The FAL Files  

Go Back   The FAL Files > Weapon Specific Forums > The Bolt Action Files

Notices

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old November 26, 2017, 11:38   #1
ArtBanks
Veteran Member
Platinum Contributor
 
FALaholic #: 28761
Join Date: May 2007
Location: New Preston, CT
Posts: 1,227
Savage 10 BA Stealth 6.5 Creedmoor.

Picked up a new Savage for the herd yesterday.
Made a couple of changes on the Savage Stealth 6.5 Creedmoor. Replaced the crappy butt stock with my favorite, the XLR and added a SEI vortex to the muzzle.
Ran another 20 rnds today. This rifle , almost, shoots itself. What a joy. Throws the AR-500 prairie dogs at 150 yds farther than the 30-06. This little baby has some serious whoop arse.





Semper Fi
Art
ArtBanks is online now   Reply With Quote
Old November 26, 2017, 12:08   #2
olgier
Curio & Relic
Bronze Contributor
 
FALaholic #: 17951
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: maine
Posts: 2,925
someday I will have one of those. lol

I like it!
__________________
“Think of the press as a great keyboard on which the government can play. The tune does not matter, so long it is the only one the public is allowed to hear. Eventually they will all dance.” – Joseph Goebbels

"And if you believe ANYTHING a musloid or a Marxist tells you, even about simple, rudimentary arithmetic, you deserve whatever hell you get." - Ann Barnhardt
olgier is online now   Reply With Quote
Old November 26, 2017, 14:33   #3
Eyeguy
Registered
Bronze Contributor
 
FALaholic #: 73288
Join Date: Feb 2014
Location: Central Florida
Posts: 1,092
Quote:
Originally Posted by ArtBanks View Post
Picked up a new Savage for the herd yesterday.
Made a couple of changes on the Savage Stealth 6.5 Creedmoor. Replaced the crappy butt stock with my favorite, the XLR and added a SEI vortex to the muzzle.
Semper Fi
Art
Have the XLR Element stock on my Bergara LRP in 6 Creedmoor. Love it. They make a quality product.
Eyeguy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old November 26, 2017, 15:59   #4
ArtBanks
Veteran Member
Platinum Contributor
 
FALaholic #: 28761
Join Date: May 2007
Location: New Preston, CT
Posts: 1,227
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eyeguy View Post
Have the XLR Element stock on my Bergara LRP in 6 Creedmoor. Love it. They make a quality product.
Borrowed this one off one of my Bula Defense XM21s. Just ordered a replacement.
I don't believe there is a more stable buttstock available. I had the fancy Magpul on the XM21 for a time, but just didn't feel right. I really like all the adjustments on the XLR. Even get it to fit my chubby mug.

Semper Fi
Art
ArtBanks is online now   Reply With Quote
Old November 26, 2017, 19:51   #5
Merl
Registered
 
Merl's Avatar
 
FALaholic #: 17774
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: Colorado
Posts: 366
Is that a savage made chassis that takes AR parts & mags?
Merl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 26, 2017, 20:09   #6
Eyeguy
Registered
Bronze Contributor
 
FALaholic #: 73288
Join Date: Feb 2014
Location: Central Florida
Posts: 1,092
Quote:
Originally Posted by Merl View Post
Is that a savage made chassis that takes AR parts & mags?
No. XLR Industries makes monolithic chassis' for a number of actions. Happened to be the chassis that my Bergara B-17 bolt action came with from the factory.

