Go Back   The FAL Files > Weapon Specific Forums > The FN Files

Notices

Old December 24, 2017, 00:31   #1
DB1915
Registered
Contributor

FALaholic #: 80454
Bedding the SAFN 49??

So. Got a beautiful FN49 off Gunbroker.. Dealer back east said it was a VZ7mm but the price was right so i picked it up.. Imagine my surprise (pleasant) when it came in and was a beautiful late production Lux contract in 30-06! Rifle is pretty much in "As New" condition, all matching metal but in a crap stock... I have one on order from Sarco. They claim they are FN3006 but some of the net chat says guys have been getting some Egyptian so will see. They would not agree to hand pick but said I could return and try another if not satisfied.
In any case looking at the one I have the bedding seems to be a POS design.
No recoil lug, very thin behind the front screw and cracked on my stock, also hairling crack in the rear. I have bedded a bunch of rifles in my day but am at a bit of a loss as to the best way to approach this old gal.. Thinking I may make up some pilars but could sure use any advice or direction out there!
THX
Gofst
DB1915 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 24, 2017, 01:05   #2
slavicshooter
Registered
Bronze Contributor

FALaholic #: 74022
Contact member Safn49 for help.~ss
" In truth there is only one freedom - the holy freedom of Christ, whereby He freed us from sin, from evil, from the devil. It binds us to God. All other freedoms are illusory, false, that is to say, they are all, in fact, slavery."~St. Justin Popovitch

" Slavs are fueled by booze. I thought this was common knowledge."~lew

юродивый
slavicshooter is online now   Reply With Quote
Old December 24, 2017, 02:22   #3
Goose52
Registered

FALaholic #: 4994
The rifle is in "as new" condition but the stock is bad? Are you saying it apparently does not have the original stock? If the stock does appear to be original to the rifle, it's always preferable to work with that stock before replacing it with an incorrect stock from a different contract. There are at least 7 different FN-49 stock configurations by the way...

Anyway, you mentioned that there is no recoil lug so that would indicate that your Lux rifle is serial numbered somewhere between 1001 and 5000 - can you confirm that?

If the rifle IS between serial no. 1001 to 5001, then not only did the stock not originally have a recoil lug/crosbolt, but the receiver also did NOT have a cut to engage a crossbolt (see photo below of a factory milled receiver recoil lug cut just behind the front guard screw boss).

The stock coming in from Sarco is most likely from the Belgian contract and if so, it probably WILL have a crossbolt and it WILL NOT just drop on to a Lux rifle serialed from 1001 to 5000. If your Lux happens to be serialed from 5001 to 7000, then a Belgian stock WILL drop on to the Lux.

So, if your rifle is serialed from 1001 to 5000, and if the stock you receive is from the Belgian contract and does have a crossbolt, AND you WANT to have a crossbolt to work with any bedding scheme that you work up, you would have to machine a cut in the receiver, just behind the front guard screw, like that shown in the photo below.

NOW, in the unlikely event that you DO receive an Egyptian stock (I say unlikely because there are no supplies of original Egyptian contract stocks), then an Egyptian stock will also NOT drop on a Lux rifle (of any serial number) due to a difference in the trigger guard inletting and that would be another problem to solve.

Once you decide which stock you are going to work with, then on to your question about "bedding" the action in the stock. I have never heard of anyone doing that so I can't give specific advice. Generally, for collector value, it's best not to alter it (since it is "as new"). The cracking in the stock between the front guard screw hole and the magazine port is common and doesn't seem to affect accuracy to any degree. Cracking in the stock at the rear of the action can occur if the rifle is fired enough with the guard screws loose. With tight guard screws, it usually doesn't happen.

Usually, FN wood inletting is fairly tight but if you are see any gaps you could apply bedding compound around the sides of the action. I don't think it will really accomplish anything to try to put any bedding compound on the flat surface of the stock that the receiver rests on UNLESS the receiver seems loose with the guard screws tightened, then some additional thickness to that flat bedding surface might help. Regarding pillars, the rear guard screw stock bushing is in essence a pillar. At the front, the trigger guard engages the bottom of the front guard screw boss on the receiver so no pillar needed there. Otherwise, you could research the type of glass-bedding done by folks for Garands and then transfer that over to the FN-49.

At the end of the day, it all comes down to keeping the guard screws tight and usually nothing more needs to be done as far as preventing stock splits. With a good barrel, a lot of FN-49s can shoot near MOA with factory bedding. Since I have never heard of anyone that has glass-bedded an FN-49, I can't give any report on any accuracy improvement there might be with a glass-bedded action.

Last edited by Goose52; December 24, 2017 at 02:41.
Goose52 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old December 24, 2017, 12:07   #4
DB1915
Registered
Contributor

Cool Thx Mr. Goose

The rifle is SN# 6198. I do not think the stock is correct but all the metal matches. It was pretty packed in cosmoline so I wonder if the importer had metal separate from stocks and they just assembled?? The stock has no cross bolt but the receiver is clearly cut for one.. In any case the metal looks to be new so hoping the replacement stock will be better. Other than a HI- Power and and old A5 this will be my first FN rifle. Always liked them but never got around to owning one!
Old December 24, 2017, 12:17   #5
Goose52
Registered

A Lux in that serial number range originally came with a stock serial numbered to the rifle and WITH the recoil lug/crossbolt so, at some point in the past, the stock has been replaced.

The Lux rifles were imported in September 1966 as complete rifles. The stock swap on this rifle would have most likely occurred here in the U.S. sometime in the last 51 years since it was imported.

The Sarco stock (assuming it is Belgian contract) should drop on a Lux in this serial number range.
Old December 26, 2017, 20:25   #6
DB1915
Registered
Contributor

Thanks for the Info!

