The FAL Files  

Go Back   The FAL Files > Weapon Specific Forums > The L1A1, inch-pattern, and Indian Files

Notices

Old December 23, 2017, 19:49   #1
Ghost
Registered

FALaholic #: 1273
Coonan brit receiver Vs. Inch mags?

I finally got some inch mags for my Coonan receivered L1A1.
Metric mags lock in and feed, but look like the beak at the front is only just supported.
Test fitting the inch mags, they go in but the catch won't engage.
To my eye it looks like the mag is ever so slightly higher at the front, in the mag well than the metric.
I'm thinking that the groove for the beak may be just a touch to high.
Is this the mag issue others have encountered with the Coonans?
Did lowering the bottom edge of the slot correct the issue?

Thanks

* Edit: the metric has a .019" clearance at the front feed lips and bottom of receiver rail, and at least that much clearace at the back and the e block.
the inch has no clearance either place. I'm thinking that another possibility is the cut in the receiver for the beak is possibly to shallow.

Last edited by Ghost; December 23, 2017 at 20:08.
Ghost is online now   Reply With Quote
Old December 23, 2017, 21:25   #2
Trypcil
Curio & Relic
Silver Contributor

FALaholic #: 63101
If you have any loose mag catches lying around try them, for comparison - also try without the release, if they tighten up with your mag release, chances are its the release that needs massaging. Sometimes a wobbly metric in a Commonwealth recvr can be de wobbled, by a different mag release spring, one that hasn't lost its oomphf!
Trypcil is online now   Reply With Quote
Old December 23, 2017, 22:31   #3
Ghost
Registered

Oposite issue, sort of. Metric mags lock tight. Inch mag goes in but the catch doesnt quite get into the rear notch on the mag so its not engaged.
Further examiation reveals the notch in the mag well for the beak is deep enough.
Looking at the mags it appears that the beak on the inch mags is just a hair lower. Rear notches appear to be in the same locations.
Inch mag body is not hanging up on the front of the well so thats not an interference point.
I might have to sacrifice an inch mag to diagnose the issue. Thinking of fieling the bottom of the beak a smidge to see if it locks the . If it does I'll know to lower the notch in the receiver.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trypcil View Post
If you have any loose mag catches lying around try them, for comparison - also try without the release, if they tighten up with your mag release, chances are its the release that needs massaging. Sometimes a wobbly metric in a Commonwealth recvr can be de wobbled, by a different mag release spring, one that hasn't lost its oomphf!
Old December 23, 2017, 22:39   #4
Trypcil
Curio & Relic
Silver Contributor

No i get it - just extra info. It likely won't be the mags - assuming the rcvr machining is to spec - its likely the mag catch that is causing you your issues, and possibly the spring as well. The flat face of the mag release, where the Mag brushes up is probably pushing the mag forward and tight. By taking some metal off with a file from the face, not the top edge where it latches, going carefully should fix your issue - by giving space to allow latching. As I said if you have extra releases try them to see if size matters!
Old December 23, 2017, 23:15   #5
Ghost
Registered

Humm,
I dont have any extra commonwealth catches.
I cant close the catch by applying extra force with my fingers.
I could try a metric mag catch.

Edit: new development, I used a metric catch, minus the spring. I was able to get the inch mag to lock. And on furter inspection of the inch catch i think it may be Indian. Only indian part, every thing else is british, Enfield and BSA. I think I'm going to be trying to track down a proper British catch.

Quote:
No i get it - just extra info. It likely won't be the mags - assuming the rcvr machining is to spec - its likely the mag catch that is causing you your issues, and possibly the spring as well. The flat face of the mag release, where the Mag brushes up is probably pushing the mag forward and tight. By taking some metal off with a file from the face, not the top edge where it latches, going carefully should fix your issue - by giving space to allow latching. As I said if you have extra releases try them to see if size matters!

Last edited by Ghost; December 23, 2017 at 23:38.
Old December 24, 2017, 01:15   #6
Trypcil
Curio & Relic
Silver Contributor

If you don't care for that 'Indian' mag release try filing it to see if you can get it to work.
Old December 24, 2017, 09:50   #7
gunplumber
Arrogant Bastard
Gold Contributor

FALaholic #: 96
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ghost View Post
I finally got some inch mags for my Coonan receivered L1A1.
Metric mags lock in and feed, but look like the beak at the front is only just supported.
Test fitting the inch mags, they go in but the catch won't engage.
To my eye it looks like the mag is ever so slightly higher at the front, in the mag well than the metric.
I'm thinking that the groove for the beak may be just a touch to high.
Is this the mag issue others have encountered with the Coonans?
Did lowering the bottom edge of the slot correct the issue?