As Art said, he's used it on this Savage and Bula XM21.

https://xlrindustries.com/collections/chassis
Eyeguy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old November 26, 2017, 20:51   #7
tac-40
Moderator
Armed Curmudgeon
 
tac-40's Avatar
 
FALaholic #: 12090
Join Date: Oct 2003
Location: SC-Low Country
Posts: 7,421
You probably already know this, but make sure you try out the full range of bullet weights to find out which your rifle likes best. And that can take some close inspections to see the difference. My RPR likes the 130 to 143 grain bullets. The heavier 147 grain stuff opens the groups about a ½ MOA. 129 and lighter works well out to 200 yds but really opens up beyond that distance, close to ¾ to 1 MOA out to 600 yards. Of course this may be the shooter and environment and not the ammo, but it does seem to be consistent on different shooting days and conditions.
__________________
Only 2 defining forces have ever offered to die for you. Jesus Christ and the American Soldier. One died for your soul, the other for your freedom.

Schools uses to start with the "three R's". Reading, writing, and arithmetic. Now they start with the "three D's". Dipshitery, Dumbassery, and Douchebaggery-Retired Bum

If you do in fact have a problem, you have the rest of your life to solve it. How long your life lasts only depends on how well you solve it.
tac-40 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old November 27, 2017, 05:34   #8
ArtBanks
Veteran Member
Platinum Contributor
 
FALaholic #: 28761
Join Date: May 2007
Location: New Preston, CT
Posts: 1,227
Quote:
Originally Posted by tac-40 View Post
You probably already know this, but make sure you try out the full range of bullet weights to find out which your rifle likes best. And that can take some close inspections to see the difference. My RPR likes the 130 to 143 grain bullets. The heavier 147 grain stuff opens the groups about a ½ MOA. 129 and lighter works well out to 200 yds but really opens up beyond that distance, close to ¾ to 1 MOA out to 600 yards. Of course this may be the shooter and environment and not the ammo, but it does seem to be consistent on different shooting days and conditions.
Thanks for the advice. My experimenting with this caliber is just in it's infancy.
Being a reloader and experience with .308 and .223 this one is icing on the cake.
All first hand information is appreciated. That from the boogey woogey google boys from company Z is generally rejected on the spot.

Semper Fi
Art
ArtBanks is online now   Reply With Quote
Old November 30, 2017, 18:14   #9
55bird
Veteran Member
Silver Contributor
 
55bird's Avatar
 
FALaholic #: 799
Join Date: Aug 2000
Location: St. Petersburg, Fl
Posts: 1,435
Nice stuff, glad someone else is into these for I am an amateur learning as I go.
Dang good looking set up.
__________________
The very things my grade school teachers of the 1960's warned me about communism,my government is today
55bird is online now   Reply With Quote
Old December 02, 2017, 21:27   #10
ratas calientes
Registered
Bronze Contributor
 
ratas calientes's Avatar
 
FALaholic #: 1841
Join Date: Dec 2000
Location: New Mexico
Posts: 8,992
How did you decide to select the Savage over, say, the River Precision Rifle? I keep vacillating between these two.
__________________
Ratas Calientes (Hot Rats)
Rats are people too!
ratas calientes is online now   Reply With Quote
Old December 03, 2017, 05:40   #11
ArtBanks
Veteran Member
Platinum Contributor
 
FALaholic #: 28761
Join Date: May 2007
Location: New Preston, CT
Posts: 1,227
Quote:
Originally Posted by ratas calientes View Post
How did you decide to select the Savage over, say, the River Precision Rifle? I keep vacillating between these two.
Had a fellow on my range with one in .308 let me give it a go. Just like the feel of the rifle. I knew right away what I was going to do for a butt stock. Replace the original with the XLR.
Since the photo above , I have added a Precision armament M11 Severe-Duty Muzzle brake.
I think perhaps the fact that I also have other Savage 10 and 110 rifles that it added to my choice.
ArtBanks is online now   Reply With Quote
Old December 17, 2017, 18:22   #12
Andy2205
Registered
 
FALaholic #: 26110
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: Fl. Panhandle
Posts: 280
Nice looking rig Art. I just got out to shoot my Model 10 today. I saw the XLR site while looking at stocks and they had $150 instant savings. Ordered up the Evolution chassis and got it for under the listed cost with my options.