Waiting on the SArco stock. Will post pics when fitted up.
Thanks again.

PS> Have the FN49 book on order!!
Old December 26, 2017, 22:10   #7
Goose52
Registered

My book (The FN-49 - The Last Elegant Old-World Military Rifle) has been sold out since 2012 so you must have ordered Blake Steven's book (The FN49 - The Rifle That Ran Out of Time). Lots of interesting historical information in Blake's book about the development of the FN self-loading rifles from 1907 to 1949...but not much information about the FN-49 production rifles other than photographs and contract data.

If you were looking for detailed info about the production rifles, including a 25,000 word chapter that describes all the parts variations on the rifle, then you have to wait for the 2nd edition of my book - due out in the middle of 2018...

Last edited by Goose52; December 28, 2017 at 08:41. Reason: Changed year 1909 to 1907
Old December 28, 2017, 00:53   #8
SAFN49
None
Platinum Contributor

FALaholic #: 73015
Quote:
Originally Posted by slavicshooter View Post
Contact member Safn49 for help.~ss
I would need some pics of the current stock, but it usually takes a hot DD blonde that can suck start a Harley to get me into bed.
SAFN49 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 28, 2017, 09:25   #9
gunplumber
Arrogant Bastard
Gold Contributor

FALaholic #: 96
basically, "bedding" is going to be some marine-tex or accuglass at the two screw points. Quick and easy, might help, can't hurt.

And then the tough question of what to do about the barrel. One author suggest raising the handguard such as on a garand. Personally, I would just embrace it for what it is, and not try to make it into something it isn't. 90% of a rifle's accuracy is in the barrel. And if that can't be changed (only seen one new .30-06 barrel), then messing with the other 10% seems a waste of time to me.
Old December 28, 2017, 16:24   #10
raubvogel
Registered
Contributor

FALaholic #: 64403
Hopefully it looks better than mine:
raubvogel is online now   Reply With Quote
Old December 28, 2017, 17:37   #11
Goose52
Registered

If the receiver is sitting flat on bedding surface of the stock, and the guard screws are tightened, it sure looks like the forearm has warped downward !

BUT, make sure that you check if the front of the trigger guard (the part that extends upward and where the front guard screw passes) is properly seating over the boss on the bottom of the receiver for the front guard screw. To see this interface, you could remove the stock and try to mate the trigger guard to the bottom of the receiver to see what you have. If these two parts are not mating properly, that could be preventing the front of the receiver from fully sitting down onto the stock bedding surface, thus elevating the barrel upward and away from what might be a true/straight forearm. Check it out...
Old December 28, 2017, 17:42   #12
Goose52
Registered

Quote:
Originally Posted by gunplumber View Post
basically, "bedding" is going to be some marine-tex or accuglass at the two screw points. Quick and easy, might help, can't hurt.

And then the tough question of what to do about the barrel. One author suggest raising the handguard such as on a garand. Personally, I would just embrace it for what it is, and not try to make it into something it isn't. 90% of a rifle's accuracy is in the barrel. And if that can't be changed (only seen one new .30-06 barrel), then messing with the other 10% seems a waste of time to me.
Sage advice indeed...
Old December 28, 2017, 18:22   #13
gunplumber
Arrogant Bastard
Gold Contributor

FALaholic #: 96
Quick question on that other rifle - since I haven't seen the pics. But I think Goose is on the right track, that the metal interface is hokey so the screws aren't seating all the way. Easiest to confirm (as he said) with stock off.

In addition to that, however, is the bolt hold-open spring moving smoothly? I vaguely remember one rifle where this channel was dented so it didn't fit correctly in the receiver and prevented proper mating (at least there was some reason I made a swaging tool to straighten it..) Tightening TG to receiver caught the edge of the BHO. For me, that's often the biggest pain in reassembly. I really hate that BHO design.
Old December 28, 2017, 18:42   #14
Goose52
Registered

Apologies to the OP for going off-track but look at it as part of your FN-49 learning experience...

Mark - the early contracts (Venezuelan, Egyptian, and earlier Belgian and Lux) had the bolt stop loose in it's hole in the trigger guard and made reassembly sometimes a PITA as you mentioned. However, the later contracts added a retainer clip (secured by a plunger and spring) to hold the bolt stop captive in the trigger guard and eliminated that problem. I can't say if this TG assy has the captive bolt stop as I don't know the chambering/contract of these parts (barreled action, TG assy, stock).
Old December 29, 2017, 15:19   #15
raubvogel
Registered
Contributor

FALaholic #: 64403
Goose, I actually did try trigger guard onto receiver (without wood in the muddle) and it looked to be flush. I will check again. Also, I do not want to take over this thread, so I updated my original thread on this issue with some pictures I took today

Quote:
Quick question on that other rifle - since I haven't seen the pics. But I think Goose is on the right track, that the metal interface is hokey so the screws aren't seating all the way. Easiest to confirm (as he said) with stock off.
As Goose mentioned in the 3rd post in this thread, the problem is that my receiver does not have the cutout for the crossbolt. As soon as I removed it, all is well:

Quote:
In addition to that, however, is the bolt hold-open spring moving smoothly? I vaguely remember one rifle where this channel was dented so it didn't fit correctly in the receiver and prevented proper mating (at least there was some reason I made a swaging tool to straighten it..) Tightening TG to receiver caught the edge of the BHO. For me, that's often the biggest pain in reassembly. I really hate that BHO design.
I did not think about denting, but I might not have looked carefully because at first the bolt hold open fin would get stuck in the channel on the receiver. Probably the right solution was swaging as you did but I cleaned the hole and then light touch with a file and it now moves very smoothly.

Last edited by raubvogel; January 01, 2018 at 22:05.
raubvogel is online now   Reply With Quote