Thanks

* Edit: the metric has a .019" clearance at the front feed lips and bottom of receiver rail, and at least that much clearance at the back and the e block.
the inch has no clearance either place. I'm thinking that another possibility is the cut in the receiver for the beak is possibly to shallow.
That the FAL mag fits, does not mean it will function. They are not interchangeable.

The reason your L1A1 mags don't fit is because the Coonan L1A1 Brit cut receiver is fundamentally defective. I reported on this with meticulous documentation, when they first came out. Don't have time to search for you, but it's on here somewhere.

I can re-machine the magazine well so that the mag will fit. Even then, it might have bolt-over-base because of incorrect rail height, but there's nothing I can do about that.

What you absolutely do not want to do, is to alter the mag catch - only a f-cking moron with no clue would recommend that. Or a corrupt manufacturer.

(Yeah, I have several DSA rifles in the shop now for mag fitting issues similar to your Coonan. Already blessed by DSA's warranty (sic). One of them has been back twice. DSA's was to modify the dimensionally correct mag catch to fit their defective receiver. That this means the mag is too low relative to the bolt face, well so what? We're DSA! - It's the Chigao Way!)

An Indian catch will usually have "C." on the back face. I'm working on a documentary of differentiating L1 from 1A parts. But the mag catch should be interchangeable.

Last edited by gunplumber; December 24, 2017 at 09:59.
gunplumber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 24, 2017, 11:22   #8
Trypcil
Curio & Relic
Silver Contributor

Explain why please GP ?
Old December 24, 2017, 11:50   #9
Brian in MN
Registered

FALaholic #: 289
Quote:
- assuming the rcvr machining is to spec -

This is where you went wrong.
Old December 24, 2017, 21:40   #10
fal fiend
Curio & Relic
Bronze Contributor

FALaholic #: 7091
I finally test fired my coonan l1a1 build/ inch mags locked up good/ it ran fine, fired 3 mags/ metrics will lock up in mine/ but would not feed.
Old December 29, 2017, 18:29   #11
Ghost
Registered

Big up date.
GP, before you replied, I installed a metric catch (minus spring). The metric catch would lock mags. I then pulled the catch, compared the metric catch to the Indian one by installing a scew through the axis hole of both catches simultaneously. The Indian catch was WAY longer. About 1/32" longer. Its amazing the metric mags locked up.
at this point i decided to get a true brit catch, and consider the Indian one expendable. I then adjusted the Indian catch to duplicate the metric one. I installed it and one of my inch mags locked in, with force, one didn't. I adjusted until they both fit, but a bit of force was required. I increased my inch mag sampeling to five and all locked in, witn force.
Next i test fired the rifle for the first time. Every thing worked but occasionally maybe one round in 40 would feed at to horizontal an angle and seat a bullet to far in its case and not fully chamber (thankfully).
I just received a true British catch. Compared to the modified Indian, it is shorter still, though very slightly.
All inch mags lock in place with normal pressure.
I believe the longer length of the Indian catch was causing the occasional misfeed. Its longer length holding the mag to high in the back. I suspect this new genuine British catch will correct the issue.

I will note now that this particular Coonan has now gone togather with none of the flaws and issues others have had with them. Its a good thing because I got it custom matched to the lower.
This is my first Coonan, and a sample size of one. I'm totally aware of the problems others have. I may have the only trouble free Coonan L1A1 receiver.
I ordered this receiver at the start of the Coonan L1A1 production. At the time no one else made a British L1A1 receiver, and you would have had to hunt down an enterprise Buena park. Also at the time Coonans reputation was very good.
The Coonan gap still bugs me, also the feed ramp shelf thing. I think that those issues should have been fixed in the FAC days. Certainly by the time of independent marketing, and before all the custom options were made avalible. Thats probably just me though. I am glad mine was trouble free when used with correct parts.

Last edited by Ghost; December 29, 2017 at 22:32.