIG field stripped a 550 and drug it through a Tapco catalog, this is worse!
LMAO,,,...thats classic
yovinny is online now   Reply With Quote
Old December 29, 2017, 22:51   #15
HenryIV
Registered
Bronze Contributor

Buster,

Thanks for the heads up about the front sight. That would be an unpleasant surprise at the range. Now I know to look out for that issue. I will report how it does at the range.
Old December 30, 2017, 00:41   #16
grumpy1
Registered

FALaholic #: 72190
Wow, I don’t think I would drop the coin to pick one of these up. But for about the same money I would buy a Robinson Arms XCR. If one thinks of it as the Love child of an AR, AK, and FAL.

I like the original Galil but the new ACE is one I’d pass on.

Last edited by grumpy1; December 30, 2017 at 01:10.
grumpy1 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old December 30, 2017, 23:23   #17
HenryIV
Registered
Bronze Contributor

Range Report

I shot my ACE 7.62X39 rifle today. I give it a big thumbs up!
It was flawless with Winchester brass case and Russian steel case ammo.
It zeroed without issue for me. It is made to be zeroed at 250m. To do this the manual recomends setting it to be 26mm high at 25m. Thats what I did, and it was on target with the front post still at a very reasonable height, not crazy high as reported elsewhere. Keep in mind that with this correct zero it will shoot somewhat high at 100, one source I read says about 7" This seems like a good battle zero to me, and is what IWI intends. I think some of the chatter on the net is people trying to zero it right on at 100 and not reading the manual or understanding the battle zero concept. Anyway, the zero was a non issue for me.

Other notes: The top cover is very tight and secure. I have not mounted a red dot yet, and may not ever, but it seems like it would serve as a fine mounting base for a rifle with the intended range of use under 500 yards. The trigger was fine too. Not a match trigger, but pretty reasonable, no need to replace it. The price? Well, it is what it is. I was willing to pay it for a quality rifle, as I collect AK variants. It's about the same at an M1A, and the finish quality I would rate as a little better then a new M1A. For reference I shot it side be side with my Norinco/Group Ind NFA AK. The ACE shoots much softer, and comes with a substantial buffer. The Norinco was jarring and crude to shoot by comparison (I was not running a buffer in the Norinco to be fair.). It was much easier to be accurate with the Galil. The irons are way better then the basic Chinese sights.

The American Rifleman story said the ACE has been adopted by several countries' militaries. I like this in a rifle, that it can pass an adoption trial. Too many rifles seem cool, but are not robust enough for service use. I prefer service grade weapons.
Old December 30, 2017, 23:25   #18
d_s
Registered

FALaholic #: 5575
Quote:
Originally Posted by AliYahu View Post
The term I used to describe it - to IWI - is mamzer. Look that word up. IWI screwed up not importing the 'real' Galil, now they give the (standard, annoying, stereotypical Israeli) line of, "The tooling does not exist any more!"
BS

Eli
A BIG +1 there!!!! You nailed it
d_s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 31, 2017, 03:04   #19
Buster H
Registered

FALaholic #: 31644
Quote:
Originally Posted by HenryIV View Post
I shot my ACE 7.62X39 rifle today. I give it a big thumbs up!
It was flawless with Winchester brass case and Russian steel case ammo.
It zeroed without issue for me. It is made to be zeroed at 250m. To do this the manual recomends setting it to be 26mm high at 25m. Thats what I did, and it was on target with the front post still at a very reasonable height, not crazy high as reported elsewhere. Keep in mind that with this correct zero it will shoot somewhat high at 100, one source I read says about 7" This seems like a good battle zero to me, and is what IWI intends. I think some of the chatter on the net is people trying to zero it right on at 100 and not reading the manual or understanding the battle zero concept. Anyway, the zero was a non issue for me.

Other notes: The top cover is very tight and secure. I have not mounted a red dot yet, and may not ever, but it seems like it would serve as a fine mounting base for a rifle with the intended range of use under 500 yards. The trigger was fine too. Not a match trigger, but pretty reasonable, no need to replace it. The price? Well, it is what it is. I was willing to pay it for a quality rifle, as I collect AK variants. It's about the same at an M1A, and the finish quality I would rate as a little better then a new M1A. For reference I shot it side be side with my Norinco/Group Ind NFA AK. The ACE shoots much softer, and comes with a substantial buffer. The Norinco was jarring and crude to shoot by comparison (I was not running a buffer in the Norinco to be fair.). It was much easier to be accurate with the Galil. The irons are way better then the basic Chinese sights.

The American Rifleman story said the ACE has been adopted by several countries' militaries. I like this in a rifle, that it can pass an adoption trial. Too many rifles seem cool, but are not robust enough for service use. I prefer service grade weapons.
Inch high at 25 meters? That'll work.

Was there any visible daylight under the round disc portion of the front sight post after you adjusted it to the above zero?

Thanks for the great range report.

Buster

-The Last Argument of Kings

Last edited by Buster H; December 31, 2017 at 03:05. Reason: Clarity
Buster H is offline   Reply With Quote