The FAL Files  

Go Back   The FAL Files > Weapon Specific Forums > The L1A1, inch-pattern, and Indian Files

Notices

Old December 26, 2017, 10:31   #1
slag
Registered

FALaholic #: 1507
Untouched BSA L1A1 SLR

my LEO CAI import... untouched, including the flaking paint on the receiver. If you are trying to build up a brit with an original appearance, or verify a LEO rifle, you may find these pictures useful.

Last edited by slag; December 27, 2017 at 15:30.
slag is online now   Reply With Quote
Old December 26, 2017, 12:24   #2
01BIRDDOG
Registered

FALaholic #: 54639
Nice L1A1 in original condition.
01BIRDDOG is online now   Reply With Quote
Old December 26, 2017, 12:39   #3
pl521
Registered

FALaholic #: 74645
Very nice. Thank you for sharing the pictures. Should put ona sticky for future reference.
pl521 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old December 26, 2017, 17:27   #4
Falcon
Curio & Relic
Contributor

FALaholic #: 2049
Quote:
...you may find these pictures useful
Maybe...if you took them with a better quality camera.
Old December 27, 2017, 09:35   #5
ncreptile
Registered
Contributor

FALaholic #: 39586
So these are sought after because they are easily converted(which of course is illegal and nobody would do) to selective fire?

Not trying to entrap anyone. I know such questions are taboo but I am just now getting into FAL rifles and am trying to understand why a CAI rifle would be so valued?
ncreptile is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 27, 2017, 10:12   #6
SPEEDGUNNER
Firearms Connoisseur
Gold Contributor

FALaholic #: 43933
Since it seems as if most of these LEO L1A1 rifles are dated late 50's to early 60's, what timeframe for use did they most likely see? When were they retired? Did they go to the Falklands? How difficult is it to find inch mags dated in the early 60's? Or would 70's dates be correct?

Nice rifle. Had you resized the pictures they might be sharper and easier to view, but we appreciate your taking the time to share the detail on your rifle. Very nice, and like many others here I would love to own it.

Happy New Year!
And they roam the world at will."
- Robert Service
SPEEDGUNNER is online now   Reply With Quote
Old December 27, 2017, 11:40   #7
hkshooter
Mighty Fine!
Contributor

FALaholic #: 5391
Quote:
Originally Posted by ncreptile View Post
So these are sought after because they are easily converted(which of course is illegal and nobody would do) to selective fire?

Not trying to entrap anyone. I know such questions are taboo but I am just now getting into FAL rifles and am trying to understand why a CAI rifle would be so valued?
They are so valued because they are original rifles, not kit builds on random receivers. Compare them to G model FN's. Very few of them, therefore rare, and people love rare stuff. They are not considered machine guns and cannot legally be converted to such unless by manuf FFL for LEO.
Old December 27, 2017, 16:39   #8
Riversidesports
Curio & Relic
Silver Contributor

FALaholic #: 36091
Quote:
Originally Posted by ncreptile View Post

Well they were never built as select fire guns reptile

Deal was Armex started selling these way back in the 80s, Century stepped in a bit later. There were also C1s being brought down from Canada by officers as early as the late 70s. There is a minty Canuck C1 in a display case in the BCA headquarters in Bemidji MN. Knew of a few LEOs that brought C1s in back in the 80s they obtained through RCMP & NWMP connections.

Anyways they are fully original military rifles not parts kits rebuilds and that's where the value is
At the time they were only sold to Law Enforcement thus they were able to skate around the 922r stupidity
same way early CZ75s and German made Walther TPH pistols came here
Even Draganovs came under the LE/Mil exemptions

Funny nobody really acts on this these days. Cops could lawfully import a Chinese semi AK or Draganov even now for a fraction of current market value.
Riversidesports is online now   Reply With Quote
Old December 27, 2017, 17:52   #9
hkshooter
Mighty Fine!
Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Riversidesports View Post
Well they were never built as select fire guns reptile

Deal was Armex started selling these way back in the 80s, Century stepped in a bit later. There were also C1s being brought down from Canada by officers as early as the late 70s. There is a minty Canuck C1 in a display case in the BCA headquarters in Bemidji MN. Knew of a few LEOs that brought C1s in back in the 80s they obtained through RCMP & NWMP connections.

Anyways they are fully original military rifles not parts kits rebuilds and that's where the value is
At the time they were only sold to Law Enforcement thus they were able to skate around the 922r stupidity
same way early CZ75s and German made Walther TPH pistols came here
Even Draganovs came under the LE/Mil exemptions

Funny nobody really acts on this these days. Cops could lawfully import a Chinese semi AK or Draganov even now for a fraction of current market value.
When these came in there was no 922r, correct? No need to skirt a law that didn't exist.
Old December 27, 2017, 17:56   #10
enbloc8
Registered

FALaholic #: 51665
Quote:
Originally Posted by SPEEDGUNNER View Post
Since it seems as if most of these LEO L1A1 rifles are dated late 50's to early 60's, what timeframe for use did they most likely see? When were they retired? Did they go to the Falklands? How difficult is it to find inch mags dated in the early 60's? Or would 70's dates be correct?

Nice rifle. Had you resized the pictures they might be sharper and easier to view, but we appreciate your taking the time to share the detail on your rifle. Very nice, and like many others here I would love to own it.

Happy New Year!
These would have seen service into the mid-late 80s at least. I believe some saw frontline duty during the Gulf War in 1991 when its replacement, the SA80, turned out to be a disaster in service.

These saw plenty of action in the Falklands, though identifying an actual rifle that saw service there is probably next to impossible now. British mags of any date, as well as unmarked Australian mags (purchased along with many other spares from Australia late in its service life) are accurate for this rifle.
enbloc8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 27, 2017, 18:35   #11
Riversidesports
Curio & Relic
Silver Contributor

FALaholic #: 36091
Quote:
Originally Posted by hkshooter View Post
When these came in there was no 922r, correct? No need to skirt a law that didn't exist.
Yes & no HK

The early ARMEX imports were pre 922r but still LEO only. Seem to recall they were Australian guns for some Asian area contract.

The Century imports were post 922r and were a mix of Brit, Indian and some Lithgowe.

There are still a mess of these guns out there held by folks who have zero clue what they own. Most folks look at them and thing Gee, just another Century junker someone altered. I recently sold a wood set to a guy I know who snagged his at a Pawn Shop for $700 out the door. Real clean UK gun with 4 mags they had on consignment.

Understand Century was selling theirs well into the 90s, I think even after the 94' AW act
Riversidesports is online now   Reply With Quote
Old December 27, 2017, 19:20   #12
hkshooter
Mighty Fine!
Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Riversidesports View Post
Yes & no HK

The early ARMEX imports were pre 922r but still LEO only. Seem to recall they were Australian guns for some Asian area contract.

The Century imports were post 922r and were a mix of Brit, Indian and some Lithgowe.

There are still a mess of these guns out there held by folks who have zero clue what they own. Most folks look at them and thing Gee, just another Century junker someone altered. I recently sold a wood set to a guy I know who snagged his at a Pawn Shop for $700 out the door. Real clean UK gun with 4 mags they had on consignment.

Understand Century was selling theirs well into the 90s, I think even after the 94' AW act
Thanks. Learn something everyday.
Old December 27, 2017, 20:03   #13
Falcon
Curio & Relic
Contributor

FALaholic #: 2049
I see you've resized them like speedgunner suggested...much improved now.