Love the chassis, but it does have more than just a couple of different size allen screws holding it together. Had to tighten up the butt stock tube after today's trip to the range.

What magazines are you using? I ordered two ten round Magpul mazines and have noticed that they don't like locking into the mag well.

Hoping the chassis will help tighten up the groups compared to the factory stock.
__________________
" We sleep safe in our beds because rough men stand ready in the night to visit violence on those who would do us harm. "
Andy2205 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old December 17, 2017, 19:54   #13
ArtBanks
Veteran Member
Platinum Contributor
 
FALaholic #: 28761
Join Date: May 2007
Location: New Preston, CT
Posts: 1,227
I bought a few MDTTAC. The ones that come stock with the Stealth.
Only XLR part on mine is the butt stock.
ArtBanks is online now   Reply With Quote
Old December 18, 2017, 07:04   #14
Andy2205
Registered
 
FALaholic #: 26110
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: Fl. Panhandle
Posts: 280
Thanks for the lead on the metal mags, looks like they are a bit more affordable than the other I've managed to find. Maybe I can get Mrs. Santa to stuff a couple in the stocking.

Good luck with your build. I've only had limited experience with precision rifles. My Savage 10 FCP was pretty decent out of the box using the Leupold 3.5x10, hopefully this will help tune it.

I have a Sage stocked M1A and the chassis helped that rifle out quit a bit. It's heavy, but I'm not lugging it the field.
__________________
" We sleep safe in our beds because rough men stand ready in the night to visit violence on those who would do us harm. "
Andy2205 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old December 18, 2017, 07:53   #15
ArtBanks
Veteran Member
Platinum Contributor
 
FALaholic #: 28761
Join Date: May 2007
Location: New Preston, CT
Posts: 1,227
The mags I have are not metal. I don't know it they will work with an XLR chassis.
ArtBanks is online now   Reply With Quote
Old December 18, 2017, 10:42   #16
Eyeguy
Registered
Bronze Contributor
 
FALaholic #: 73288
Join Date: Feb 2014
Location: Central Florida
Posts: 1,092
Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy2205 View Post
Nice looking rig Art. I just got out to shoot my Model 10 today. I saw the XLR site while looking at stocks and they had $150 instant savings. Ordered up the Evolution chassis and got it for under the listed cost with my options.

Love the chassis, but it does have more than just a couple of different size allen screws holding it together. Had to tighten up the butt stock tube after today's trip to the range.

What magazines are you using? I ordered two ten round Magpul mazines and have noticed that they don't like locking into the mag well.

Hoping the chassis will help tighten up the groups compared to the factory stock.
XLR is having their "backroom blowout" currently. The Evolution stock is one of the sale items at a great price if anyone else is looking.

http://shop.bergarausa.com/pc_produc...ED36926C84B2F5

Apologies Art if I stepped on your thread.
Eyeguy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old December 18, 2017, 19:28   #17
55bird
Veteran Member
Silver Contributor
 
55bird's Avatar
 
FALaholic #: 799
Join Date: Aug 2000
Location: St. Petersburg, Fl
Posts: 1,435
Is there a specific reason you chose the XLR Tac AR stock over the others?
__________________
The very things my grade school teachers of the 1960's warned me about communism,my government is today
55bird is online now   Reply With Quote
Old December 18, 2017, 20:11   #18
ArtBanks
Veteran Member
Platinum Contributor
 
FALaholic #: 28761
Join Date: May 2007
Location: New Preston, CT
Posts: 1,227
Quote:
Originally Posted by 55bird View Post
Is there a specific reason you chose the XLR Tac AR stock over the others?
I have a couple of them on other weapons and they just seem to be extremely rugged and stable. I don't like some other brands that seem wobbly to me.
This one has the ability to add a rail on the bottom and I use that area to attach M14 front sling swivels. Works great for the cotton slings I use on the majority of my rifles.
ArtBanks is online now   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 22:28.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2018, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
©1998-2018 The FAL Files